Traction Battery Coolant System Leak

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleRav4

I took my Rav4 EV in for its 40000 mile service including coolant replacement. After the usual discussion about how this is an EV, Kirkland, WA decided they could do it. They reported that they replaced the motor coolant but could not replace the Traction Battery coolant because there was a leak in that system. They did say they would work with Toyota Corporate to schedule an EV technician to fix the leak and I could drive it in the meantime.
The next day I heard a dragging sound from beneath the car. Turns out all the clips that hold the plastic "Air Dam", also known as a belly pan, were missing and it was dragging on the ground, held only by screws across the front. My shoestring worked nicely to tie it up.
After a call to service, they apologized and offered to fix it. I asked that they schedule the EV Technician with corporate and it can be all done at once.

That was 2 weeks ago. Yes, I also emailed Thorn. So far no response from anybody.

Has anybody had any luck reaching Thorn lately?

Howdy - I haven't reached out to Thorn yet, but I know there are at least two of us (me and KurtManz) that would love to piggy back on a trip from a the corporate EV guy to Kirkland. Diagnosis and some reprogramming for the both of us - easy stuff. Any chance you could respond to this thread when there's a time set up so we can see if we can leverage the guy's time? Or does it make more sense for more of us to reach out to Thorn to encourage a visit?

I would happily include you guys in any info I get.
But at this point I cannot seem to get any response so maybe if enough of us try to contact Thorn, somebody will get a response.
Please reach out to Thorn and Toyota's EV service.

I tried reaching out over email but have gotten no response. I have a phone number I can pm you if you want to give that a try.

Thorn has been relocated to Texas (from the former Toyota USA headquarters in Torrance, California).

I called a few weeks ago, and specifically asked for him. I did get the guy sitting right next to him.

It seems Toyota has given up on having a singular point person for our car.

TonyWilliams said:
Thorn has been relocated to Texas (from the former Toyota USA headquarters in Torrance, California).

I called a few weeks ago, and specifically asked for him. I did get the guy sitting right next to him.

Interesting. I called Toyota USA on Saturday Aug 5 to ask why they are denying a warranty claim on my charger, and the call center person told me that Thorn would call me about it on Monday. I now give that an even lower chance of happening.

tgreene said:
TonyWilliams said:

Interesting. I called Toyota USA on Saturday Aug 5 to ask why they are denying a warranty claim on my charger, and the call center person told me that Thorn would call me about it on Monday. I now give that an even lower chance of happening.

When I called, trying to get ahold of Thorn, they didn't know who I was talking about. After being transferred to another department, I had a long conversation with an agent who explained that case handlers are assigned by region, and that Thorn would not be the person to handle a case in Southern California.

Well, that's what I was told. But it wouldn't be the first time someone on the phone said something wrong.

On Friday, Aug 5, "Jeff" said he work work my case, gave me a case number and said he would get back to me in 2 business days. Now it is Wed morning with no call, so I have called back.
After a long hold I was told that Jeff would call me back. We will see.

To their credit, I did get a voicemail late yesterday.
The bad news is they said they would not service the vehicle out of state.
I am calling back now for further information.
Early argument by the Service Rep is that the do not do service outside California.
But now they are "Checking".

After an interesting discussion about how Toyota only services the RAV4EV in California, and my pointing out that my traction motor was replaced in 2015 in WA, Jeff called Toyota of Kirkland.
Funny, after a long hold Jeff came back online and said while he didn't know if the traction motor had anything to do with the Electric Vehicle, requiring an EV Technician ....
I did point out that the electric drive motor was a key part of the electric vehicle. :)
He said he is working with Toyota of Kirkland to "see what they can do".
But reminded me that "the car was only sold in California and they don't service it outside the state".

Update
Today Adam, Toyota of Kirkland, called to so he was in contact with Toyota corporate and the EV Tech needs pictures of the problem so he can attempt to diagnose and be ready with a repair. He "only needs the car for 30 minutes to take pictures".
No problem except it is several hours in traffic for me to get to Kirkland so I offered to take the pictures myself.
Can anyone diagnose this "leak"? It looks more like ATF than coolant but I did not check if it is oily.

Sorry, I will have to work on how to post the image.

Good news
I received an email from the Kirkland service writer saying the EV technician also believes the problem is leaking seals, based on my pictures, and has ordered them. When they arrive in a "few days" Kirkland will schedule an appointment.
I did respond with a reminder that I also still need one of the coolants changed.

Funny you should ask.

First, I have another issue to report. Just an hour ago I was driving on the Freeway and the plastic cover on the inside of the left wheelwell came loose, whipped around the tire, beat up the side of the car, and flew off. It appears the incident also put a hole in the tire, since it was leaking and went flat. This is the plastic shroud that encloses the power cables that connect to the charge port. The power cables do not appear damaged.

I also received an email that the seals have arrived and the EV Tech will be in town on Wed.
So hopefully all will be repaired on Wed.

And if you are in Seattle and need some EV Tech work done, you might want to contact Adam Powell at ToK.

SeattleRav4 said:
This is the plastic shroud that encloses the power cables that connect to the charge port.
That stinks of somebody not putting it back together correctly. And this, after they left your belly pan clips off earlier. Not great feedback for Toyota of Kirkland.

SeattleRav4 said:
And if you are in Seattle and need some EV Tech work done, you might want to contact Adam Powell at ToK.
I appreciate that info. I suspect at some point I'm going to get another DU, for noise (it's already fairly noisy at 65 and lightly loaded; noise diminishes on or off the accelerator).

Back