Cheapest RAV4 EV Toyota Extended Warranty

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ferenc said:
On a side note, I've not been happy with the local service - try SF, or ...?
From what I've heard, Berkeley is one of the better service departments for our EV. Palo Alto is also very good. Luckily for me it's also my most convenient. I wouldn't drive to Berkeley for service, so I wouldn't expect you to come to Palo Alto either.

so has anyone "upgraded" an extended warranty?

I have an 8 yr 75K mile one (which is what the dealer quoted me as the longest option when i bought my Rav4EV).

I'd like to get an 8 year 125K mile one, if i can do it for a reasonable price.

Has anyone done anything like that? (i have 58K on the car now after ~4 years so i'm still covered by the one i have)

Thanks
-jcp-

n3ckf said:

I have an 8 yr 75K mile one (which is what the dealer quoted me as the longest option when i bought my Rav4EV).

Has anyone done anything like that? (i have 58K on the car now after ~4 years so i'm still covered by the one i have)

Thanks
-jcp-
That's an interesting question. I've not heard of anyone seriously looking into this before. If it is even possible, I would expect the best case would be to buy the new warranty at whatever price a dealer will sell it to you, then refund the existing one. The problem is that you've already used 58/75=77.3% of the miles on your existing warranty, so you will only get a 23.7% refund. Is that "reasonable" to you?

Ray at Gilroy Toyota - direct phone 1(415)240-3005 - handled it for me - thanks to all who helped!
Ferenc

miimura said:
n3ckf said:

Thanks
-jcp-
That's an interesting question. I've not heard of anyone seriously looking into this before. If it is even possible, I would expect the best case would be to buy the new warranty at whatever price a dealer will sell it to you, then refund the existing one. The problem is that you've already used 58/75=77.3% of the miles on your existing warranty, so you will only get a 23.7% refund. Is that "reasonable" to you?

So i checked into this. It MIGHT have been possible to "swap" to the longer warranty when my car had < 3yr/36K on it (ie. under the "factory" warranty still) but its not possible to do this after that. So i'm suck with what i have.

There is a 5yr/60K used car warranty from Toyota available (but i already have 8yr/75K so that doesnt help in my case).

So basically if you do what I did and buy the wrong warranty, you're kind of stuck with it. I still have about 16K on the warranty left so i'm probably fine but that just means that whenever a "big" problem happens after 75K, i'll probably end up junking the car.

Okay so a little more complex.

Turns out you can get the Toyota Platinum warranty on a used car.
Which is what the sales guy referenced earlier recommended i do.
That would add up to 5yr/60K miles to my car starting whenever i bought it.
I have some questions outstanding with him now.

I have about 60K on the car right now, so that would take me to about the same place buying the 125K/8yr would've at the beginning. (at higher cost than simply buying the right warranty would've before of course).

I might do it anyway, since ONE repair on this thign will blow that.

One thing though: for hybrids, the battery isnt covered under this plan (which probably means the battery isnt covered here either). However there is the required 8yr/100K mile battery coverage that every electric car is required to have in Calfiornia (which is a separate plan). And i'm not actually THAT worried about the battery itself failing, mainly a motor replacement if needed (although i've already had one done and it doesnt seem to be getting "worse" again).

Followed cashcow method with Troy in MA for warranty, hassle free except the notarized letter for post office.

n3ckf said:
Turns out you can get the Toyota Platinum warranty on a used car.
Which is what the sales guy referenced earlier recommended i do.
That would add up to 5yr/60K miles to my car starting whenever i bought it.
I have some questions outstanding with him now.

I have about 60K on the car right now, so that would take me to about the same place buying the 125K/8yr would've at the beginning. (at higher cost than simply buying the right warranty would've before of course).

Interesting. So are you saying that we can buy a Toyota Platinum used car warranty on our own cars during or near the end of our existing Toyota Platinum extended warranty periods, and that will add 5 yr or 60,000 mi of coverage from the date of warranty purchase, regardless of car age or mileage? Do we need to have our cars inspected, or does current Toyota Platinum extended warranty coverage eliminate that?

