ALL POSTS - Heater Failed - Service Bulletin TSB 0111-14

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seem like my heater is dead. I just bought the car in April, so I never tried to use the heater until now. I tried every mode as suggested in the forum : AC Off, temp and fan set high, vent on front and feet. No heat even after 30 min.

Can any one recommend dealer in San Jose area to diagnose and perform the service? I saw Palo Alto and Fremont dealers who performed the work on some of you. Any in San Jose?

I also looked up TSB 0111-14. It doesn't seem to exist. Anyone have a copy?

Thanks.

I believe the only other EV certified dealers are Stevens Creek, Sunnyvale, and Milpitas. I only have experience with Palo Alto. They are excellent for the EVs.

My dealer in CO was told about the TSB when they coordinated with corporate, and they've ordered the parts and scheduled me to come in 11/17 assuming they get the regional technician lined up to do the work. Here's hoping that happens, because if it gets really cold I'll have to start driving my regular RAV4.

I live in the North Bay - is there a way to determine if a dealer is EV certified? It seems that when I talk to the service people they think because they work on Prius that they are.
My heater is out and I had a less than good experience in Santa Rosa on the engine noise, so I am looking for the closest alternative. There are dealers in Petaluma and San Rafael but I have not seem any mentions on them.

Took the car in Saturday to Steven Creek Toyota for heater diagnosis and get the recall work done. Confirmed that the heater is broken, and the part will be in on Monday. Just got the recall work performed and retrieved the car for the weekend until the replacement heater arrives.

Took the car back in on Tuesday once I got the confirmation on Monday the part did arrive. They replaced both heating unit and the DC/DC converter. Heat is on!

You're luckier than me. My heater replacement/firmware update yesterday has left the car in an "undriveable state." I don't know what went wrong...

I also mentioned in another thread that my other ICE Rav4 was crushed by a tree this morning in a wind storm, so now I have to get a loaner. Sad.

My 2013 RAV4 EV heater is out at 39,122 miles. I would have known it sooner if the cold weather came sooner, and now it's not covered with the estimate to be $6300 to fix this heater.

I strongly advise every RAV4 EV owner to check on this frequently. It is not just the heater went out but my car is dead. It got EV system check and nothing can be done to recover. I had to tow to Steven Creek Toyota to learn from the advisor that the heater + DC to DC converter failed to cause this EV system check. Car cannot be charged or drive anymore.

This whole Toyota EV experience is really bad for me. I bought the car not to expect it to be totally broke down at < 40K miles and this can't be included as power train warranty. The whole heater deal should be a recall one but it is not.

Worse, Toyota customer care did not act on it and talking like it's not their responsibility for this poor design/venture. I have owned Toyota + Lexus for over 20 years but this may be the last.

LLN

llnsj said:
My 2013 RAV4 EV heater is out at 39,122 miles. I would have known it sooner if the cold weather came sooner, and now it's not covered with the estimate to be $6300 to fix this heater.

I strongly advise every RAV4 EV owner to check on this frequently. It is not just the heater went out but my car is dead. It got EV system check and nothing can be done to recover. I had to tow to Steven Creek Toyota to learn from the advisor that the heater + DC to DC converter failed to cause this EV system check. Car cannot be charged or drive anymore.

This whole Toyota EV experience is really bad for me. I bought the car not to expect it to be totally broke down at < 40K miles and this can't be included as power train warranty. The whole heater deal should be a recall one but it is not.

Worse, Toyota customer care did not act on it and talking like it's not their responsibility for this poor design/venture. I have owned Toyota + Lexus for over 20 years but this may be the last.

LLN

This weekend I had to jump start my rav4ev, low 12 volt battery. put a volt meter on the 12 volt battery. Looked for increase of voltage when I turned on the EV (ready mode) and it didn't.
So I checked the heater: No warmth coming from the vents after a few minutes.

So basically same situation: heater broke down, didn't notice and took DC-DC converter down with it.
My luck is I am within 36 months/36k miles (34k atm) so it will be a warranty repair.
This is _the_ reason I am getting extended warranty this week.
If this happens once in the next 7 years (i'm buying 10y/125k) i will have earned more than I invested in the warranty (about $1800).
Pitty yours didn't have the warranty (even the one you can buy after 36month/36k miles)

fromport said:
If this happens once in the next 7 years (i'm buying 10y/125k) i will have earned more than I invested in the warranty (about $1800).
Pitty yours didn't have the warranty (even the one you can buy after 36month/36k miles)

Yup, I thought 60K mile warranty on powertrain and 150K mile warranty on battery were all I need. Who knows this harmless heater can break entire car?

I don't know if I can purchase extended warranty at this time.

LLN

I would email/call Kevin Spillane's replacement about this. According to another thread, it's:

Thorn at 800-331-4331, press Option 3, then Extension 47530 and may be contacted by email at [email protected]

Back when I had an expensive steering problem with my 1st gen Prius, I was at least able to get a $2000 credit towards a new car, so I would think customer support could throw you a sop, if not just cover the darn thing altogether. Keep making a stink, IMO. This is def. why I bought an extended warranty because this car is not your average car for repairs, to say the least.

mickeymammoth said:
I would email/call Kevin Spillane's replacement about this. According to another thread, it's:

Thorn at 800-331-4331, press option 3, then dial extension 47530 and may be contacted by email at [email protected]

Back when I had an expensive steering problem with my 1st gen Prius, I was at least able to get a $2000 credit towards a new car, so I would think customer support could throw you a sop, if not just cover the darn thing altogether. Keep making a stink, IMO. This is def. why I bought an extended warranty because this car is not your average car for repairs, to say the least.

Thanks for the tips. I am waiting for the Toyota customer care about this case. I think the same Thorn (with different extension) is my case manager.

LLN

llnsj said:
fromport said:

Yup, I thought 60K mile warranty on powertrain and 150K mile warranty on battery were all I need. Who knows this harmless heater can break entire car?

I don't know if I can purchase extended warranty at this time.

LLN

Did you advise the dealer of the Toyota Service Bulletin TSB-0111-14?

TonyWilliams said:

Thanks Tony! I just asked my advisor about that. His answer was pretty standard that it should be covered in the diagnostics but I asked him kindly check it again.

I did some search and there is no description on this TSB. I think I read somewhere that RAV4 EV got this problem on early 2012 model when mine is 2013.

LLN

llnsj said:
TonyWilliams said:

Thanks Tony! I just asked my advisor about that. His answer was pretty standard that it should be covered in the diagnostics but I asked him kindly check it again.

I did some search and there is no description on this TSB. I think I read somewhere that RAV4 EV got this problem on early 2012 model when mine is 2013.

LLN

Don't guess. Have the dealer show you that TSB.

Get a call today:
The dealer replaced the DC-DC converter and the resistive heater.
When they powered the high voltage back on the computer would not respond to diagnostic signals on the OBD2 plug.

Toyota now thinks my modification of the volt/amp meter I attached to the J1772 INLET is causing problems on the CANBUS of the car.
Going over to the dealership today to disable my volt/amp meter.

fromport said:
Get a call today:
The dealer replaced the DC-DC converter and the resistive heater.
When they powered the high voltage back on the computer would not respond to diagnostic signals on the OBD2 plug.

Toyota now thinks my modification of the volt/amp meter I attached to the J1772 INLET is causing problems on the CANBUS of the car.
Going over to the dealership today to disable my volt/amp meter.

Yes, a purely analog thing that isn't even connected to the CAN bus is causing the problem. Geniuses.

Back