Highlander Hybrid a decent replacement for Rav EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwvanguard

We are seriously considering a used 2014 highlander hybrid. I loved the EV, but just a little too small for our family of 5.

We have 4 payments left on our lease, but the dealership (it's Lexus) said that they would take the RavEV in on a trade for $21,621 (lease payoff amount). Our residual value (lease ends Sept 10) is $19,400.

Anybody have experience with the Highlander (I believe 3rd Gen)?
Is trading in the EV early a good option, instead of waiting till lease-end?

Some details. The Highlander has over 40k miles, which is high for a 2014. It isn't certified because the Lexus dealership can't certify a Toyota. But Toyota financial can still finance the car. Carfax is clean.

I don't know much about the Highlander Hybrid, but I love my Tundra. :)

I am mostly replying to ask what are you're from, as I'm shopping for a Rav4EV and in the SF Bay Area. . .

scottsrav4 said:
I don't know much about the Highlander Hybrid, but I love my Tundra. :)

I am mostly replying to ask what are you're from, as I'm shopping for a Rav4EV and in the SF Bay Area. . .

Los Angeles area.

The Highlander Hybrid is overpriced for the small gain in efficiency in my opinion. Fuel economy of the Kia Sorento (21/29MPG) isn't that different to the Highlander Hybrid (27/28MPG), but the car is about half the price. You could likely get a well-optioned new Sorento for less than an used Highlander Hybrid.

Highlander is a 3-row 7 seat vehicle. I feel there is a hard line between 5 seat and 7 seat vehicles in terms of function. So, saying a Sorrento is equivalent for a lower price doesn't fly with me. If you do a lot of city driving running errands and shuttling kids around, the Highlander Hybrid is significantly more efficient than other 7 seat vehicles. The only thing more efficient will be the Pacifica Hybrid (PHEV), but that's a minivan not a CUV/SUV.

miimura said:
Highlander is a 3-row 7 seat vehicle. I feel there is a hard line between 5 seat and 7 seat vehicles in terms of function. So, saying a Sorrento is equivalent for a lower price doesn't fly with me. If you do a lot of city driving running errands and shuttling kids around, the Highlander Hybrid is significantly more efficient than other 7 seat vehicles. The only thing more efficient will be the Pacifica Hybrid (PHEV), but that's a minivan not a CUV/SUV.
The Sorento is a 3-row 7 seat vehicle.

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/sorento/2016/comfort

You're right about one thing though, the Pacifica Hybrid is the right choice for an efficient people-mover. There's simply no competition for it. It's unfortunate that Americans shun vans because for most SUV buyers a van is a much more practical vehicle and there has been a lot of innovation in vans globally. I rented a Nissan Serena S-Hybrid in Japan a couple years ago and was very impressed with it. It was a joy to drive, easy to park and maneuver, excellent on gas, very comfortable, and had an incredibly versatile interior.

I don't believe they've announced pricing for the Pacifica Hybrid yet, but it will qualify for the full $7,500 US federal rebate so it shouldn't be much more than the conventional ICE when all is said and done.

Sorry about my quickie research. Lower Sorrento models have only two rows of seating and the first one that came up on Edmunds showed 5 seats. My bad.

If you don't mind old cars there is also the Ford Escape Hybrid which I believe was 2012 year MPG: Up to 34 city / 31 highway. And also the 2013 GMC Yukon Hybrid / 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid both of these are huge in size MPG: 20 city / 23 highway

I've had a 2006 HH for more than 90,000 miles that I picked up used years back for $27,500. Frankly, it's the best car I've ever owned and, I've owned more than 25 in my life. It even beats the luxury marques I've owned - Cad & MB in so many ways. I could write a book about it.

It's a hauler and I have even towed small trailers with it. It consistently gets 23 MPG which while not great, is fantastic for a vehicle of this size. It's quiet and frankly pretty luxurious. It has a spacious back seat. The third row seat is O.K. for small children and there is no luggage capacity when that seat is up. But, there is always the roof rack, a small trailer or a hitch rack, all of which I also have.

I'd be buying another instead of perusing this forum if it wasn't for the price escalation. When I see the MSRP of the new HH Limiteds north of $50,000 it takes my breath away. That's just too rich for my blood.