That would be a cool way to add warranty coverage.

https://www.toyotafinancial.com/pub/w/planning_center/vehicle_protection_plans/vehicle_service_agreements

Not available in every state in the USA!

Vehicle Eligibility
Vehicles are eligible for a "New Vehicle" VSA for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Coverage is effective from date of first use as a new vehicle and zero miles. Vehicle is considered new at date of first use even if vehicle has 799 miles or less on the date vehicle was first placed into service. Coverage expires at maximum time or mileage of the selected plan, whichever comes first.

Roadside Assistance
Coverage is effective throughout the life of the Agreement, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year within the continental US and Canada. Includes towing, flat tire, lockout, jump start and fuel delivery services (up to 3 gallons, excluding Fuel Cell and Electric vehicles). NOTE: Excludes Fuel Cell and Electric vehicles, which may be towed to the nearest authorized Toyota servicing dealer or authorized fueling station. Fuel delivery will not apply.

Substitute Transportation
Up to $50 per day for a maximum of 5 days per occurrence. Requires prior approval from TFS.

Benefits: Travel Protection Lodging and Meals
Up to $100 per day for lodging and meals if you're more than 150 miles from home. Call us at 1-800-228-8559 prior to incurring expenses to obtain approvals. Maximum of 5 days over the life of your agreement.

Deductible Options
$0 or $100 disappearing deductible per eligible repair visit.

Transferability
One-time, no-cost transferability from original owner is available. Between private parties only. Excludes dealers.

Cancellation
You can cancel your VSA within 30 days for a full refund, less a $50 processing fee. Pro-rata refund is applied after 30 days or if claim is paid. Please see your dealer for state-specific cancellation policies.
Coverage is subject to exclusions and limitations set forth in the Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA).

If you buy the "new car" Toyota Platinum warranty, if you turn the car in and if you ask for the refund, then you will be refunded a prorated from when the car was sold new.

That means you pay for a 6 year / 100,000 mile Toyota Platinum warranty at any time under the 3 year/36,000 mile new car warranty (by the way, DON'T waste your money on any other warranty), then when you turn it in at the end of a 3 year lease, you'll get about half your money back.

Note: VSAs (warranties) are optional, cancellable (see terms of Agreement) and not required to obtain credit. The benefits and covered operations stated here are subject to change or may vary slightly based upon the purchase date of the Agreement.

*Time and mileage coverage periods are measured from the date the vehicle was first delivered into service as a new vehicle and zero miles. Coverage expires upon reaching the maximum time or mileage of the coverage period selected, whichever occurs first. Ineligible vehicles include taxis, shuttle, commuter, municipal, professional, medical, emergency or police vehicles, salvage vehicles, all vehicles used or to be used for competitive driving or racing, vehicles used or to be used for plowing snow or towing a trailer in a manner exceeding manufacturer's recommendations, and all vehicles to be held by the purchaser or lessee for hire to the public or for hire to any persons not affiliated with the vehicle purchaser or lessee.

https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/web/tfs/pub/contents/vsa/TFS_VSA_Platinum_VSA_eBrochure.pdf

Eligibility:

New
New Toyota vehicle less than 3 years old and up to
36,000 total vehicle miles.

Used
Used Toyota vehicle within current plus 9 model
years old and up to 150,000 total vehicle miles.
See your dealer for eligibility requirements on nonToyota
vehicles. Used Vehicle plans are available
through your Toyota dealer only at the time of used
vehicle purchase or lease.

