ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
z3scot said:
I just bought the Costco battery. Since the dealer did a bogus battery test with their tester, (battery is fine)I asked what the criteria is at Costco for a replacement under warranty. They told me they replace the battery (not prorated) in the warranty period if the customer requests it.
That sold me since the 42 month warranty is longer than the Optima battery at almost half the price.
The Costco battery fits fine, is heavier and bigger than the stock one.

I was parked at the airport for a week. I checked the battery voltage before starting, it was the same voltage as it was when I parked.

The new battery has much less voltage sag when powering the car from off - aux - ready.

By the way, apparently the car was doing cabin heating/cooling even though it wasn't plugged in. The display showed it had finished the climate cycle that morning.

~~ Scott

Did you get the group 35 or 24f??

Anyone have issues with corrosion? I got in our RAV today and it was dead (3 yrs, 1 mo old). I popped the hood and the positive terminal was just a mountain of corrosion, and it had pretty much eaten away the copper. I got it off, but now I can't get the bolt off the copper part to separate it from the plastic fuse assembly, and of course the car is dead.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

jspearman said:
Anyone have issues with corrosion? I got in our RAV today and it was dead (3 yrs, 1 mo old). I popped the hood and the positive terminal was just a mountain of corrosion, and it had pretty much eaten away the copper. I got it off, but now I can't get the bolt off the copper part to separate it from the plastic fuse assembly, and of course the car is dead.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Probably a broken terminal seal allowing acid to wick up and create the lead sulfate bloom. Top shelf is to replace cable and battery.
Otherwise the lead sulfate is water soluble so just soak it.

I ordered the Odyssey (Group 35) battery from Amazon, knowing that our RAV4 EV was coming up on three year mark. The battery arrived last Wednesday, and through sheer chance the RAV4 did the "Low" on full charge nonsense for the first time the next day, but after a power off/on it started normally. Probably had a few more weeks in the OEM battery but went ahead and replaced it on Saturday. It wasnt a perfect fit, but plenty close enough for the bracket to hold it in place just fine. Definitely a heavier and higher quality battery than what it replaced.

Costco in Lake Elsinore, CA has both group 24 and 27. The also have 6 volt golf cart batteries, buy two of those and you won't need to replace them for ten years, $83 each. :lol:

Well just after the two year mark (42000 miles) I had to "Jump Start" my Rav4EV for the first time. :eek: The dash was dead and nothing came on. Battery voltage at the terminals was 5.5v. Put it on the charger for 15 minutes on "12v boost." Everything came back to life with 14.7v in the ready mode. :D This was Thursday. Friday and Saturday all went well with no issue or symptom for nearly 200 miles. :evil: Sunday it was dead again. Jumped it to get to church then off to Sears to get a Diehard battery. Group 35 was the direct replacement. So far all is well. :)

I went ahead and put in the Bosch Platinum AGM Group 24F battery from Pep Boys today. It was $190.99 -20% web discount code. After tax, paying and refunding the $15 core charge, the final cost was $167.47

I have not had any problem with my original Toyota battery yet, but I'm at 35 months and the resting voltage after turning off the car and waiting for all the whirs and clicks to finish was down to 12.5V.

I considered the Yellow Top, but this AGM Group 24F battery has more Amp-Hour capacity (60Ah) and it has a full 4 year warranty. The Yellow Top that people mentioned before here only has a 3 year warranty and 48Ah capacity. I should also mention that there is a Group 24 also, but the positive and negative terminals are reversed. I don't know if the positive battery cables will reach further to the front of the vehicle if the terminals are reversed and the battery is turned around so it is still positive on the passenger side. The Group 35 version of this battery (direct replacement size) is only $1 less and only 53Ah capacity.

Bosch_AGM_24_F_rc.jpg

Bosch_AGM_24_F_Installed_r.jpg

Is that Bosch battery above pretty much the same as this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-S6508B-Flat-Plate-Battery/dp/B010T866D2

Pep Boys sells the Bosch group 35 AGM for $190 and 48 month replacement warranty.
Otherwise they are all about the same.

smkettner said:
Pep Boys sells the Bosch group 35 AGM for $190 and 48 month replacement warranty.
Otherwise they are all about the same.
There is basically no price difference between the Bosch Group 35 and the Group 24F, so you might as well get the bigger one. It fits perfectly in the RAV's battery tray and has an extra 7Ah capacity (53Ah vs. 60Ah).

Back