ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're still under full factory warranty. Take it in to the dealer and have them verify the noise. Ask for a new drive unit (motor). It will probably only get worse. Even here in Seattle, it only took about a week to get the new motor to the dealership and a few days before I could go in and have the work done. Mine also made some "CLUNKING" noises especially when in stop-and-go freeway congestion and when first putting it in Drive or Reverse.

plgnsuv said:
We have a 2014 Rav 4 EV with 25K miles. It seems to have developed a whine that I don't think was there when it was new. Does anyone know if this is a concern? Our lease is up in February and we love the car so much we are thinking of purchasing it but not if there are going to be future problems. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
If you are considering purchasing it, buy the Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty before the vehicle reaches 3 years or 36k miles. There is a thread here talking all about it.

Yep, whine/whirring noise during acceleration usually means drive unit replacement. Extended warranty is a must if you're keeping it a few more years.

So, I took it to the dealer and after keeping it a couple of days they determined that the noise was not normal. They then kept the car and spent nearly two weeks trying to get a response from Toyota in terms of what to do. Finally, they called me with the 'good news' that they would replace the 'drive line' but it would take 4-5 weeks to get one. I picked up the car today. My lease is up on Feb. 15 and I don't think they will have it in by then so I believe will just turn it in and lease a Bolt. Too bad they are not very good at supporting these vehicles and what kind of a deal is this where the drive system goes out after 25,000 miles?

I wouldn't say "the drive system goes out" after 25k miles. It's just one component inside the drive unit assembly that starts making a whine noise during acceleration. And it doesn't happen to every car. The clunk noise I think is the bigger, albeit less frequent, issue that also requires replacement of the drive unit. Hopefully the issue has been corrected in the newer drive units.

It seems that if the drive unit is whining, it usually goes out. Mine went the clunk route, but the good news is that after mine was replaced, it is now whisper quiet.

plgnsuv said:
So, I took it to the dealer and after keeping it a couple of days they determined that the noise was not normal. They then kept the car and spent nearly two weeks trying to get a response from Toyota in terms of what to do. Finally, they called me with the 'good news' that they would replace the 'drive line' but it would take 4-5 weeks to get one. I picked up the car today. My lease is up on Feb. 15 and I don't think they will have it in by then so I believe will just turn it in and lease a Bolt. Too bad they are not very good at supporting these vehicles and what kind of a deal is this where the drive system goes out after 25,000 miles?

I read some comments that the drive units rebuilt since last summer are improved and should hold up longer.

Maybe we can get more feedback here from some that have been recently replaced. I am waiting another 10,000 to take mine in.

SeattleRav4 said:
It seems that if the drive unit is whining, it usually goes out. Mine went the clunk route, but the good news is that after mine was replaced, it is now whisper quiet.
When was it replaced? How many miles so far?

smkettner said:
SeattleRav4 said:
When was it replaced? How many miles so far?

There a thread devoted to the clunk noises:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1881

Just a follow-up. My "drive unit" was replaced last year. It displayed all the symptoms, first whine, then clunk, then real failure clunk.
The good news is that since, it has been whisper quiet. I happened to drive on a really smooth stretch of pavement the other day with new tires and commented on just how quiet the car is. Almost Silent.

And we are now hearing of very few failures. Hopefully the infant mortality period is over.

My drive unit was replaced this past week. Soooo much better.

Very smooth and silent accelerating modestly from a stop. Could not be happier.
However coasting gives a small faint whine. Drove about 100 miles today and I think even by the end of the day it was already slightly more than when I picked it up.
Also a very slight noise while cruising along at steady speed. This is distinctly not tire noise as best I can tell.

Is this how they really are? Will it wear in a bit and go away? I drove it real nice today... is that even necessary?

Of course comparing to my past LEAF experience where there was never a noise from the gearbox, just a shoddy battery.

Any comments?

Hi All!

Just bought my first RAV4 ev, after returning our Leaf upon lease end. Luckily, it's still under factory warranty because the dealership just told me that it needs a transaxle replacement (already authorized by Toyota). I did a search to find out how the transaxle is different from or relates to the motor, drive unit, etc. but to no avail. Since the symptom was a humming noise similar to those described and posted here, I hope y'all can enlighten me.

Also, is there any other work I should ask the dealer to do while they have the car waiting for the part (app 2 weeks)?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks a lot, Tony! Those were the items that I asked the dealer to take care of so I'm happy that I didn't miss anything (yet).

Just to make sure I understand: Is the transaxle the equivalent of the gearbox? In other words, this is different from the drive unit / motor, correct?

Many thanks for your patience with an ignorant newbie...

Phil said:
Hi All!

Just bought my first RAV4 ev, after returning our Leaf upon lease end. Luckily, it's still under factory warranty because the dealership just told me that it needs a transaxle replacement (already authorized by Toyota). I did a search to find out how the transaxle is different from or relates to the motor, drive unit, etc. but to no avail. Since the symptom was a humming noise similar to those described and posted here, I hope y'all can enlighten me.

Also, is there any other work I should ask the dealer to do while they have the car waiting for the part (app 2 weeks)?

Thanks in advance!
TonyWilliams said:
The dealer should automatically check for all three recalls. But, it can't hurt to ask:

1) Wiper motor

2) Seat belts

3) Software 1.3.101

Toyota has a nice web interface for their recall database.

https://www.toyota.com/recall

Just put in your VIN and it will tell you if there are any unresolved recalls with your vehicle.

Just to make sure I understand: Is the transaxle the equivalent of the gearbox? In other words, this is different from the drive unit / motor, correct?

Yes, gearbox/transaxle/differential all refer to the same component of the drive unit in a Rav4 EV. The drive unit in a Rav4 Ev consists of the electric motor, inverter and the differential between the former two. Toyota replaces the entire drive unit when a component of the drive unit is bad.

Hi, all. We have been happy owners of our 2013 Rav4 EV since new, not counting a few minor hiccups, but I think that's to be expected with a mix of Toyota and Tesla parts. I purchased the vehicle and the platinum warranty after the lease was up. This evening while my wife was on the way home she called me and said the car sounded a lot louder during acceleration. I was wondering if anyone had any more recent experience with this "whine" or "hum" problem and the solution, maybe even here in San Diego where we live. We have been taking it to Mossy Toyota by PB/Mission Bay, but would take it to Carlsbad or other Toyota dealerships in the area that are certified to work on the EV. Our experience with Mossy is they are often very busy, so scheduling is sometimes an issue. Thanks!

Back