THESE ARE THE ITEMS NOT COVERED:
Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and
Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet; Chrome; Clutch Friction
Disc and Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad; Door Fabric; Door Trim;
Filters; Fluids; Fuel Cell Air Compressor; Fuel Cell Boost Converter;
Fuel Cell Electronic Control Unit; Fuel Cell Hydrogen Tanks; Fuel Cell
Power Control Unit; Fuel Cell Stack; Fuel Cell Vehicle Battery Pack;
Glass (including Windshields); Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and
Tubes; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery
Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply
Battery Assembly; Hydrogen Fueling Electronic Control Unit; Interior
and Exterior Trim Moldings (including but not limited to: Ashtrays,
Covers, Cup Holders, and Vents); Lamps, Light Assemblies/Housings,
and Light Bulbs; Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers, and Fasteners; Paint; Rust
and Corrosion Damage; Seat Covers; Sheet Metals; Shiny Metals; Spark
Plugs; Structural Framework and Welds; Tires; Vacuum Hoses, Lines and
Tubes; Weather Stripping; Wheels and Rims; Windshield Wiper Blades
(Rubber component); All interior and exterior cloth, leather, and stitching
including convertible tops and/or vinyl tops including but not limited
to: any vibration, deterioration, discoloration, disfigurement, warping,
fading, staining, stretching, ripping, punctures, tearing, and/or scratches

Larry_in_Seattle said:
" Give Jason a call in the finance dept at Toyota of Kirkland, WA, too. Google that dealer. 8 year / 125k mile / $0 deductible was going for about $1575 last year. NO in-state requirement to buy. NO inspection if under the 3yr/36k from 1st sale/lease date.
The Platinum warranty actually DOES cover more. It includes lodging and meals if your car breaks down away from home and you're stuck somewhere, for example.
I wouldn't consider buying one of these cars without an extended warranty!

Looking to buy extended warranty for my 2 rav4ev's, so called Toyota of Kirkland, WA
Jason left Toyota of Kirkland to become a trainer.

*UPDATE*
[previous story deleted]
Jim Curtis of this Toyota of Kirkland dealer (after some emailing back and forth) matched the price posted here before.
Happy to announce I have now extended warranty 10Y/125K

fromport said:
Larry_in_Seattle said:
" Give Jason a call in the finance dept at Toyota of Kirkland, WA, too. Google that dealer. 8 year / 125k mile / $0 deductible was going for about $1575 last year. NO in-state requirement to buy. NO inspection if under the 3yr/36k from 1st sale/lease date.
The Platinum warranty actually DOES cover more. It includes lodging and meals if your car breaks down away from home and you're stuck somewhere, for example.
I wouldn't consider buying one of these cars without an extended warranty!

Looking to buy extended warranty for my 2 rav4ev's, so called Toyota of Kirkland, WA
Jason left Toyota of Kirkland to become a trainer.
I spoke to Jim Curtis, who asked some extra information: vin/milage etc and after an hour called me back with the info that my rav4ev's don't qualify for platiunum warrranty.
I asked why, he said "toyota won't let me, and I've been with Toyota 20 years"
Started to talk about alternative warranty that 17 dealers together had made up.
I kindly interrupted him I only wanted the original Toyota platinum warranty

So will continue my quest, just wanted to update that it's no bother to call Toyota of Kirkland, WA (anymore)

What a bullshit snowjob!!!! Ya, I'll bet those dealers all colluded to suck up money that Toytota would otherwise get in Platinum Warranty sales. What a scam. I bet they promise the moon on their private little warranty, and when it comes time to cough up some cash to repair your car... they are too poor.

I'm having trouble reaching Ray. Does anyone have someone in California I can reach for a good deal? My 3 yrs is up next week.

pl804 said:
Thanks. Finally connected with Ray at Gilroy and purchased the 8yr/75k plan for $1235.
That's pretty steep!
Can anybody share direct contact of east coast folks that sell 8yr/100k for under $1200? I've got another month to go, need to start working on this. I have friends in MA and can use their address, so in-state requirement shouldn't be a dealbreaker, even though I would prefer to get contract directly to my home address in CA if that's possible.

