20,000 mile service

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbhoge

2014 with just over 20,000 mi. 23 months into a 36 month lease. Is there anything I should specifically request? Anything that would be covered within 24 months that I'd be charged for after 24 months? Or, is coverage the same throughout the 36 month lease term? There is one issue, which RavCharge [once I buy app & learn how to use it] may address; Departure Timer does not work with my portable Level 2 EVSE. At 10K service Dealer could not duplicate this problem with their EVSE, and Departure Timer works with OEM Level 1 EVSE . . . I understand this is not uncommon. Should I ask Dealer [One Toyota, Oakland] about this? or not? I charge at home 98% of the time, and am on a PG&E EV rate plan [off peak 11 pm to 7 am], so the timer $ave$ when it works. Hiking down and back up the 28 steps is needed exercise, but some nights dragging my old ass out of bed to go downstairs to plug in can be a pain.

dbhoge said:
2014 with just over 20,000 mi. 23 months into a 36 month lease. Is there anything I should specifically request? Anything that would be covered within 24 months that I'd be charged for after 24 months? Or, is coverage the same throughout the 36 month lease term? There is one issue, which RavCharge [once I buy app & learn how to use it] may address; Departure Timer does not work with my portable Level 2 EVSE. At 10K service Dealer could not duplicate this problem with their EVSE, and Departure Timer works with OEM Level 1 EVSE . . . I understand this is not uncommon. Should I ask Dealer [One Toyota, Oakland] about this? or not? I charge at home 98% of the time, and am on a PG&E EV rate plan [off peak 11 pm to 7 am], so the timer $ave$ when it works. Hiking down and back up the 28 steps is needed exercise, but some nights dragging my old ass out of bed to go downstairs to plug in can be a pain.
The ToyotaCare scheduled maintenance is included for up to 4 visits within 2 years of service. It took me 22 months to cover 15,000 miles, so I only used 3.

If you can be more specific about what your EVSE is doing or not doing and which one it is, someone can probably help you narrow down the problem. Most of the time the RAV4 EV works in a predictably wonky way.

You do realize it is an END timer not a start timer right? I believe anything less than 30 amp 240 volt is considered L1 and starts immediately regardless of timer.

All you need at 20k is to rotate the tires and basic fluid level and safety check. s/b no cost. First real service is at 50k to change the coolants.

smkettner said:
You do realize it is an END timer not a start timer right? I believe anything less than 30 amp 240 volt is considered L1 and starts immediately regardless of timer.

afaik level 1 = 120 volt
level 2 = 240 volt
both independent of amps
and the timer works on either level

The timer issues have been hashed out long ago in other threads. Here's the short story.

The RAV only looks at the pilot signal, not the voltage because it doesn't ask the EVSE to give it power to sample. If it sees a pilot signal that indicates 20A or less, it will assume it's 120V and estimate a HUGE amount of time to charge. With higher pilot signals will do the calculation with a higher voltage, but running the math backwards seems to indicate that it's calculating based on 140V, which I assume is a typo for what should be 240V, but that's really how it works out.

In any case, you don't have to guess when the car will start charging, you can see what the car will really do if you plug in the car first, then turn on the car and look at the center screen. It will give you the actual start time based on your current departure schedule and EVSE. If necessary, do a one-time adjustment to the departure time to get the start time you want. This strategy works 100%, but it's a hassle. RavCharge automates it nicely, but you're at the mercy of the Entune service working properly and your car having good cell signal.

Thanks miimura for service/warranty info.
ENTUNE: More than a year ago when I attempted to activate Entune I could not create a Safety Connect ID because “customer service” had no record of my VIN. “customer service” asked me to contact dealer [OneToyota, Oakland] and ask them to upload vehicle information to Toyota.
OneToyota was unable to do so, and asked me make a Service Appt. and come in to resolve this issue. At the time I had no need for ENTUNE and did not persue it further. At 10K service tomorrow I'll demand resolution [I can hear you all laughing now].
DEPARTURE TIMER: For the first year DT worked flawlessly using a Mod. #UN2R3H EVSE at 240V/20A. Then it would 'charge immediately' when plugged in right away, but DT would 'set' if plugged in after vehicle cooled down. Over time it would always default to charge immediately. Today I reprogrammed DT, changing departure time by 5 minutes, and now DT seems to be working, i.e. did not start charging when plugged in.

So what's my question? What do I want? I want the %&#€° Departure Timer to function as it did when new. Any advice as to how to lean on Dealer to make this right?

ALSO: I concluded that since this DT disfunction only occurred with my Level2 240V/20A Mod. #UN2R3H EVSE and contacted the Vendor. He is a fellow enthusiast and RAV4EV owner, so I give him the benefit of the doubt when he says the vehicle is the problem, not the EVSE. Where will I stand if Dealer claims my EVSE is faulty? I've been down this road before with 2 or 3 parties pointing a finger at each other . . . it never ends well.

EVSE Upgrade for 2013-2014 Nissan LEAF (high-power)
Model: UN2R3H
Shipping Weight: 8lbs

$287.00
Note: This is the upgrade service for the unit supplied with 2013 and 2014 North American Nissan LEAF. It requires a minimum 30 amp 208-240 volt outlet for high-power charging!
If you only have 20A circuit available for charging, or have a different model, we have special options, Contact us for information.

The Nissan-branded unit has been improved. Like its older sibling, this unit is also manufactured by Panasonic kitchen appliances division, well-known for quality products. Quality and reliability have not suffered despite the slimmer design, it is the most rugged and reliable portable unit available, and once upgraded it becomes auto-adjusting and can operate on almost any outlet type in the world using simple adapters. It's still fully portable, or you can easily mount it on a wall with the included mounting holes. You also get an advanced Anti-Theft security system and easily programmable amperage settings, so you can "dial it down" if you are on a limited power outlet, or you really want a "trickle" charge, say for example; in airport long-term parking.

With this upgrade, Your 6kW 2013-2014 LEAF can safely and efficiently charge at up to over 4 times faster than it did on the original unit when used on any 208-240 volt 30 amp outlet! This means you will see amazingly faster 3 to 5 hour typical charge times. The unit still retains the ability to be used on a standard household outlet*, and it then charges at up to 12 amps. The advanced programming feature allows you to set the charging speed, if desired, to as low as 6 amps in 1 amp increments, and the unit remembers its amp settings for both level 1 and 2 separately.

*optional 120v Adapter is required for charging on standard wall outlets!

Specifications:
Outlet Type: NEMA L6-30R (30A 240V Twist-Lock)
(*optional adapter needed for standard 120v outlet)
Input Voltage: 100-250 volts AC 50/60 HZ
Power output: programmable from 6 to 12/16 amps on 100-167 volts*
programmable from 6 to 20 amps on 168-250 volts

dbhoge said:
Any advice as to how to lean on Dealer to make this right?
Dealer will suggest a 40 amp Leviton. And in your case I believe it would be a solution.
Possibly a 30 amp would work. My 30a Schneider at home works fine. 15a Leviton and 20a Clipper Creek (both 240v) at work both charge immediate.

Back