Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How necessary is a warranty? (Anyone out there without one)?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:41 am 

I'm looking at two options, both have around 24k miles, but one is 2013 the other 2014 and I need to buy it by tomorrow to be eligible for the new car warranty. With warranty, the 2014 will be $5000. more expensive.... I'm just wondering, if the heater which is the most expensive fix costs 3500... and isn't guaranteed to go bad anyway, how necessary is this warranty. I've read all the posts about the pronlems, the top 10 lists etc, my question is, how many of these cars are there out there that have had NO problem? Oh also, just wondering here, what's the most mileage anyone has gotten out of one of these so far, with or without problems.

Thanks for taking time to read and reply

Post subject: Re: How necessary is a warranty? (Anyone out there without o
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:49 am 

I only paid $1,255 for a 8yr/100k mi Platinum warranty. So, at that price, when I'm already paying on the new car, it's a no brainer because it cost me less than any one of the significant EV specific repairs.

Basically, it comes down to this: Are you a gambling man, or do you like your peace of mind? I personally prefer predictable expenses.

The other comparison you should be making is the total cost of the 2013 with a Used Car Platinum Warranty.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:19 am 

I decided to go without the extended warranty. Drivetrain and related computers are still covered 60 months 60,000 miles. Battery even longer against defects (not capacity).
Heater is the big unknown. I figure the price of the warranty will offset the first repair and I do not hear much with multiple failures. Or I live with the seat heaters.
Worst case it will get impounded on the side of the road and I will walk down and get a Bolt. Although I am loathe to drive a GM and Bolt is small.

Last edited by smkettner on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:56 am 

miimura wrote:
I only paid $1,255 for a 8yr/100k mi Platinum warranty. So, at that price, when I'm already paying on the new car, it's a no brainer because it cost me less than any one of the significant EV specific repairs.

Basically, it comes down to this: Are you a gambling man, or do you like your peace of mind? I personally prefer predictable expenses.

The other comparison you should be making is the total cost of the 2013 with a Used Car Platinum Warranty.

Thanks - I;ve been trying to find out - how/ where do I get a platinum used car warranty? Is it possible to get one from Toyota even if I purchase the vehicle from a non-toyota dealer?

I hear you. Thing is - even if I lose the gamble (heater goes on me) the cost will be less than what I pay to protect against it - so lose the gamble and I still win the game! That is assuming that only this issue happens and that the cost to repair does not increase... i guess that's a little more of a gamble...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:59 am 

smkettner wrote:
I decided to go without the extended warranty. Drivetrain and related computers are still covered 6/60. Battery even longer against defects (not capacity).
Heater is the big unknown. I figure the price of the warranty will offset the first repair and I do not hear much with multiple failures. Or I live with the seat heaters.
Worst case it will get impounded on the side of the road and I will walk down and get a Bolt. Although I am loathe to drive a GM and Bolt is small.

THanks!! Oh so computer stuff is covered to 6/60 too! that's pretty good.... It seems the main thing is just the heater, and if that is simply to blow hot air - and we live in California AND It has working seat heaters... I think I can survive...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:50 pm 

The Powertrain Warranty is not 6 years, it's 5 years (60 months). Yes, the Gateway ECU is considered part of the Powertrain for warranty purposes.

Some people have been able to purchase the Used Car Platinum warranty for a vehicle they purchased separately. However, if you read the Toyota Financial web site, it says it needs to be purchased with a vehicle from a Toyota dealer at the same time. So, that is the only guaranteed way.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:27 pm 

I'm in the Seattle area, and I just purchased a 2014 from Paramount Motors NW, with 49k miles. PNW has been bringing a lot of them up from California. PNW's photo:

PNW's Robert & I were discussing warranty and Toyota. He said that he has had to have two RAV4 EV drive units replaced (I asked: both for whining) and he said having them replaced at Toyota of Seattle worked well for him; the travelling tech. has to approve the replacement, and he comes around our area only so often, so the first unit took a month to get replaced; the second, less than two weeks. ToS were able to perform the warranty work -- no shipping the vehicle anywhere else :)

I intend to burn through the last 10k of my powertrain warranty fast. I'm very interested in purchasing an extended warranty. Robert told me that he overheard a conversation that someone was able to purchase an ext. warr. at Toyota of Kirkland. ToK does not enjoy a stellar reputation.

I'm looking for feedback on both of these dealers WRT obtaining service and extended warranty.

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A
1999 E300 on B100, Tourmaline Green
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:01 am 

I got a rav4ev from Paramount in seattle a month ago.
It took me about 2 weeks to get Toyota of Kirkland to sell me a used warranty ($2,250 +$130 inspection). it's the 5year/60K one.

Initially they steer you towards the Obrien warranty. The owner of all the Obrien dealers has created and offers his own warranty. Cheaper than the manufacturer's and they own the dealers and service. In most cases it's probably a good deal and they make more money. In *this* case however it's not a good idea.

After I talked to 3 different people in finance and physically went to the dealer 3 times I was able to make my way to the finance director. I convinced her to come with me to talk with the service director who did know about the EV vehicles.

After that they agreed to call Toshiba and "get an exception" to sell me a used car warranty (After the inspection).
A few days later they did call me that the paperwork was ready.
When I went to sign only my name, date and miles of expiration were wrong on the contract.
so after we fixed that... I finally paid for the warranty.

That was a week ago, I have not received the booklet from Toyota yet, but when I do I will report back.

Last edited by KurtManz on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:50 am 

That's exactly the feedback I am looking for, Thanks!

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A
1999 E300 on B100, Tourmaline Green
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:02 pm 

The backup camera died on my 2014, and my local (Georgia) Toyota dealer replaced it for $750! I'm glad I had the 10-year/100,000-mile Platinum extended warranty, which only cost me $1360 from Toyota of Greenfield, MA. That one repair covered half of the warranty cost. I wish I could get a decent price to cover my 2012 too.

So, bottom line: I am a believer in extended warranty coverage for the RAV4 EV, or maybe any RAV. I didn't even have an expensive EV part fail yet, and the warranty has already paid for half of its cost.

Note: If I had been out of warranty on my 2014, I guess I could have gone junkyard spelunking to find a cheaper replacement camera. Has anyone done this already?

• 2001 Cinnamon Cadillac DTS - With Night Vision!