Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 4:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RAV4EV Stuck
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:26 pm 

So yesterday I drove the car to the market, with no problems. This morning, I go to get in and it makes a funny noise, a screen flashes up and says "P Lock Malfunction" so I played with the parking brake. After a while that message went away but the car will not start or do anything really. It doesn't respond to the on/off button.

So now the car is in the garage and won't respond. So I wanted to have it towed to Toyota, but how to get it out of the garage when I can't take it out of Park?

Any ideas?

Edit: I think I've figured out the problem. The regular battery is showing 5.6 volts, it's toast.

Post subject: Re: RAV4EV Stuck
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:18 pm 

jscgvnc wrote:
So yesterday I drove the car to the market, with no problems. This morning, I go to get in and it makes a funny noise, a screen flashes up and says "P Lock Malfunction" so I played with the parking brake. After a while that message went away but the car will not start or do anything really. It doesn't respond to the on/off button.

So now the car is in the garage and won't respond. So I wanted to have it towed to Toyota, but how to get it out of the garage when I can't take it out of Park?

Any ideas?

Edit: I think I've figured out the problem. The regular battery is showing 5.6 volts, it's toast.

As a veteran Prius owner & tinkerer I've become familiar with how a car can just decide to do nothing when it senses something ins't just right. The usual symptoms that give us clues to a depleted 12v battery (or an incorrectly connected aftermarket stereo) don't exist on modern cars. :shock: