Interior Lights/Keyless Entry and Shipping to East Coast

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennsylvania RAV

Just got my RAV 4 EV yesterday. Shipped from San Diego to Lancaster, PA. Was on car carrier truck about 8 days...had
"full" (80%) charge when left San Diego. Driven about 1 mile during 8 days to rotate around carrier...arrived with full charge
still present. Drove home fine...No issues.

EXCEPT:

Can't figure out how to get interior lights on and keyless entry does not work.
All other interior functions/radio/climate/etc. everything works fine. First 2 day impression PHENOMENAL CAR....

Way Better than my Leaf...Range is noticeably different. I think Toyota hit the sweet spot on range...I have to watch
the range on Nissan. On Rav 4 EV....don't really have to think about it.

I used Golden Key Express for shipping from Mossy Toyota in San Diego...car was nearly spotless (little dirt on back) when
they delivered...

Any ideas on the interior lights..Is there some switch I don't know about? Or Can dealer disable these as an option?
How to re-enable? Can any Toyota do this? :?

Thanks for any help...

So far LOVE THE CAR...If you're thinking of shipping out East....at least as far as the shipping....doesn't appear to be
a problem... lowest temps. were only about 25 deg. F. at night at some points...No issues with 12 V battery for car being
unplugged 8 days.

Welcome aboard! I'm not sure of your exact problem, but spend an hour reading through the two owner's manuals. They may answer your questions specific to your needs. If not, then give us more information about the problem and this list will try to fix it.

My car had this exact problem. There is a pin somewhere that needs to be pulled out to enable those features. The factory puts that pin in, so the battery doesn't drain while sitting for months on dealer lots. The dealer is supposed to pull it out when the car sells.

I don't think it's in the manual, I took it back to the dealer to have it done. I suggest you call your dealer and ask either how you can do it yourself, or hook you up with some local dealer who can do it.

Without checking the owner's manual, or if not related to Scooter's post above, I believe there are only three other possible switches you can check for interior lighting. Actually, four if you count the little light and dedicated switch for it on the inside of the rear door.

1. Built in to the rear center of the roof is a switch for interior lights. It can be set to "on/off/door".

2. To the far left of the driver's seat is a rotary switch built in to the lower dash panel. It is a selectable brightness switch, which controls the i/p and center console. It adjusts up or down thru several variable brightness positions. There is a detent position all the way to up position. When you hear a "click" into the detent, lighting will be "fixed" to a maximum brightness (which I believe defeats the auto dimming enabled setting in the center console's setup mode).

3. Above your head between driver and passenger seats is another two position switch (on or off). It only turns on the lights where this switch is located, or you can push each of these light covers to manually turn them on or off regardless of the switch position.

The switch you are probably looking for is most likely described above in #1.

Hope this helps. :mrgreen:

scooter said:
My car had this exact problem. There is a pin somewhere that needs to be pulled out to enable those features. The factory puts that pin in, so the battery doesn't drain while sitting for months on dealer lots. The dealer is supposed to pull it out when the car sells.

I don't think it's in the manual, I took it back to the dealer to have it done. I suggest you call your dealer and ask either how you can do it yourself, or hook you up with some local dealer who can do it.
Interesting about the pins. I can't speak to the problem since I have no Rav4 EV, but the way the Toyota SKS works vs. Intelligent Key on Nissan is slightly different. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=240772#p240772.

(I only know this since I have plenty of experience w/my mom's 07 Altima Hybrid vs. my 06 Prius.)

Back