We bought the HH after looking at many other options and paid what I estimated to be a $5 to $6,000 premium for the hybrid system. I wasn't planning to save it all back in gas costs, although I'm sure I did vs the non-hybrid, as much as I wanted insurance against escalating fuel prices after having faced almost $5/gal gasoline here in CA a few years back.

Rather than rave about it, I'll give you my negatives:

1) Leather and plastic interior isn't quite tough enough an scratch and stain resistant enough for the abuse that an SUV takes. Even though we were careful, there are a lot of scratches & stains.

2) The i-drive isn't really 4WD equivalent if you are needing that. In fact, in the early models like mine it will leave you stranded in a no traction situation.

3) The timing belt. Dealer cost of replacement (along with water pump of course) and 90,000 mile service was about $1,500 IIRC. Timing chains - like the 3.5l in the non-hybrid Lexus 350 RX usually last the lifetime of the vehicle. That can save $3,000 over a 200,000 mile life, enough to completely obliterate any hybrid fuel consumption savings. (Although I don't like the sloped rear hatch on the RX Lexus' because it cuts down on the capacity for tall items significantly.

4) The rear seats don't fold flat. In fact, a few years back when the newer and better HHs came out, if the seats had folded flat, I might have been enticed to buy one!

5) A few nits related to design/feature flaws like: The thing "drums" when you have the sunroof open and travel above 35 MPH; there is no memory seat adjustments which means my wife and I have to readjust whenever we change drivers; that stupid little watch stem like knob you have to use to adjust the dash lighting and, you will be adjusting it because it doesn't automatically adjust up or down with the headlight switch. (These things have likely changed on the newer models).

Did I mention it's the best car we've ever owned!

Finally, no matter how much I might like the Pacifica, I just can't trust a Chrysler product. There is a reason you never see top reliability ratings for Chrysler products.

Because of the cost of repairs, reliability is key. I've always done my own work until this Highlander. I have several "hobby cars". But a semi-major repair say, transmission replacement (or battery pack on an EV) can blow away any fun and reasonableness of even a car you love. When I hear of $6,000 transmission replacements, I know the world has changed and, not for the better.

I should have also added that the HH has considerably more room than the RAV4 or Escape hybrid, in the rear seat and the hatch area. Rear seat room is important if you plan to put full sized people back there! I hate tiny back seats with legroom fit for a 737! And, the appointments on the HH are well above any RAV4 or Escape I've ever encountered. Comparing the HH Limited to these is akin to comparing an S class MB to a C class. Different vehicles.

tharais said:
I've had a 2006 HH for more than 90,000 miles that I picked up used years back for $27,500. Frankly, it's the best car I've ever owned and, I've owned more than 25 in my life. It even beats the luxury marques I've owned - Cad & MB in so many ways. I could write a book about it.

Great feedback, thank you. We ended up getting the 2014 Highlander Hybrid. We like it a lot!
The dealer took our Rav EV in on trade and even gave us a little credit over the payoff amount.

The brakes on the Highlander are touchy with a very abrupt catch as you near the stop. I'm sure it's related to the Regen braking system, but it is more noticeable than it was on the Rav EV.

The model we got had a lot of add-on extras that we love. It feels very much like a luxury SUV. So far so good.

I ended up turning in my Rav4EV because of a Air Bag fault that could not be fixed by the dealer after 3 to 4 tries. I decided to turn it in. The only vehicle I considered that was available at the time was the Highlander hybrid. I ended up getting a 2015 in Nov of 2015 and have been driving it now for just short of one year. Best vehicle I have ever owned with respect to a hauler of people and things. We were moving and we wanted a vehicle that could traverse the distance back and forth between Santa Barbara and Corona del mar. About 150 miles. While the Rav4EV could make it if we drove slowly enough that was not what we wanted. I was concerned if my wife needed to do the drive that she not have to stop for charging. We did not have the fast charger added to the car. There were no plug ins that were available otherwise we would have gone that route. The Mitsubishi plug in is coming later this year. For now the Highlander is a really comfortable car. It is outfitted as a platinum edition so it has everything. I especially like the blind spot monitor. It really makes a difference in driving. While not cheap. My lease is costing me a bit more than the Rav4EV. I ended up putting about $4000 down and my lease with tax is $445 per month. I would do it again. I considered the Rav4 hybrid but it was not out yet. Also the Highlander is bigger and works perfectly for us. It get about 26 mpg. It is more about using less oil then the real savings per say.
Manny

Back