Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 94  Next
 Post subject: Re: CHAdeMO for Rav4 EV "JdeMO" by Quick Charge Power
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:15 am 

Tony for sure needs his ChadeMO adapter given how much he travels. In my case while my eGolf came with CCS it is still unused. L2 fills my need and it will in the foreseeable future, I purchased my eGolf on 9/20/17 and I now have just over 4K miles. I do not drive that much.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:53 pm 

It was 102 degrees in Vacaville Ca yesterday and the fastest I could get my RAV4 to charge via the JdeMO was 9.6 kWh on a Nissan unit and around 20 kWh on an ABB Unit. It only charged 25% per half hour session over 2 hours. I used the Nissan unit for 30 minutes and then switched to an ABB unit for an hour and a half hoping that would help speed things up to normal. I unplugged the 12 volt battery 2x to see if that made a difference and it didnt help reset anything to speed up charging either. The Rav 4 has no battery thermal readout so I couldn't see if there was an issue with my battery temp being critical. Considering that I typically fully charge at an ABB in 45 minutes (new unit) to one hour (older units), this was a tough experience. The ABB was rated 500v 50 kWh peak output.

I would have also slowed down to 55mph on the road trip had I predicted I wouldn't be able to charge fast vs driving 75 - 80mph like I did.

Anyone else have this happen to them or have a guess about the scenario and how to optimize driving in heat to avoid it? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:35 pm 

Most likely your battery was too hot. All you can do is make sure the Climate control is in Normal mode so that the A/C will run and cool the battery. If you put it in ECO LO or ECO HI, it will not cool the battery.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:46 pm 

> "miimura" wrote:
> "Most likely your battery was too hot. All you can do is make sure the Climate control is in Normal mode so that the A/C will run and cool the battery. If you > put it in ECO LO or ECO HI, it will not cool the battery."

I am pretty sure the BMS (battery management system) would always turn on the AC for the battery when temp gets too hot.
I think eco lo/hi and "normal" just give different settings/temperature range when to start cool/heat the battery pack.

In hot weather, the discharge of the batteries seems to be a serious thermal load on the battery, that is for sure.
Drive slower, especially when you want to do a QC session directly after your stop.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:46 am 

Thanks guys, hard lesson learned. I'll drive slower in the heat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:17 pm 

> I am pretty sure the BMS (battery management system) would always turn on the AC for the battery when temp gets too hot.
> I think eco lo/hi and "normal" just give different settings/temperature range when to start cool/heat the battery pack.
>
> In hot weather, the discharge of the batteries seems to be a serious thermal load on the battery, that is for sure.
> Drive slower, especially when you want to do a QC session directly after your stop.

Tony should weigh in on this, but I'm pretty sure he said this: The battery will not be actively cooled by the A/C system unless it's in Normal mode. It will just use the radiator to cool the battery in the ECO modes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:36 am 

[quote="miimura"]> I am pretty sure the BMS (battery management system) would always turn on the AC for the battery when temp gets too hot.
> I think eco lo/hi and "normal" just give different settings/temperature range when to start cool/heat the battery pack.
>
> In hot weather, the discharge of the batteries seems to be a serious thermal load on the battery, that is for sure.
> Drive slower, especially when you want to do a QC session directly after your stop.

Tony should weigh in on this, but I'm pretty sure he said this: The battery will not be actively cooled by the A/C system unless it's in Normal mode. It will just use the radiator to cool the battery in the ECO modes.[/quote]

Yes, in warm weather, leave the cabin climate control in "AUTO - NORMAL".

"ECO LO" and "ECO HI" save energy by allowing the battery to get hotter. You don't want it to get hotter!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:26 am 

Use the AC in normal mode and drive slower in a heat wave when I plan to fast charge in route. Got it!
I'll also turn the AC on while charging.

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:10 pm 

I was originally under the impression that the A/C should be set to Normal mode when charging using the JDEMO to increase the battery cooling. However in this thread Tony mentions the A/C should be set to the Normal mode when driving in warm weather as well. At what temperature should the A/C be set to the Normal mode? I usually just leave the mode in ECO HI except when charging so a clarification would be nice. Where I live it usually doesn't get above the high 80's unless I go to northern SLO county where it routinely hits the triple digits.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:24 pm 

[quote="swogee"]I was originally under the impression that the A/C should be set to Normal mode when charging using the JDEMO to increase the battery cooling. However in this thread Tony mentions the A/C should be set to the Normal mode when driving in warm weather as well. At what temperature should the A/C be set to the Normal mode? I usually just leave the mode in ECO HI except when charging so a clarification would be nice. Where I live it usually doesn't get above the high 80's unless I go to northern SLO county where it routinely hits the triple digits.[/quote]
I second this! I had the same understanding and wasn't aware that ECO LO/HI might be detrimental to the battery in high temperatures. Is that what you're saying, Tony?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 94  Next