Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cost for a New/Replacement/Replace Traction Battery?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:21 am 

Hi,

I have been searching everywhere but I cannot seem to find the cost for a new traction battery for our RAV4 EV. I think someone mentioned it once, mainly thinking Tony here, but I can't find the thread/post. Could someone let me know what the cost for a new traction battery is? Does this cost differ if it is a replacement traction battery? I am assuming all replacements are new?

Post subject: Re: Cost for a New/Replacement/Replace Traction Battery?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:28 pm 

cashcow wrote:
Hi,

I have been searching everywhere but I cannot seem to find the cost for a new traction battery for our RAV4 EV. I think someone mentioned it once, mainly thinking Tony here, but I can't find the thread/post. Could someone let me know what the cost for a new traction battery is? Does this cost differ if it is a replacement traction battery? I am assuming all replacements are new?

The last known retail price of the main traction battery was $36,000.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:33 pm 

The "retail price" of the battery pack will never be that relevant. By the time cars go outside the 8/100 traction battery warranty and fail in some way, owners would be much better off finding one from a scrapped vehicle than to pay whatever Toyota is asking for a new one. Toyota and Tesla may not ever offer battery repair service, but eventually, even failed batteries could be combined together by a third party to make good ones.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:36 am 

Perhaps someone will be able to figure out how to rebuild the rav pack with the bigger better 2170 cells.

I want it and I want it now!

Please.

Thank you!

Longest Rav 4 road trip: 925 miles over 2 days from Berkeley Ca to Anaheim CA and back. Made possible with the JdeMO aftermarket quick charge port by Tony Williams and team.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:20 pm 

I second that thought. It would sure be nice to have a an upgraded battery pack on the RAV4 EV with at least 65 kWh or even 80 kWh but it is a long shot at best. A couple other nice upgrades to go along with larger battery pack would be a newer on board 48 amp charger (or even the 72 amp charger) and a modification of the motor control software increase the power output of the motor by 20% although I suspect the drive train hardware is at its limit as is the traction. I'd call it the RAV4 EV-P....P can be for plus or performance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:23 am 

swogee wrote:
I second that thought. It would sure be nice to have a an upgraded battery pack on the RAV4 EV with at least 65 kWh or even 80 kWh but it is a long shot at best. A couple other nice upgrades to go along with larger battery pack would be a newer on board 48 amp charger (or even the 72 amp charger) and a modification of the motor control software increase the power output of the motor by 20% although I suspect the drive train hardware is at its limit as is the traction. I'd call it the RAV4 EV-P....P can be for plus or performance.

There is actually a twin charger option for the vehicle BUT when you put the second charger in you have to set it as 'slave' so both can work together and this requires the setting be available in the software which I doubt is available. The twin charger option was an option on the MS a while back when these came out. Problem is you'd need the right firmware to able to use the second charger and set it as a slave. unless we find a solution to that we are kind of stuck

Oh, I just wanted to mention that another option can also be to increase the aerodynamic profile of the rav4 ev to increase the driving range. If it can be brought down to 0.1 I am sure there will be a good enough gain in range. Of course that would require some dramatic changes such as: Full Boat Tail, front and rear skirts, Lowering the rav4 ev, full wheel tire fairings, and likely working with the front of the vehicle and slope from the hood to the top of the cabin. After that you'd look into weight reduction for further increase. Not an easy job at all BUT an alternative....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:12 am 

Considering the cost of the other "minor" components I plan to part out my vehicle if the battery quits out of warranty.
Retail price of the battery installed you could probably buy a LEAF and a BOLT brand new.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:27 pm 

smkettner wrote:
Considering the cost of the other "minor" components I plan to part out my vehicle if the battery quits out of warranty.
Retail price of the battery installed you could probably buy a LEAF and a BOLT brand new.

Yep... or buy a battery from a wrecked car.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:38 am 

Even if the traction battery quits wouldn't some individual cells possibly still work? If so wouldn't replacing bad cells be a better option? Or maybe take the good cells and make a mini powerwall? I believe that is what could be done once the traction battery can only give out like 10 miles? I think nissan is giving some old leaf packs a new life doing that in europe I think.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:20 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
cashcow wrote:
Hi,

The last known retail price of the main traction battery was $36,000.

Why is this an issue? Is the vehicle over 100k miles? It should be in "warranty" what ever that will turn out to mean. (At least in California)

And there are apparently no new ones made at any price... so claims Toyota

2014 Toyota RAV4 EV - Pearl (bought used to replace my old one)