Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: JLong(tm) J1772 extension cord
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:11 am 

I tested everything out with a voltmeter today - I didn't think of this before because I thought an oscilloscope was needed to "see" the pilot, but I guess not. The pilot voltage to ground was +11.28V, which is certainly low (I believe the spec calls for 12V +/- 0.4V). The voltage was the same whether measured on the Leaf EVSE directly or on the JLong attached downstream. For comparison, I measured the pilot voltage on my openEVSE and it was +12.23V (and charging from it through the JLong works fine).

The same situation occurred at home as at Palm Springs: The Rav would charge fine from the Leaf EVSE directly, but not when the JLong was attached in between, although it did know it was plugged in. I also tried the Leaf EVSE + JLong on my Leaf and it had no problem charging (no surprise as the Rav's charger is known to be "fussier").

So my theory is that the 11.28V, while out of spec, is enough to let the Rav charge, but when the JLong is introduced the additional resistance from the extra wire (which I measured at <1 ohm) causes to voltage to drop just enough to make it not work.

Anyway, it looks like the next step is probably to bug the EVSEupgrade guys about it...

Post subject: Re: JLong(tm) J1772 extension cord
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:30 pm 

Yes, that seems like the logical conclusion.

That pilot voltage is way out of spec.