About to buy a a certified 2014 from dealer

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeLJ

Hi all,

I've been excited to shop and learn, and I have identified a 2014 with 31k miles one month outside the 36 months. It's at a Toyota dealer and they are offering it as a certified pre owned with a 7/100k from time if original purchase.

1 Should I also buy a Toyota Platinum used VSA?

2. I have read Tony Williams's list of things to check before buying: how do I confirm
the Firmware update? Also, will the dealer have access to any repairs done at other dealers?

3. After reading many posts I'm now pretty scared about buying one. The threads about turning off while driving in particular worry me, as do the number of repairs with car out of service for a very long time. Are my fears realistic? I'm having second thoughts about swapping my beloved 2014!Mustang GT for a RAV4 EV.

Thanks!

Hello,

I'll try and offer a counter response: I think these forums tend to focus on the problem cars which there are always some number of and if you've run into problems you eventually end up on these user forums looking for answers, which is exactly the primary purpose of these forums. That said I troll here a bit and own a 2011 Rav vin number ending in 1111, guess thats means its "numero uno" ???

Anyways I've had exactly 0 problems in 55k miles now, my degradation by tony test is a bit less than 5% i hardly notice it actually. The car is everything I expected from it having come up from a Leaf this car is "perfect" I wouldn't need any bigger battery as I mostly commute with occasional trips to desert and mountains which are easily within the cars safe 150 mile range. I added the receiver hitch and use it to tow small boat trailer and bike rack. Car is big and useful yet easy to park and garage. It handles the car pool lane with ease which cannot be said for the Leaf. I'm constantly amazed to be cruising at CA carpool lane speeds and still have the eco light on, go on freeway with Leaf and watch your electrons disappear quickly!

Well knock on wood no problems so far original everything including motor and hopefully many more miles to go!!!!

IMHO this was one of the best electric cars ever made and competes well or better with what been coming out since, I see absolutely no reason to replace the car and have no worries about its dependability as by now any lemon issues would have already surfaced. Would absolutely and often do recommend the RAV to anyone as they are a screaming good deal for what they sell for now!!! Cannot really see them going much lower but would not be surprised or really car as I plan to get a lot of miles out of mine.

Steve
2012 Rav4 EV white
2011 Nissan Leaf

If it is certified, the dealer should be able to show you its service history including recalls and any repairs. The speed sensor recall upgraded to the latest firmware, v. 1.3.101, and reduced the likelihood of power loss while driving.

Are you in California and reasonably near a Toyota dealer with some knowledge and capability (EV tech) for servicing the vehicle? Then buying it with the 7yr /100k mi warranty will mitigate your risks as best as possible.

You may have noticed that it is a different car than you Mustang :) A lot of us love the RAV4EV and put up with its issues (mainly poor reliability) because nothing else offers its combination of EV smoothness, power, decent range, quick charge capability (must add a JdeMO), cargo capacity, and cost.

Check the heater, get the longest warranty offered. You will love the vehicle if the range suits your needs.

Back