Cheapest RAV4 EV Toyota Extended Warranty

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
co2112 said:
So can I get an extended warranty for a used Rav4 if it is over 36k miles and not coming off lease? I bought a used 2013 with 65K miles and my current Toyota dealership only offered 3-year/36k mile platinum warranty. I'd rather have a longer term and mileage based on my commute which is about 2,000 miles per month.
If you're still covered by the 3/36k factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, you can buy the "New Car" extended warranty which goes up to 10yr/125k, which is counted from initial service. You will have to buy the "Used Car" warranty which is counted from time of used purchase. I think there is a cap on the total miles of coverage, so if you're starting from 65k, they probably can't sell you an additional 50k. I'm just guessing, but if you found a car with fewer miles on it, say 45k, you might be able to buy the warranty for an additional 50k.

I am in the process of getting an extended warranty on our 2013 RAV-EV, and appreciate all the info you folks have posted. It has been very helpful!!

One question: I looked at the Toyota brochure on the warranty and (1) it is directed only to ICE and hybrid vehicles, and (2) states that it covers "MECHANICAL breakdown of the parts listed".

I am assuming for the moment that the EV parts equates to the EV-related hybrid parts that are listed, but a MECHANICAL breakdown of a control computer or ECU, for example, is meaningless since failures will be electrical (or software-driven) in reality.

How have you dealt with this, and with what results, when purchasing the warranty?

Also, have any of you put ina claim under the extended warranty? if so for what, and was the claim accepted without hassle?

Thanks.

These are some relevant portions of the actual Vehicle Service Agreement.
...It provides for the repair of mechanical failures of covered components specified in this Agreement. As used herein, "mechanical failure" means the failure of a component under recommended manufacturer operating and maintenance conditions to perform the function for which it was designed as a result of material defects or workmanship; a "covered component" means a vehicle's part or system described at the end of this booklet.
The last page of the booklet has this language.
PLATINUM VEHICLE SERVICE AGREEMENTS - COVERED COMPONENTS

ALL MANUFACTURER-ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT PARTS INSTALLED BY THE MANUFACTURER OR YOUR SELLING DEALER ARE COVERED UNDER THIS AGREEMENT FOR MECHANICAL FAILURE, UNLESS OTHERWISE EXCLUDED. THE ITEMS LISTED BELOW ARE NOT COVERED BY PLATINUM AGREEMENTS.
It goes on to list a whole lot of things like Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet... etc. There are also a whole lot of specific Hybrid and Fuel Cell components. However, there are no EV specific components listed. This is actually in our favor because everything is covered "Unless Otherwise Excluded".

There are also two full pages of exclusions that include things like failure to properly maintain the vehicle, or if the vehicle has been used for plowing snow, racing, used for hire to public, or to transport people for hire. This appears to give TFS grounds to deny a claim if you have used the car for Uber/Lyft like services. Of course, the burden of proof is on them.

Thanks for the response, Miimura.

The word "mechanical" is still in there and, in the event of a dispute, could become a serious issue IMHO unless Toyota has a record of interpreting the phrase in our favor. The "Everything is covered" language you quoted is for mechanical failure, and the exclusions could therefore be argued as applying only to mechanical failures.

Also, the definition of "mechanical failure" is that the part failed to perform as "a result of material defects or workmanship" I am not certain what the life expectancy of an ECU is, for example, and how you can tell if there was such a defect. How do you prove this if push comes to shove? Mechanical failures seem to me to be much easier to recognize, and I see another issue here.

OTOH, insuring against mechanical failure of ECU's and other electronic hardware seems illusory as a contractual obligation so the interpretation ignoring that limitation may be the correct one.

Perhaps I am being too cynical, but it comes with years of dealing with auto dealers and insurance companies, and that's why I had asked about actual claim experience. My concerns may be detached from reality, but I have no way to tell for certain.

I did a bit more research. It appears that the ECU (and other drivetrain electronics) are explicitly covered for 5 years/60K miles under the original "new car" warranty. (see http://www.myrav4ev.com/docs/RAV4EV_Warranty_and_Maintenance.pdf ) so my concerns about the extended warranty may (?) be justified.

Bob said:
The word "mechanical" is still in there and, in the event of a dispute, could become a serious issue IMHO unless Toyota has a record of interpreting the phrase in our favor. The "Everything is covered" language you quoted is for mechanical failure, and the exclusions could therefore be argued as applying only to mechanical failures.

