Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who is currently waiting for a drive unit replacement?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:38 am 

tridub wrote:
I got a new DU in my 2012 a couple of weeks ago, and I'm very pleased with the results. The car is now as quiet as a church mouse pissing on carpet in a vacuum! It makes my 2014 seem a little loud by comparison.
Please give a 90 day report.
My DU replacement was good but still a bit of a disappointment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:20 pm 

I must have gotten lucky with our 2012 RAV4. We have almost 60k on the original motor and other than a few trips to the dealer for recalls we have spent almost nothing on maintenance. I did have to replace the 12v battery, but thats it. Motor has got a bit of a Jetsons car sound thing going on but its certainly not loud. I actually think it sounds kinda cool.

The RAV4 has been our go to family car and its been driven relatively hard since my wife seems to think she's Parnelli Jones... dont tell her I said that, but its true. Anytime we go anywhere together, I insist on driving to keep my blood pressure down. Not only that but its been driven in all sorts of extreme weather here in CO.

Either way, we did get the extended warranty, so we are good till something like 2021. Very, VERY happy with the car so far. I just hope I never have to ship it out to CA to get any major work done, like DU replacement, but it almost sounds like that may be inevitable. I will keep my fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:49 am 

Well, this is a little unsettling.

The part number on my drive unit is G1100-0R011.

Does the -F on this Tesla part number indicate this is a revision F drive unit? At 27k miles I imagine mine is in the window for failure.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:21 pm 

Update. I waited about 1 month for the replacement DU and brought it in to the service department on Monday. Picked up a silent RAV4 on Tuesday but noticed that the range estimate dropped from 120 miles with AC off to 89 miles with AC on ECO HI whereas before the replacement and reseting it typically goes down about 5 miles when turning on the AC. I am waiting to hear back from the service department. I wonder if anyone else has seen this behavior and if it is something that needs to be fixed. I am hoping it will re-calibrate itself over time but a 30 mile drop is a big change.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:40 pm 

agleung wrote:
... I wonder if anyone else has seen this behavior and if it is something that needs to be fixed. I am hoping it will re-calibrate itself over time but a 30 mile drop is a big change.

Please post Guess-O-Meter (GOM) questions to the appropriate thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=825

If you want to reset the GOM:

1) turn the RAV4 off. Do NOT leave the fob in the car (you could accidentally lock yourself out)
2) make sure it's not plugged in
3) disconnect the 12 volt battery
4) leave the battery disconnected overnight

When you reconnect the 12 volt battery the next morning:

5) you should see a spark when you reconnect the 12 volt battery. If not, then it was not fully disconnected or the car was left on, or was charging
6) you will hear the brake booster power up
7) you will see "LO" and a full energy gauge (all 16 fuel bars illuminated). This tells you the the GOM was reset
8) with the key fob present, press the ON button while also pressing the brake pedal
9) Wait for the navigation to spin up (about 20 seconds)
10) press the ON button a second time, while also pressing the brake pedal

Your GOM is reset. There's absolutely nothing additional that the dealer can do except placate you.

You will need to reset several things, the most important for many people being the charge timer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:48 am 

Just got a DU replacement due to motor whine at 88k miles covered by extended warranty.
This is my second replacement. The first was at 40k miles about two years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:33 pm 

locman wrote:
Just got a DU replacement due to motor whine at 88k miles covered by extended warranty.
This is my second replacement. The first was at 40k miles about two years ago.

I'm right behind you... 87,000 miles, waiting for motor 2.

First one went at 11,000 miles.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:48 am 

I'm still waiting on my first replacement. Currently at 95k miles. Got approved around 85k miles. Been gradually getting louder since 40k miles.

Reciever Hitch, CURT Class III Round Tube
Cargo Liner
Modified 120VAC EVSE to also accept 240VAC
Hood struts- Sokie Tech
JdeMO Level 3 Charging port
12.6kW PV system
VIN 1396
Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:08 pm 

This may be a good thread to post my experience in having our drive unit replaced on our 2014 Rav4 EV at 25K.

I can remember the exact day when our drive unit began making noise. It progressively got louder--a whine that could be heard at between 14-22 mph, which would then dissipate or be drowned out by road noise as the speed increased.

We reported it at our 20K service and had it added "to the record." We were told at that time that the whine was "within specifications."

At 25K, (May 2017) with the whine having grown louder, the service dept. at Tustin Toyota agreed that there was an issue and agreed to contact Toyota.

I was surprised to receive a phone call at 9:30 PM about two weeks later, from our very pleased service advisor, who said that our new drive unit had come in. Neither he nor I had expected to have a replacement unit sent out so quickly. The service advisor mentioned that the parts mgr. wanted to get the unit installed quickly, as other dealerships were clamoring to get their hands on it.

Even though the dealership had not performed a drive unit replacement previously, everything went smoothly. We were provided with a loaner car since the repairs took the full day and then some. The whine is completely gone now. It is so nice to have our quiet Rav4 EV back again.

Compared to the many negative experiences and long waits that I had read about on this forum, my wife and I were lucky to have timed things just right--maybe Toyota had just taken possession of a supply of drive units...who knows?

On another note, as mentioned in another post, it does seem like our Guess-O-Meter (GOM) reads significantly lower since the drive unit replacement. I was interested to see Tony's suggested GOM reset instructions and may have to take that step in time.

27K, Still on Lease

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:54 am 

califteacher wrote:
This may be a good thread to post my experience in having our drive unit replaced on our 2014 Rav4 EV at 25K.

I can remember the exact day when our drive unit began making noise. It progressively got louder--a whine that could be heard at between 14-22 mph, which would then dissipate or be drowned out by road noise as the speed increased.

We reported it at our 20K service and had it added "to the record." We were told at that time that the whine was "within specifications."

At 25K, (May 2017) with the whine having grown louder, the service dept. at Tustin Toyota agreed that there was an issue and agreed to contact Toyota.

I was surprised to receive a phone call at 9:30 PM about two weeks later, from our very pleased service advisor, who said that our new drive unit had come in. Neither he nor I had expected to have a replacement unit sent out so quickly. The service advisor mentioned that the parts mgr. wanted to get the unit installed quickly, as other dealerships were clamoring to get their hands on it.

Even though the dealership had not performed a drive unit replacement previously, everything went smoothly. We were provided with a loaner car since the repairs took the full day and then some. The whine is completely gone now. It is so nice to have our quiet Rav4 EV back again.

Compared to the many negative experiences and long waits that I had read about on this forum, my wife and I were lucky to have timed things just right--maybe Toyota had just taken possession of a supply of drive units...who knows?

On another note, as mentioned in another post, it does seem like our Guess-O-Meter (GOM) reads significantly lower since the drive unit replacement. I was interested to see Tony's suggested GOM reset instructions and may have to take that step in time.

I would be interested to know if you got a revision-Q drive unit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next