ALL POSTS-No Motor Power/Power Steering, turned off on road

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
Blastphemy said:
I have the most current firmware, just had 40,000-mile service + EV coolant service in September, and had the Speed Sensor Failure recall done. Guess none of that actually will prevent the Rav4 EV from suddenly dying while driving.

So you've all been warned! None of you are safe in this car; it's just a matter of time...

We've had several (like 3-4) RAV4 EVs that can't drive up a 7" ramp without triggering the CHECK EV light and popping into neutral. Folks, PLEASE get the new 103 firmware!

"blastphemy" mentioned he had the speed sensor fail recall done.
Isn't that the 103 firmware ?

Mine went into same condition now twice after the safety recall firmware update.

TonyWilliams said:
Folks, PLEASE get the new 103 firmware!
Was firmware v.103 released after September?

Toyota is dreaming if it thinks I or anyone in my family will ever buy one of their cars again. Can't wait for my Tesla Model X to arrive Q1 next year!

Blastphemy said:
TonyWilliams said:

Toyota is dreaming if it thinks I or anyone in my family will ever buy one of their cars again. Can't wait for my Tesla Model X to arrive Q1 next year!

My first & my last Toyota
Model X is the way to go!

Total loss of power on the freeway yesterday at 60 mph....turtle came on and to plug car in even thou had 75 miles on charge still. Did restart after 3 tries but check system stay on till 6 hours later. Car is at dealer now. What should I except or demand? car seems to be running fine today on way to dealer. Thanks Tommy

tomaros said:
Total loss of power on the freeway yesterday at 60 mph....turtle came on and to plug car in even thou had 75 miles on charge still. Did restart after 3 tries but check system stay on till 6 hours later. Car is at dealer now. What should I except or demand? car seems to be running fine today on way to dealer. Thanks Tommy
There's a few threads on this topic. Here's one:
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1564

Here's another:
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1558

tomaros said:

Read through the thread... there are really no surprises left with RAV4 EV. After 3 years, it makes the same mistakes OVER and OVER !!!

This one will likely be the speed sensor, which the dealer can replace now (in the past, they swapped the motor).

It could also be the gateway. Make sure you have the latest firmware 1.3.103.

Also, the 12 volt battery can cause some odd errors. Is yours in good shape? If it is the original battery, get a new one.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1738

Blastphemy said:
TonyWilliams said:

I would, the RAV EV is no reflection of Toyota. Incidentally Tesla and Toyota have a really sour relationship which prevents Toyota from getting proper and timely support on the RAV.

4EVEREV said:
I would, the RAV EV is no reflection of Toyota. Incidentally Tesla and Toyota have a really sour relationship which prevents Toyota from getting proper and timely support on the RAV.

If that is the case, why don't they open up to the customers with problems ?
the mushroom culture I experience made me never want a Toyota again.

4EVEREV said:

It seems like this could be easily fixed by Toyota contracting with Tesla for more / better support. Maybe purchase more spare motors, chargers, DC/DC converters, ECUs, etc. and contract for more Tesla technician labor hours. Why would Tesla refuse that - doing so would make them money and also improve their reputation for servicing their failed parts. Maybe Toyota doesn't want to pay the price....

TonyWilliams said:
tomaros said:

Read through the thread... there are really no surprises left with RAV4 EV. After 3 years, it makes the same mistakes OVER and OVER !!!

This one will likely be the speed sensor, which the dealer can replace now (in the past, they swapped the motor).

It could also be the gateway. Make sure you have the latest firmware 1.3.103.

Also, the 12 volt battery can cause some odd errors. Is yours in good shape? If it is the original battery, get a new one.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1738
Well wouldnt start this morning and the car didnt charge and was plugged in with timer on, was 3/4 charged from the day before. Towed in today , it may be the speed sensor as you said last time, and yes still has orginal battery . Thanks Tommy

My RAV 4 EV stopped abruptly on the main street 55 mph. Really scary and frightening. I dropped it with the dealer. This is two after I had the car in the dealdership for 5 months for power train replacement. Really frustrated!!!! Please let me know what to do

rcrisp123 said:
My RAV 4 EV stopped abruptly on the main street 55 mph. Really scary and frightening. I dropped it with the dealer. This is two after I had the car in the dealdership for 5 months for power train replacement. Really frustrated!!!! Please let me know what to do

Lemon Law this car now.

If you still want a RAV4 EV, buy a used one or take over an existing lease.

My RAV 4 EV stopped on the main thouroughfare. Had to drop it off to a dealer. The car stopped and shifted to neutral and won't shift to drive. Was really scary. Amy suggestions as to what needs to be done?

rcrisp123 said:
My RAV 4 EV stopped on the main thouroughfare. Had to drop it off to a dealer. The car stopped and shifted to neutral and won't shift to drive. Was really scary. Amy suggestions as to what needs to be done?

Does this car have the newest 1.3.101 firmware (the government recall version)?

If it does, then the problem is likely the speed sensor.

All; I hate to be an alarmist, but Careful with your rav4ev.

I was doing 75 mph in car pool lane going eats on 210 freeway and the car made one muted clunk and then i lost all power. I drifted to the right, barely missing two semis that almost crushed me and my friend. the "Check EV" typical message was on and the turtle was flashing. I tuned the car off and on several times, before the turtle went away and the car regained "gearing". I drove very slow to the Alhambra dealership.
When they tested it, they initially told me "old code", that they reset it and all is well.
I REFUSED TO PICK UP THE CAR. I explained to them what had happened again. only then, they were "alarmed" and said they would look "deeper. One day later, they asked me again to pick up the car.
I still refuse to pick up the car and risk my family's life.
i am looking into lemon laws (third time car either fails to charge and/or spit the same error code)

Oh...and I ALREADY had the 3rd recall done (http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1097217_toyota-rav4-ev-electric-car-recalled-for-shift-flaw-in-tesla-software).
The recall DOES NOT FIX the issue.

The problem with the recall update is that it didn't replace the flawed speed sensor... they wrote software to ignore it with a larger margin.

I suspect your problem is the speed sensor. I would demand that the change it first (even if you do continue with a lawsuit or other remedy).

I wouldn't expect a Lemon Law to be successful if you are outside the parameters.

CALIFORNIA’S LEMON LAW http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf

The “Lemon Law”: A special provision, often called the "Lemon Law," helps determine what is a reasonable number of repair attempts for problems that substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle.

The "Lemon Law" applies to these problems if they arise during the first 18 months after the consumer received delivery of the vehicle or within the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either:

(1) the same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or

(2) the same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or

(3) the vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

The "Lemon Law" presumption is a guide, not an absolute rule.

While driving to work, got about 5 miles from home on the freeway when the car just lost power and I got the error message.

Tried restarting 6-7 times but no help. Currently awaiting tow truck.

I purchased from Carmax with their extended warranty and I'm still within their 30 day window where they'll fix anything free of charge.

Couldn't find the thread this belongs in because every time I try to search, it tells me that the search terms are too common so it ignored them.

Last four digits of VIN are 1799

Back