Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Drive units from model s?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:57 pm 

I understand that the drive units in model s and our rav are the same(-ish). I'm interested to know if anyone here knows if they are interchangeable and to what extent - i.e. Could one swap the whole drive unit? Or, if not, what differs and can parts from it be swapped (inverter boards? Gearing, etc).

My thinking is about a future where warranties are expired and rav4ev specific parts may become hard to come by or so costly as to become unobtanium. If these Model S components are interchangeable this would seem ideal source of parts in such a future...

Post subject: Re: Drive units from model s?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:15 pm 

From a MNL post the RAV4 and Mercedes B have a parking pawl that the Tesla lacks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:25 pm 

Aries wrote:
I understand that the drive units in model s and our rav are the same(-ish). I'm interested to know if anyone here knows if they are interchangeable and to what extent - i.e. Could one swap the whole drive unit? Or, if not, what differs and can parts from it be swapped (inverter boards? Gearing, etc).

My thinking is about a future where warranties are expired and rav4ev specific parts may become hard to come by or so costly as to become unobtanium. If these Model S components are interchangeable this would seem ideal source of parts in such a future...

canbus messages are different between tesla and tesla sourced units (rav4ev, mercedes model b)
not 1:1 exchangeable at all

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:10 pm 

Is the canbus information generated by the motor assembly? I would think it is the gateway or other device. I imagine I could take a model S motor, swap it to a Rav4 casting with the parking pawl (and associated parts), and install it in the Rav and it would fit and perform. Only one way to find out.

If I didn't swap the casting and installed the model S motor directly without the parking pawl, leaving the pawl plug disconnected (is the pawl electric solenoid controlled?), can I find an override for the communication signal back to the gateway? I'm thinking yes. Are all the other model S motor connections interchangeable? - no idea.

Is any of this a good idea? That's a different question. I wonder what the difference between a model S parking brake system (no pawl) and the Rav 4 is? I know the Rav hand brake is pretty weak.

8/12/14 RAV4 EV #3008, Blizzard Pearl
9kW Solar Electric System
SDGE TOU metering
OpenEVSE 40 amp

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:00 pm 
Site Moderator

Even if it worked, Tesla won't sell you the part (or any parts for that matter) so the only source would be junk yards.

Take the Rav4 EV Owner Survey: http://goo.gl/8460go
View the Rav4 EV Owner Registry: http://goo.gl/QtrlKu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:36 am 

dstjohn99 wrote:
Is the canbus information generated by the motor assembly? I would think it is the gateway or other device. I imagine I could take a model S motor, swap it to a Rav4 casting with the parking pawl (and associated parts), and install it in the Rav and it would fit and perform. Only one way to find out.

If I didn't swap the casting and installed the model S motor directly without the parking pawl, leaving the pawl plug disconnected (is the pawl electric solenoid controlled?), can I find an override for the communication signal back to the gateway? I'm thinking yes. Are all the other model S motor connections interchangeable? - no idea.

Is any of this a good idea? That's a different question. I wonder what the difference between a model S parking brake system (no pawl) and the Rav 4 is? I know the Rav hand brake is pretty weak.

Indeed these are the exact sort of things I was wondering. And the "gateway" ecu similarly is what I would have thought.

as for parts.. The idea isn't to buy them from tesla.. It's to buy them from one of the zillion wrecked cars that are sure to exist.

Similarly I wonder about refurbing the battery back.. If "modules" could be recovered from Teslas and used to rebuild " expired" rav packs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:29 am 

Unlike the Model S Large Rear DU, where the motor & inverter are aft of the axles, on the RAV4 EV the motor & inverter are forward of the axles.

I wonder about the internal lubrication pump on these, as the RAV4's DU runs "backwards" to go forward, compared to the same unit in a Model S.

Model S drivetrains layouts:

RAV4 EV:

Image Image

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:07 pm 

They differ in the direction of cutting of the helical teeth on the gears.
http://alflash.com.ua/2019/to_rav4ev/te ... rav_tr.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:46 pm 

I was hoping somebody had a picture like that, Thanks!

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:59 pm 

asavage wrote:
I was hoping somebody had a picture like that, Thanks! ...
Ok,
May be it will be useful and this http://alflash.com.ua/2019/to_rav4ev/IMG_2020.jpg