ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the main problem is that they don't have enough spares in circulation to rebuild. Just think about it, transit time from Fremont to the dealer, get the customer car in, do the swap, pack it up and send it back to Fremont. I think that's about 10 days minimum. So each unit can only do only 2 or 3 turns per month. I'm betting they only have 2 or 3 in circulation, so that's only 8-10 swaps per month. I think that is what is causing the huge backlog. I'm sure there is no way Toyota is going to pay more money for new units to add into circulation just to make things go faster. They will just prioritize cars that are sitting dead over ones that are merely noisy.

miimura said:
I think the main problem is that they don't have enough spares in circulation to rebuild. Just think about it, transit time from Fremont to the dealer, get the customer car in, do the swap, pack it up and send it back to Fremont. I think that's about 10 days minimum. So each unit can only do only 2 or 3 turns per month. I'm betting they only have 2 or 3 in circulation, so that's only 8-10 swaps per month. I think that is what is causing the huge backlog. I'm sure there is no way Toyota is going to pay more money for new units to add into circulation just to make things go faster. They will just prioritize cars that are sitting dead over ones that are merely noisy.

Why is it taking Tesla 3+ months to replace a model S DU?

pchilds said:
Why is it taking Tesla 3+ months to replace a model S DU?

Here is a somewhat speculative reply based on what we have discussed here:

1. They fail often. They sold a lot more Model Ss in 2012-2014 than all RAV4EVs made, and those early Teslas are probably getting enough miles on them to have frequent motor (bearing?) failures.

2. They don't have a lot of spares in circulation, per mimura's comment above.

If they really did fix the problem in later models, then they could eventually have a lot of spares by rebuilding the earlier ones that failed.

They should get some more to have more in circulation. Seems like really poor optics for an EV company to have motor issues on something as reliable as an induction motor. Quite pathetic if you ask me.

smkettner said:
4EVEREV said:
That means they have massive issues or just one person doing these. I hope they hire a proper engineer to fix these issues for good.
I think Tesla is really trying to figure out this noise issue not just shim the gears and send it down the road.
This is a big issue for Tesla that they had better get right before they start putting these gear boxes in 100,000+ Model 3 cars each year.
I assume the redesign will be partially based on what Tesla learns from these rebuilds.
OK maybe I am just naive... Tesla has one guy on it and could not care less.
Not to go too OT, but there are folks over at "TMC" who will make the bold assertion that Model S DU problems aren't due to "any fundamental design issue" and that one doesn't exist :roll: , like at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/63715-Review-calls-Tesla-s-Motor-subpar?p=1397044&viewfull=1#post1397044.

I had a discussion with him at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/63715-Review-calls-Tesla-s-Motor-subpar/page5.

cwerdna said:
smkettner said:
4EVEREV said:
That means they have massive issues or just one person doing these. I hope they hire a proper engineer to fix these issues for good.
I think Tesla is really trying to figure out this noise issue not just shim the gears and send it down the road.
This is a big issue for Tesla that they had better get right before they start putting these gear boxes in 100,000+ Model 3 cars each year.
I assume the redesign will be partially based on what Tesla learns from these rebuilds.
OK maybe I am just naive... Tesla has one guy on it and could not care less.
Not to go too OT, but there are folks over at "TMC" who will make the bold assertion that Model S DU problems aren't due to "any fundamental design issue" and that one doesn't exist :roll: , like at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/63715-Review-calls-Tesla-s-Motor-subpar?p=1397044&viewfull=1#post1397044.

I had a discussion with him at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/63715-Review-calls-Tesla-s-Motor-subpar/page5.
Careful they might hear you.

I've been waiting since mid-November. My Model S got a replacement in just a few weeks (and that was due to my schedule limitations) within that same period of time.

I've been waiting since Nov 3rd, I checked with dealer (Palo Alto) again this week , and stillllllll no news of when they'll get the new DU.

Luckyduckie said:
I've been waiting since Nov 3rd, I checked with dealer (Palo Alto) again this week , and stillllllll no news of when they'll get the new DU.

Any news yet? I'm also waiting for Toyota of Palo Alto. If you haven't gotten it yet, I won't even bother inquiring for mine.

Starting to hear it in mine but it's not that annoying. I grew up in the back seat of a Ford Aerostar. The rear differential was ridiculously loud - to the point of making your ears ring on long freeway journeys. The DU whine on my Rav4 is barely noticeable at 50ish mph.

My Car started with a "humming sound" especially when i steered to the right sight. So i showed the problem to my mechanic - he changed the right wheel bearing - an know the car is silent again!
The Rav has just 21000km - about 13t miles. does anyone else had a problem with the front wheel bearing?

when my replacement was done, i got a *much older* motor (lower serial #) in replacement (which has been fine since then, almost 30K miles now). and there wasnt a big wait back then either. (i think it was a week).

This might mean the failure rate is much higher now than it was then.

36,000 miles on the original motor and it's toast.

The humming is so bad the last few thousand miles, I think I'm going deaf. 60 to 70 mph is freakishly loud. 25 mph range, yuck as well. I'm finally going to the dealer to have them check it this weekend. The motor sounds 100% out of balance. Not a pleasant sound; it's unnervingly terrible.

The other issue I'm having is when I push the accelerator pedal, there is a loud thunk/clunk and a small jolt plus a half second delay before the motor engages. I developed some serious slop in the drivetrain that wasn't there when new.

The honeymoon was nice while it lasted. Other than this motor issue and the lack of a factory installed quickcharger, this car has been outstanding.

So, I've had my new motor for the last month and Tony was right, I'm a happy camper again and enjoying my smooth Rav4EV ride. I can barely hear the motor if I strain to listen for it. It's so nice not to have a screamingly loud motor. My other issue with the slop and clunk when I pushed the accelerator is now fixed as well. I'm happy. I hope this lasts a while.

We have a 2014 Rav 4 EV with 25K miles. It seems to have developed a whine that I don't think was there when it was new. Does anyone know if this is a concern? Our lease is up in February and we love the car so much we are thinking of purchasing it but not if there are going to be future problems. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Back