Range before the drive train/motor needs to be replaced?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ev_Bob

Greetings All,

It seems as long as your motor/drive train doesn't start failing (making noises) by 20K miles - It normally lasts 60-90K+ miles before it start showing signs it needs to be replaced?

Thank you for everyone's contribution to this forum!

I don't think there is a definitive pattern for the original drive units. The only thing I'm reasonably sure of is that they made a change to how they rebuild them at the beginning of 2016. The ones rebuilt after that point seem to be staying quiet.

The going rumor which comes from the Model S forums is that the Revision "Q" motors are built to remain quiet. I haven't seen anything more definitive or descriptive.

Here are a couple of snapshots.

71nAAG8.jpg
EFvphjH.jpg

On the left is the tag on my original motor from 2013. On the right is the tag on a 2016 Model S motor, which is currently for sale on ebay.

I would be interested to see the tag on a recently installed -- quiet -- motor in one of our Rav4s.

davewill said:
ddoxey said:

I would be interested to see the tag on a recently installed -- quiet -- motor in one of our Rav4s.
I'd be happy to oblige if I knew where to find it.

The tag is on the bottom of the motor. To see it you need to drop the plastic belly pan, which is held in place with some 10mm screws and some plastic push-pins. Not convenient, and not too tough.

I dropped my belly pan because I was going after the nut that I fumbled when I was changing my 12v battery.

Would you recommend searching for a motor with a "Q" before purchasing from a non-Toyota dealer to limit risk of replacing without warranty?

jabroni420 said:
Would you recommend searching for a motor with a "Q" before purchasing from a non-Toyota dealer to limit risk of replacing without warranty?

That would be a nearly impossible task. 99.9% of dealers and owners won't have a clue what you're talking about, not is the data easy to gather (data is on the bottom of the car, and you need to remove a large clunky cover to view).

Back