Also, the definition of "mechanical failure" is that the part failed to perform as "a result of material defects or workmanship" I am not certain what the life expectancy of an ECU is, for example, and how you can tell if there was such a defect. How do you prove this if push comes to shove? Mechanical failures seem to me to be much easier to recognize, and I see another issue here.
Hi Bob, you messaged me privately to ask my opinion... I think you're interpreting "mechanical" differently. As per Toyota's own definition, they're saying that "mechanical failure" means a component fails to perform the function for which it was designed (as long as it wasn't abused/used inappropriately) – no conditions about metal fatigue vs. electrical vs. software-induced, etc. You seem to be concerned that "mechanical failure" might mean "non-electrical failure". If Toyota's own definition doesn't alleviate your concerns, consider all of the electrical components, including computer equipment, in a non-EV Toyota. Don't you believe that Toyota (and every other auto manufacturer) regularly includes failures of those kinds of equipment under warranty? I do. Certainly you would have heard about it if Toyota or others refused to repair such equipment.

Regarding the phrase "material defect" – we're not talking physical materials here:
https://definitions.uslegal.com/m/material-defect/"
According to 15 USCS § 6602 (4), [Title 15. Commerce and Trade; Chapter 92. Year 2000 Computer Date Change] the term material defect means “a defect in any item, whether tangible or intangible, or in the provision of a service, that substantially prevents the item or service from operating or functioning as designed or according to its specifications. The term "material defect" does not include a defect that--

(A) has an insignificant or de minimis effect on the operation or functioning of an item or computer program;
(B) affects only a component of an item or program that, as a whole, substantially operates or functions as designed; or
(C) has an insignificant or de minimis effect on the efficacy of the service provided.”
So, I think everything's fine. "Mechanical failure" here does not imply "non-electrical failure", "material defect" does not imply "physical defect". Go for the extended warranty.

Good points, Incred. I'm feeling alot better about it now. Thanks for the prompt response.
Bob

Bob said:
Good points, Incred. I'm feeling alot better about it now. Thanks for the prompt response.
Bob

The various Toyota warranties has been offered without "malice". They really want to get your car fixed, overall, without a huge hassle.

That's completely different than an aftermarket warranty sold by a dealer, which really isn't going to do much beyond make a profit for the dealer and the company offering the warranty.

I do not recommend non-Toyota warranties.

Thanks, Tony.

I got a copy of the warranty Agreement from the dealer and see what you and Incred are talking about. I'm good to go. Thanks to both of you for the guidance.

Bob

Bob said:
Thanks, Tony.

I got a copy of the warranty Agreement from the dealer and see what you and Incred are talking about. I'm good to go. Thanks to both of you for the guidance.

Bob
Good for you. I was never able to see a copy of the actual agreement until I received my purchased copy in the mail. I was only given the brochure, which is somewhat lacking in specifics.

It wasn't easy. Multiple unreturned phone calls over a two day period followed by a complaint to the woman answering the phone and a kick "upstairs" to an alleged supervisor. Jeesh...made me think about whether I really wanted to do the buyout.

dstjohn99 said:
So how long does it take to get the actual warranty in the mail? I purchased a platinum warranty many weeks ago and nothing yet.
I don't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's in the 2-4 week range. If a month has passed, I would call Toyota Financial to check on it.

Hey Guys,

Forgot to mention: When I got my got my 8 yr / 125K Toyota Extra Care, Platinum coverage with $0 deductible for $1505.00 from Greenfield Toyota My contract already arrived about 2 months ago and I am fully covered. I believe it only cost me $10 bucks a month to get the unit. I live in L.A. and the mail is just forwarded from Brooklyn to where ever you live. Last checked the prices were:

Toyota Extra Care, Platinum coverage with $0 deductible:
4 yr / 100K - $675.00
5 yr / 125K - $915.00
6 yr / 75K - $645.00
6 yr / 100K - $895.00
6 yr / 125K - $1140.00
7 yr / 75K - $715.00
7 yr / 100K - $1025.00
7 yr / 125K - $1250.00
8 yr / 75K - $835.00
8 yr / 100K - $1145.00
8 yr / 125K - $1505.00

so anyone anywhere can get an ext warranty at that price. Hope it helps since that is how I got mine and I'm now fully covered.