Hi guys,

I received a private message from someone asking me if the prices with Mr. Troy at Greenfield Toyota are still the same (No price increase), so I went ahead and sent in an e-mail asking that. Mr. Troy got back to me and said that the prices for the extended warranties are still the same. It seems Toyota HQ has not increased them. I'm going to re-post them here for those who need them. Prices are current as of feb 24 2017:

Toyota Extra Care, Platinum coverage with $0 deductible:
4 yr / 100K - $675.00
5 yr / 125K - $915.00
6 yr / 75K - $645.00
6 yr / 100K - $895.00
6 yr / 125K - $1140.00
7 yr / 75K - $715.00
7 yr / 100K - $1025.00
7 yr / 125K - $1250.00
8 yr / 75K - $835.00
8 yr / 100K - $1145.00
8 yr / 125K - $1505.00
9 yr / 125K - $1665.00
10 yr / 125K - $1795.00.

Troy Dietrich
Factory Discount Warranty
Toyota & Ford of Greenfield
Fathers & Sons Audi & Volkswagen
Tel. 413-772-0989
Fax. 413-775-6519

He has the best prices around and I got my extended warranty from him no problem. You can buy the ext warranty by using a mail forwarding system like anytime mail box and renting a mail unit @ Brooklyn, NY. The ext will be sent to the unit then forwarded to the address of your choice. Enjoy your new ext warranty!

OH! Forgot to mention this but for those of you buying the extended warranty I'd recommend applying for the Toyota Rewards Visa Credit Card as it has a reward program (Gives you points that are valued as money) and last I checked a sign up bonus.

Earning Points. You will earn Points for Net New Purchases on your Account so long as your Account is in Good Standing. You will earn:

Five (5) Points for each $1.00 of Net New Purchases made at Toyota dealerships
Two (2) Points for each $1.00 of Net New Purchases spent on gas and entertainment purchases (including restaurants, event tickets, sporting activities and more). Purchases for Gas and Entertainment are determined by merchant category codes assigned by Visa. If you have questions about whether a purchase would qualify as a Gas or Entertainment purchase, please call Visa Customer Care at (844) 271-2695 (TDD/TTY 888-819-1918) or Visa Signature Customer Care at (844) 271-2704 (TDD/TTY 888-819-1918).
One (1) Point for each $1.00 of Net New Purchases made everywhere else Visa is accepted
Spend $500 outside of Toyota dealerships within the first 90 days and receive 5,000 bonus points

For me it worked as:

$1505(Warranty Cost)/5(points)=301 Points for the warranty purchase which gives me a $3.01 discount as statement credit.
$500 on other purchase in the first 3 months you get 5,000 bonus points which, I believe, equals to $50 statement credit.

So my 8 yr / 125K $1505.00 came down to $1,452. and the CC comes with a 0% APR for 6 months. I applied for it during the purchase of the ext warranty and got approved. I suggest it for anyone who would like an extra $53 dollar discount :) if you buy the same warranty.

ggodman said:
Followed cashcow method with Troy in MA for warranty, hassle free except the notarized letter for post office.

BTW, you can get the notarized paper for free at your bank some of them provide this free notarized service and other don't. Chase/Bank of America for me did not want to do it but Pan American Bank (A small local bank in LA for me) did do it for free. So you might have to call around. Also I have herd that credit unions do it for free also. If you don't want to do the leg work then you can do it online but it will cost you about 10 or 20 dollars :). Might be a good idea to consider a credit union or small local bank if they don't charge you any extra money to open a small account. I've used the free notary service twice or three times now with my pan american bank. Saved me some money.

I live in Atlanta, Georgia. Can I buy this warranty from any Toyota dealer anywhere (including MA), and have it honored at any dealer anywhere else (including GA)?

Thanks,

tridub said:
Also, is the Platinum warranty transferable to a new owner if I decide to sell a RAV?
tridub said:
I live in Atlanta, Georgia. Can I buy this warranty from any Toyota dealer anywhere (including MA), and have it honored at any dealer anywhere else (including GA)?
Short Answers - Yes and Yes.

Any dealer can sell the warranty for whatever price they want. Some dealers are limited to selling the warranty to someone in their territory. Troy requires a mailing address in the northeast states. Any state bordering Mass. should qualify. It is very easy to buy the new car Platinum Warranty if the car is still within the original 3yr/36k mi factory warranty.

The new car Platinum Warranty is transferable to a private party. You can also get a prorated refund for any unused portion.

Back