Cost for a New/Replacement/Replace Traction Battery?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

Hi,

I have been searching everywhere but I cannot seem to find the cost for a new traction battery for our RAV4 EV. I think someone mentioned it once, mainly thinking Tony here, but I can't find the thread/post. Could someone let me know what the cost for a new traction battery is? Does this cost differ if it is a replacement traction battery? I am assuming all replacements are new?

cashcow said:
Hi,

I have been searching everywhere but I cannot seem to find the cost for a new traction battery for our RAV4 EV. I think someone mentioned it once, mainly thinking Tony here, but I can't find the thread/post. Could someone let me know what the cost for a new traction battery is? Does this cost differ if it is a replacement traction battery? I am assuming all replacements are new?

The last known retail price of the main traction battery was $36,000.

The "retail price" of the battery pack will never be that relevant. By the time cars go outside the 8/100 traction battery warranty and fail in some way, owners would be much better off finding one from a scrapped vehicle than to pay whatever Toyota is asking for a new one. Toyota and Tesla may not ever offer battery repair service, but eventually, even failed batteries could be combined together by a third party to make good ones.

Perhaps someone will be able to figure out how to rebuild the rav pack with the bigger better 2170 cells.

I want it and I want it now!

Please.

Thank you!

I second that thought. It would sure be nice to have a an upgraded battery pack on the RAV4 EV with at least 65 kWh or even 80 kWh but it is a long shot at best. A couple other nice upgrades to go along with larger battery pack would be a newer on board 48 amp charger (or even the 72 amp charger) and a modification of the motor control software increase the power output of the motor by 20% although I suspect the drive train hardware is at its limit as is the traction. I'd call it the RAV4 EV-P....P can be for plus or performance.

swogee said:
I second that thought. It would sure be nice to have a an upgraded battery pack on the RAV4 EV with at least 65 kWh or even 80 kWh but it is a long shot at best. A couple other nice upgrades to go along with larger battery pack would be a newer on board 48 amp charger (or even the 72 amp charger) and a modification of the motor control software increase the power output of the motor by 20% although I suspect the drive train hardware is at its limit as is the traction. I'd call it the RAV4 EV-P....P can be for plus or performance.

There is actually a twin charger option for the vehicle BUT when you put the second charger in you have to set it as 'slave' so both can work together and this requires the setting be available in the software which I doubt is available. The twin charger option was an option on the MS a while back when these came out. Problem is you'd need the right firmware to able to use the second charger and set it as a slave. unless we find a solution to that we are kind of stuck

Oh, I just wanted to mention that another option can also be to increase the aerodynamic profile of the rav4 ev to increase the driving range. If it can be brought down to 0.1 I am sure there will be a good enough gain in range. Of course that would require some dramatic changes such as: Full Boat Tail, front and rear skirts, Lowering the rav4 ev, full wheel tire fairings, and likely working with the front of the vehicle and slope from the hood to the top of the cabin. After that you'd look into weight reduction for further increase. Not an easy job at all BUT an alternative....

Considering the cost of the other "minor" components I plan to part out my vehicle if the battery quits out of warranty.
Retail price of the battery installed you could probably buy a LEAF and a BOLT brand new.

Even if the traction battery quits wouldn't some individual cells possibly still work? If so wouldn't replacing bad cells be a better option? Or maybe take the good cells and make a mini powerwall? I believe that is what could be done once the traction battery can only give out like 10 miles? I think nissan is giving some old leaf packs a new life doing that in europe I think.

TonyWilliams said:
cashcow said:
Hi,

Why is this an issue? Is the vehicle over 100k miles? It should be in "warranty" what ever that will turn out to mean. (At least in California)

And there are apparently no new ones made at any price... so claims Toyota

For what it's worth ...

6uJ98Xg.png

This suggests that Toyota is no longer maintaining an inventory of spares.

laguna_b said:
TonyWilliams said:
cashcow said:
Hi,

Why is this an issue? Is the vehicle over 100k miles? It should be in "warranty" what ever that will turn out to mean. (At least in California)

And there are apparently no new ones made at any price... so claims Toyota

So wait, Tesla no longer makes the 41.8kwh battery pack and Toyota no longer has any spares or maintains any spares? If this is true then what will happen once one of our battery dies during warranty?

ddoxey said:
For what it's worth ...

This suggests that Toyota is no longer maintaining an inventory of spares.

If this is true I wonder what will happen during a battery replacement under warranty?

cashcow said:
If this is true I wonder what will happen during a battery replacement under warranty?

A battery was just replaced last week at Berkeley Toyota. Let Toyota worry about how they handle the 8 year / 100,000 factory new battery warranty, and up to 10 year / 125,000 Platinum extended warranty.

I'm not surprised that they don't have spares at Toyota. That's because Tesla handles the batteries directly. Tesla likely doesn't have many in stock, and I suspect that every one is a remanufactured battery.

If the cells were actually "bricked" in a failed battery, I suspect they just dispose of it.

I would not expect to be able to purchase a battery until the warranty is gone.
That does not mean Toyota does not have inventory or that Tesla will not make batteries when needed.

cashcow said:

Funny you should mention it - I'm having my battery replaced under warranty currently. I've been waiting 6 weeks, and Toyota is telling me it could be 3 months or more for them to get a battery from Tesla. I was told directly that Toyota does not stock the battery, and that Tesla is the bottleneck in providing them. Tesla provides zero visibility into their process, so no way of knowing if they are just slow, or building new ones on demand, refurbishing old batteries...

TonyWilliams said:
cashcow said:
Hi,

My service technician shared a bit with me regarding this. There is no retail pricing on the battery anymore - Toyota won't sell them at any price. He said verbally that Tesla invoices Toyota $10k for a battery, but I didn't see any paperwork that corroborates that info.

Back