When I got my extended one from MA I had to have an in-state address. Brooklyn NY wouldn't have worked, so I used an in-state address there. Tony helped find an EV owner there who then forwarded my stuff. Took nearly a month for Toyota to send it out and then another week before I had it in hand.

The city options I was given were:

Friends or relatives in the Northeast (Massachusetts/New England/New York)?

So I got a unit @ Brooklyn and now I have the Extended Warranty: 8 yr / 125K - $1505.00

+ I forgot to mention there are 2 new longer term extended warranty options:

9 yr / 125K plan is $1665.00, and the 10 yr / 125K plan would be $1795.00.

UPDATED:
Toyota Extra Care, Platinum coverage with $0 deductible:
4 yr / 100K - $675.00
5 yr / 125K - $915.00
6 yr / 75K - $645.00
6 yr / 100K - $895.00
6 yr / 125K - $1140.00
7 yr / 75K - $715.00
7 yr / 100K - $1025.00
7 yr / 125K - $1250.00
8 yr / 75K - $835.00
8 yr / 100K - $1145.00
8 yr / 125K - $1505.00
9 yr / 125K - $1665.00
10 yr / 125K - $1795.00.

So, I got lost here - does the Platinum warranty start from the date of purchase of the warranty or from the original date of purchase of the vehicle? I assume the price is the same for any vehicle mileage under 36k.

A local dealer recently said:
It was nice to meet you in person I again do apologize that I couldn’t get back to you yesterday . After checking for the discounts and incentives I can get you for the service agreement on your 2013 Toyota Rav 4 EV with approx 18,000 miles the prices are as follow : I can get you a 8 year 75000 mile platinum service agreement from the day the vehicle was first purchased with a $100 disappearing deductible which means that when you do bring your vehicle into our service dept you will not have to pay the $100 deductible for $ 1445 or a 8 year 100,000 mile platinum service agreement for $1795 .

If he is correct, then the price would likely vary according to the vehicle's 'age' and mileage at the time of the purchase of the warranty, thus sharing one's shopping details less useful.

I'm seriously considering the platinum warranty in the coming week, and would appreciate hearing from experienced buyers,
Ferenc
PS My EV is 34 months old and has 30K miles on it - of which I've put on 12k in the past 18 months.

The "New Car" Platinum Warranty from Toyota is from the in-service date (first sale or lease) and total odometer mileage. You are allowed to buy this "New Car" warranty as long as it is still covered by the 3yr 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper factory warranty. I have no idea what he's talking about with the "disappearing deductible". The Toyota Platinum Service Agreement has $0 deductible.

The price is the same for any qualifying vehicle because the coverage is for the total time and mileage and the current time and mileage are not considered as long as it is still under the full factory warranty.

I paid $1,245 for 8/100 in February 2015 from Gilroy Toyota. The going price from California dealers seems to be about what you listed. At the current price differential of $300, I would probably use my sister's address in the Boston area to buy it from Greenfield. When I purchased my warranty, the differential was less than $150 and the transaction was an easy one over the phone. I've heard that Gilroy has recently been slapping on a bogus $100 paperwork fee that cannot be refunded because it went in their pocket separately from the purchase with Toyota Financial. That's pretty slimy.

Thanks for the useful reply. I wonder why the Berkeley Toyota guy said the price of the warranty would go up the closer I got to the 3yr/36k mile cutoff? I doubt that the Platinum extended warranty covers more than the new factory warranty.

Thanks for the lead - I'll give the Gilroy Gahlic chaps a call for current pricing, and the contact the two local dealers (Walnut Creek and Berkeley) for comparison.

On a side note, I've not been happy with the local service - try SF, or ...?

Ferenc

" I wonder why the Berkeley Toyota guy said the price of the warranty would go up the closer I got to the 3yr/36k mile cutoff? I doubt that the Platinum extended warranty covers more than the new factory warranty."

That's called a SALES PLOY. The price doesn't change other than from that dealer! Shop around. Give Jason a call in the finance dept at Toyota of Kirkland, WA, too. Google that dealer. 8 year / 125k mile / $0 deductible was going for about $1575 last year. NO in-state requirement to buy. NO inspection if under the 3yr/36k from 1st sale/lease date.

The Platinum warranty actually DOES cover more. It includes lodging and meals if your car breaks down away from home and you're stuck somewhere, for example.

I wouldn't consider buying one of these cars without an extended warranty!

Back