Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Talk me into it. Or not.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:39 pm 

thekeifer1 wrote:
Well, I talked myself into it! I've been eyeing these cars for several years but live in Tennessee. I was a little worried about getting them maintained but I've watched the boards and it seems doable (under warranty!) -

I bought a silver 2012 with less than 14,000 miles from Carvana - they don't charge for shipping in Nashville so it was perfect to get it here. I registered it with Toyota and all of the recalls were already taken care of (in Texas where the car spent most of its life). It doesn't look like anything has been done except for the recalls. It could be the low mileage of the vehicle.

I have the option of the Carvana Care extended warranty but after seeing the Carmax warranty issues on here, I'm going to try to purchase the Toyota used car warranty. It's well under the mileage for the platinum warranty everyone wants but it's too old :(

I've had it for about a week. There is free level 2 charging 5 blocks from my office so I'm surviving on that and level 1 charging at home. I'll probably eventually spring for buying a level 2 charger at home.

Congratulations! I purchased my Rav4ev in February and absolutely love it. I live in Wilmington, NC so the local dealership has never seen one. I am unable to get Entunes remote Apps working (but that is a minor issue for me). I installed a 240 volt Juicebox EVSE and it has made charging a breeze. I hope you enjoy your car as much as I'm enjoying mine. Todd

2013 Toyota Rav4 EV #2227 Pearl White
40 Amp Juicebox
1972 John Deere Electric E90 Riding Mower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:28 pm 

Entune is very temperamental. There is a Toyota document that spells out compatibility with different phones and it is all over the map. My Galaxy 3 works well in some ways but will not pass text messages, where my S6 works well with text, email, etc. but will not do remote climate or remote charge. Go figure. The only thing certain is there is no available support or fixes for these issues. You get what you get and Toyota don't care!

8/12/14 RAV4 EV #3008, Blizzard Pearl
9kW Solar Electric System
SDGE TOU metering
OpenEVSE 40 amp

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:48 pm 

The phone's direct communication with the head unit by Bluetooth is one issue and if the head unit is not compatible with your phone, you're pretty much stuck unless a phone software update can fix it.

However, getting a used car properly registered to the new owner through SafetyConnect and Entune EV Apps is another difficulty that is completely in the hands of the Toyota Customer Experience Center. If you've paid for SafetyConnect and they can't get the remote telematics portion of Entune working, then I would ask for a full SafetyConnect refund, even though some time has passed and technically they have provided service for the other features of the service.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:35 pm 

ToyTesla wrote:
thekeifer1 wrote:
Well, I talked myself into it! I've been eyeing these cars for several years but live in Tennessee. I was a little worried about getting them maintained but I've watched the boards and it seems doable (under warranty!) -

I bought a silver 2012 with less than 14,000 miles from Carvana - they don't charge for shipping in Nashville so it was perfect to get it here. I registered it with Toyota and all of the recalls were already taken care of (in Texas where the car spent most of its life). It doesn't look like anything has been done except for the recalls. It could be the low mileage of the vehicle.

I have the option of the Carvana Care extended warranty but after seeing the Carmax warranty issues on here, I'm going to try to purchase the Toyota used car warranty. It's well under the mileage for the platinum warranty everyone wants but it's too old :(

I've had it for about a week. There is free level 2 charging 5 blocks from my office so I'm surviving on that and level 1 charging at home. I'll probably eventually spring for buying a level 2 charger at home.

Congratulations! I purchased my Rav4ev in February and absolutely love it. I live in Wilmington, NC so the local dealership has never seen one. I am unable to get Entunes remote Apps working (but that is a minor issue for me). I installed a 240 volt Juicebox EVSE and it has made charging a breeze. I hope you enjoy your car as much as I'm enjoying mine. Todd

Yes, one of the items that does need to be addressed is a chip in the windshield. Carvana contracted with Safelite to replace it and they sent me an email confirming the replacement for the "2012 RAV4." I spent way too much time on the phone today trying to convince them that the windshield for the ICE RAV wasn't the right part. I eventually called Toyota to confirm (what I already read on here). To Toyota's credit, they just went with it and looked up what I needed. The part numbers were one number off. Safelite is still "investigating." :D

The good news is there is one for sale at a local dealership about 30 minutes from me. Hopefully having another one around will help!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:01 pm 

i have a chip on my windshield too but havent bothered to have it replaced yet. (its just a chip, not a crack).

Good to know its a seperate part #.

I wonder why that is? They're doesnt seem to be anything ev-specific about the windshield...

2013 Shoreline Blue Pearl Rav4 EV #1634

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:25 pm 

n3ckf wrote:
i have a chip on my windshield too but havent bothered to have it replaced yet. (its just a chip, not a crack).

Good to know its a seperate part #.

I wonder why that is? They're doesnt seem to be anything ev-specific about the windshield...

It's thicker.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:51 pm 

OK, it is thicker. Is it possible to replace with a ICE RAV4 windshield for cheap?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:54 pm 

New8848 wrote:
OK, it is thicker. Is it possible to replace with a ICE RAV4 windshield for cheap?

Yes, 2012 ICE RAV4 windshield will fit. People have done it. However, it will not be as quiet and it won't have the masking for the humidity sensor behind the rear view mirror.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE