New Rav4 EV owner!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SINISTAR

My wife & I sold our 2013 Leaf SL, as ultimately we needed something with more range. Loved the trim and attention to detail on the Leaf, but 70ish range wasn't cutting it for us.

We landed a lease-returned 2013 Rav4 EV with 23k miles on it. It has an enhanced lighting package and wheels, but otherwise the same in all respects. Took it to our local Toyota dealer for the full inspection, which it passed with no trouble. Then purchased the 10yr, 125k platinum warranty on it for peace of mind.

Whew!

Have to perform 2 recalls (seatbelts and one other thing), however.

So far we are loving the extra range: it gets ~100/charge not in extended mode. With extended it's about 128 (only did this once, to check the upper end).
Love the "hum" it makes while driving, too! My wife says it sounds like a spaceship. :lol:

SINISTAR said:
My wife & I sold our 2013 Leaf SL, as ultimately we needed something with more range. Loved the trim and attention to detail on the Leaf, but 70ish range wasn't cutting it for us.

We landed a lease-returned 2013 Rav4 EV with 23k miles on it. It has an enhanced lighting package and wheels, but otherwise the same in all respects. Took it to our local Toyota dealer for the full inspection, which it passed with no trouble. Then purchased the 10yr, 125k platinum warranty on it for peace of mind.

Whew!

Have to perform 2 recalls (seatbelts and one other thing), however.

So far we are loving the extra range: it gets ~100/charge not in extended mode. With extended it's about 128 (only did this once, to check the upper end).
Love the "hum" it makes while driving, too! My wife says it sounds like a spaceship. :lol:

I'm interested to know which dealership sold you the warranty. Is your warranty the "new car" warranty, or the "used car" warranty. I just got my 2013 with 25K on it. Love the car, but want the platinum service agreement.

ddoxey said:
I'm interested to know which dealership sold you the warranty. Is your warranty the "new car" warranty, or the "used car" warranty. I just got my 2013 with 25K on it. Love the car, but want the platinum service agreement.

Toyota Autonation in Irvine, CA

It's a Toyota Platinum $0 deductible 10yr/125k.

If the vehicle was initially put into service more than 36 months ago, it will be cancelled by Toyota Financial and you will receive a refund.

miimura said:
If the vehicle was initially put into service more than 36 months ago, it will be cancelled by Toyota Financial and you will receive a refund.

What?? Why is that?
Do tell

SINISTAR said:
miimura said:

What?? Why is that?
Do tell
The terms of the New Car Platinum Warranty is that the car still has to be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. That factory warranty expires 3 years and 36,000 miles from first sale, whichever comes first. If the dealer mistakenly sold it to you on a car that's not eligible, Toyota Financial will cancel it and order the dealer to refund your money.

Under the circumstances, you should insist on a Used Car warranty to replace it instead of taking the refund. Normally, the Used Car 5yr/60k plan (time and mileage measured from used sale) is more expensive than the 8yr/100k New Car plan. I don't know the comparative cost of the 10/125k.

miimura said:
SINISTAR said:
miimura said:

What?? Why is that?
Do tell
The terms of the New Car Platinum Warranty is that the car still has to be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. That factory warranty expires 3 years and 36,000 miles from first sale, whichever comes first. If the dealer mistakenly sold it to you on a car that's not eligible, Toyota Financial will cancel it and order the dealer to refund your money.

Under the circumstances, you should insist on a Used Car warranty to replace it instead of taking the refund. Normally, the Used Car 5yr/60k plan (time and mileage measured from used sale) is more expensive than the 8yr/100k New Car plan. I don't know the comparative cost of the 10/125k.
The terms of the new/used service warranty plans are pretty clear. As discussed here: http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1124
That's why I'm curious about anyone claiming to getting access to a service warranty outside of those terms. If there's a loophole or room for negotiation, I'd like to know.

miimura said:
SINISTAR said:
miimura said:

What?? Why is that?
Do tell

Wow... ok thanks for this information.
They haven't refunded yet, so I'll wait and see what happens.

SINISTAR said:
miimura said:

Wow... ok thanks for this information.
They haven't refunded yet, so I'll wait and see what happens.
Did you get the booklet from Toyota Financial yet? If they actually issue the booklet, then you should be good because you have it in writing.

miimura said:

I just got my Platinum 8y/125k service agreement yesterday. First I called Toyota customer service and asked them if I was out of luck. The rep suggested that I should talk to the service manager at my local Toyota dealer. So I did. The service manager was happy to take my money and sell me the plan. He looked up my VIN in his system, reviewed the history, and made the call. The evidence suggests to me that Toyota corporate leaves the final decision in the hands of the individual dealerships.

miimura said:
Did you get the booklet from Toyota Financial yet? If they actually issue the booklet, then you should be good because you have it in writing.

I haven't received the booklet yet. I paid about 6 days ago, so I'm guessing that I should receive it soon enough. Either that or notice of a refund.

SINISTAR said:
miimura said:

I haven't received the booklet yet. I paid about 6 days ago, so I'm guessing that I should receive it soon enough. Either that or notice of a refund.

Still no booklet or refund yet.
Toyota is doing 2 of the recall services on the car this coming Monday.

SINISTAR said:
Still no booklet or refund yet.
Toyota is doing 2 of the recall services on the car this coming Monday.

Howdy - following up on this, how did you come out? Did you get to keep the warranty or did you need to go another way?

miimura said:

So this means that any lease returns at the 3 year mark will never qualify for a platinum extended warranty since the car has been in service for 3 years during the lease thus bumper to bumper is up?

If true then you can only get an ext warranty platinum on cars that were bought out from the dealer instead of leased?

cashcow said:
miimura said:

So this means that any lease returns at the 3 year mark will never qualify for a platinum extended warranty since the car has been in service for 3 years during the lease thus bumper to bumper is up?

If true then you can only get an ext warranty platinum on cars that were bought out from the dealer instead of leased?
It is very unlikely that you will find a lease return car these days that still has any factory bumper to bumper warranty left. Therefore, your only choice is a Toyota Used Car Platinum Service Agreement. Not all dealers will sell this to you if you didn't buy the car from them. Some will. I would find a dealer to sell you the warranty before buying a RAV4 EV these days.

Speaking of new RAV4 EV owners, we had 2 show up at NW SolarFest on Saturday in Shoreline, WA. One had bought just that morning, the other 1 week earlier. It was great to meet them both after connecting here on the forum and the Fb page.

I'm one of the guys that got a rav4 EV recently.
I've been looking for an extended warranty (in the seattle area)

Toyota of Kirkland is offering me $2,225 for 5yr/60K + tax + inspection.
They are not offering the new car one since they say it's not within bumper-bumper anymore.

Toyota of Seattle said they only sell those at the time you buy the car... which is weird.

How much did people pay for recently for the warranty?

KurtManz said:
I'm one of the guys that got a rav4 EV recently.
I've been looking for an extended warranty (in the seattle area)

Toyota of Kirkland is offering me $2,225 for 5yr/60K + tax + inspection.
They are not offering the new car one since they say it's not within bumper-bumper anymore.

Toyota of Seattle said they only sell those at the time you buy the car... which is weird.

How much did people pay for recently for the warranty?
Most of the discussion in the thread linked by Tony is about the New Car warranty. I think Toyota Kirkland's price is fair. I would just get that because you will probably have to make a lot more phone calls to beat it - and you will have to go there for the inspection.

Hey Kurt - thanks for digging in and getting some pricing from Toyota of Kirkland! Sorry I missed you at SolarFest - just did a quick check-in to meet Larry and thank him for all his guidance and then went back to trying to figure out Entune :O

Back