Would you buy a Rav4 EV sold before 2014? In Florida?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ev_Bob

Greetings All,

The wife and I are considering purchasing a Rav4 EV :-D

However, after reading the forums - it seems there are quite a few (expensive) items that breakdown more readily than it should - the most common thing it seems is the heater core that may also take out the DC-DC - resulting in a 6-7K in repair. Amoungst other things like charger board, battery, gears, motor, etc....

It would seem almost absolutely necessary to buy a 2014 with under 36K miles in order to get the platinum 8/10 year extended warranty?

Also being in Florida, doesn't help with the potential service/repair aspects, as it seems all the EV certified techs are in California?

There are 2 Rav4 EVs available in my state (2013 with 36K miles and a 2012 with 16K miles) - would we be better off not to consider these and instead consider purchasing a sight unseen one from a toyota dealership and negotiate them to include the extended platinum warranty and have it shipped to me instead?

Thank in advance!,

Bob

Get the VIN from the cars you are considering, then go to a Toyota dealer and see what warranty they will sell you:

1) New car Platinum warranty - for vehicle "normally" under 3 years / 36,000 miles
Available for up to 10 years / 125,000 from new.

2) Used car Platinum warranty - car must be less than 9 years old and I think 150,000 miles. It may require an inspection by the dealer.
Available up to 5yr / 60,000 miles from warranty purchase date.

If you can't qualify for the new car warranty, it doesn't really matter what year RAV4 EV you buy for the used car warranty.

I would not hesitate to buy a used one from a Toyota dealer with the 5yr/60k mi Platinum Service Agreement included. I had to think about this because mine was in a collision that was close to being written off. However, I would make sure to evaluate it thoroughly before taking it out of state so that the service could be done more easily in California.

yeah dont buy one if you cant get the warranty at current prices.

*Or* if the price goes low enough (for me this would be $10-12K), eventually these will be decent deals even if they end up having a problem.
(how often do you use the heater in Florida?).

Used ones arent down to that price yet, but some other electric vehicles have had price collapses (the Fiat 500 EV is apparently available at rock bottom prices off lease).

They have to eventually sell these cars.

In its day, the RAV 4 was the longest legged EV available at other than a luxury (i.e. Tesla) price

Today, one can lease a 240 mile Bolt for less than a RAV was when new. I see little reason to buy a used RAV unless at a very low price and/or its size it critical to your own use.

michael said:
In its day, the RAV 4 was the longest legged EV available at other than a luxury (i.e. Tesla) price

Today, one can lease a 240 mile Bolt for less than a RAV was when new. I see little reason to buy a used RAV unless at a very low price and/or its size it critical to your own use.

I guess the reverse is also true... I see little reason to buy a Bolt EV unless range is important at the expense of much smaller physical size than RAV4.

I tend to agree with Tony. I finally drove a Bolt at the Atlanta Auto Show in March, and it looked and felt a lot smaller than my RAV. The uncomfortable seat I had heard about was also quite evident...it felt like sitting on a toilet - with the seat up! If Chevy doesn't fix that, I'm out.

Greetings All,

So it seems those two Rav4Evs aren't going anywhere fast, they are still available -- the 2012 one with 16K? miles asking for 16K, the 2013 one with 39K miles for 14.5K...the 2013 one was in an accident according to carfax...

We settled on a pre owned BMW i3...have to say its really great...however, it would be nicer if it was a bit larger...hence me looking at the Rav4Evs again ;-)

Which brings up the question: How is the long term reliability of these cars? Beyond the last recall, do these need to go back to the dealership regularly?
If I never use the heat, the DC to DC board/component should not break down? The last recall, should have addressed the motor issue? Any other items that have a higher than normal likelyhood of breaking down?

Beyond taking the risk of something breaking after warranty on a 1st generation car...I'm a long long way from anyone that would know how to fix it - I'm a far, far away from Toyota Dealerships in California...it seems like its not worth the risk?

I hope that I can relieve your fears somewhat. We had #3021 in Washington state, where it got a new motor. The car was moved to Colorado, where it got service for a Check EV signal.

Two weeks ago, a battery was swapped with a Washington based car (it was shipped to California for this work). All the above cars also had JdeMO equipped during service.

Toyota has ALWAYS supported this car, as well as the first generation RAV4 EV. It's not always pretty, but I'm not aware of a single abandoned car.

Your best source of help for a specific issue is right here, which can help you approach Toyota dealers with your issue.

Back