Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: All Posts about the Distance To Empty "GOM" Range Meter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:23 am 

The Tesla chargers operate at "145kW", which translates to about 120kW maximum in a car.

The same is true of a "50kW" charger that operates at a maximum of about 45kW in the RAV4.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:53 am 

My GOM has lost its mind as well. A month ago a "full" charge showed 102 miles, but the past two weeks it has topped out at 67 miles :| Right this minute my battery indicator is at 3/4 full, but range states 45 miles remaining.

I guess it's been cold here, if you're a big baby. Oakland, upper 40s - mid 50s. GOM seems a bit dramatic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:38 pm 

Welcome to the club. My RAV4 now shows 67 miles after a full extended charge. But, it has been cold here 5F-25F daily.

Even in warmer weather it has not been great. Only about 23K miles (3.5 years) but lots of relatively short trips.

Still works for me but that is a pretty low number.

(ex-2011 Volt #2365 - returned Nov. 2013)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:48 am 

eplantz wrote:
Still works for me but that is a pretty low number.

Maybe cover up the number? You'll never know the difference.

Post subject: Why do I keep losing "Driving Range"?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:45 am 

When I purchased my 2012 Rav EV, a full charge was 119 miles. It seemed to almost immediately NOT refill to that even after a full charge. It would consistently drop. The 1st charge after was 112, then 107, then 95, etc.

When I would bring it in for service, somehow, it was back to top level. But the pattern would repeat.

Now, it's getting even worse. I just did a "full charge" and the range says 70 miles. It's consistently in the 70-80 range.

Is my battery just losing range? Is driving range accurate? Is there anyway to fix this?

Post subject: Re: Range Chart
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:25 am 

You are talking about the GOM - the guess-o-meter - it only tells you via the number of bars how much charge you have. The range is an estimate based on your driving habits, so if you leadfoot it around town for a few weeks, you may see it drop down into the 60s. Go out freeway driving and staying light on the pedal for the next few, it may go up to 110. Regardless, the amount of juice in your battery at any point is the same, reflected by the numbers of bars you have lit. The reason it jumps after a trip to the dealer is they will disconnect the battery, and all driving history or memory is lost, and so it jumps up to what the system considers the max - and yes, its all downhill from there -

Post subject: Re: Why do I keep losing "Driving Range"?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:48 am 

The_war_Is_On_2017 wrote:
Is my battery just losing range? Is driving range accurate?

Your battery stores charge, not driving range. Every time you drive and then turn off your car, the dash display shows how far you drove and how many miles/kW hr you maintained. The 2 together give you kW hr, the amount of energy you used. Add up the total kW hr you use during a full charge, over multiple drives if needed, until the battery is depleted. Is should be around 40 for an extended charge.

As was said in the other thread where you posted, the GOM gives an estimated range based on your driving style. Resetting it (via disconnecting & reconnecting your 12V battery) forces it to go back to the ROM default of 3.5 mi/ kW hr. Many people find that they drive at a lower efficiency than that, hence the lower GOM readings.

3.2 kW Solar PV system

Post subject: Re: Why do I keep losing "Driving Range"?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:34 am 

I have noticed when charging daily on a regular basis the range will get lower for 7 to 10 days and then pop back up again.

Cold weather does reduce capacity of any battery so winter is lower. Use of the heater averages in and further reduces range. And probably a small amount of capacity loss would be expected.
So take it for an 80 mile cruise and see how it actually performs. Set the cruise at 60 and turn off the heat.

Otherwise your indicated range will pretty much come back when it warms up and you stop using the heat. OK to drive a bit slower too.

Post subject: Re: Range Chart
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:52 am 

The_war_Is_On_2017 wrote:
Is my battery just losing range? Is driving range accurate? Is there anyway to fix this?

You can "fix it" every day, if you like:

1) MAKE SURE THE CAR IS OFF !!! Do not plug the car in.

2) Disconnect all 3 of the 12 volt battery negative cables, and leave it that way overnight. This will require a 12mm socket or wrench to remove the M8 hex nut. The cabin climate control will automatically go to OFF with battery disconnect.

***** Next day: ******

3) Reconnect 12 volt battery

4) Hold foot on brake and press START button with key fob nearby just once

5) Energy "fuel" gauge will show Full (16 illuminated segments) and "LO" on the GOM

6) Wait for navigation unit to complete its start up (about 20 seconds)

7) Press START with brake pedal depressed a second time. You will hear a clunk of the main battery contactors under the front passenger seat and the dash should indicate "READY".

Your Guess-O-Meter is reset.

Post subject: 30k mile service mileage bump
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:26 pm 

I am a new owner of a 2014 Rav 4 EV that just came off of lease from So. Coast Toyota. Still have the 120vac charge cord waiting for the new Leviton's to come off production. My first charges at 120vac gave 80 miles on regular and 100 miles on extended. Immediately following my 30k service checks those ranges went significantly up to 100 and 115 miles respectively still at 120vac. Does anyone know if there has been a software update recently or if I may be cooking my batteries since the service visit? I am also wondering if I really should always shoot for charging at the highest 40A rate or give the batteries a slower charge once in a while to prolong their useful life? Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 714autonut on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next