mildew smell from ventilation system

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
miimura said:
co2112 said:
When I first purchased the Rav4 I had this issue. It was pretty strong and almost always occurred after running AC. Even turning it off and driving 5-10 minutes with just the vent open to try and prevent it. I ended up replacing the air filter (was dirty and inefficient) and used an air hose and blowing out the drain tube. I didn't have two eyes but after clearing the drain tube the issue has been resolved. I get a slight whiff every now and then but nothing compared to buying it last year.

I also run my ac in the car 24/7 in auto 70 degrees due to pack heat and quick charging.
Where did you access the drain tube?

It is located on the passenger side of the center console. You remove two plastics pieces (if I remember correctly) and disconnect the tube. I used my air compressor and a needle tip attachment and blew up top tube and down drain tube. You should be able to feel the air release from the bottom of the car.

I also used the Toyota AC Refresher Kit. Its like scubbing bubbles for AC evaporator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRy23TFpM4I I blew out the tubes. Removed the old air filter. And then used the refresher kit. I used all of the 1st can and did it three times letting it sit with the fluid in the evaporator for 10-15 minutes each time. I did it until the fluid draining was clear and no longer dirty.

I didn't use the second can as I had a similar product by Mcguires to spray and let circulate within the car.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I’m battling a nasty mildew smell and need some info: Where does the ac drain hose come out underneath the car? It seems like the condensate just dumps into the protective plastic pan beneath the motor. Is that correct? I’m worried that my Texas Toyota dealer made a mistake when changing the traction motor earlier this month...

Thanks in advance!

I’ve been looking at parts manuals to figure out where (it at all) the ac drain tube leaves the plastic cover underneath the motor, but to no avail. I’d really appreciate if someone could enlighten me as to whether and where the ac drain tub is supposed to come out of the plastic cover. Thanks y’all!

If you look in behind the front wheel on the passenger side you should see a short tube coming out of the body. There is no tube that goes out of the pan. The condensate seems to drip all over the place on the lower control arm, on the boot, in the pan, etc. There seems to be holes in the pan to drain any accumulated water.

Back