Removing low speed proximity sound

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bottom line is this,

If your vechicle has a safety feature, whether it is required by law or not, and you disable it and then you kill a pedestrian with your car, you will definitely be opening yourself up to huge amounts of liability. And you will probably lose. Best case scenerio is that your lawyer can prove that the pedestrian was drunk or for some fault of the pedestrians, walked into the road and didn't look. Maybe you will only be partially liable. But that will still cost you immensely!

Worst case scenario, jail time.

A prosecuting or plaintiffs attorney would have a field day with this!!

The car I am buying has it disabled but I will be plugging it back in. I don't like the sound either but I know too much about liability and it's not worth the risk. I have too much to lose. I also worry about the limo tint all the way around. A lawyer could easily say it hampered my vision and is the reason I ran over little Johnny as he ran into the road after a butterfly.

Food for thought before you unplug.

There are some pretty awful ideas behind some of the posts in this thread. I'd focus more on the fact that someone could be seriously injured by disabling safety features on the car, not whether they'll be able to prove fault in court. It's not worth risking someone else's safety to eliminate whatever mild annoyance you hear from the hum.

Every one is negligent sometimes, that's why accidents are usually governed by civil rather than criminal law. It's simply impossible to say that disabling safety features on your car won't allow an otherwise preventable accident to happen during one of the negligent moments we all have from time to time.

Old thread but....

DSCF3674_zpsasiuudyh.jpg

It is under the lead acid battery next to the frame rail. Grey cable last I checked. I think there is another one of these on the right side, passenger side, but I'm unsure if its for the pedestrian warning sound system. Could be the actual horn? I can't even find it but I saw it during a rav4 ev front tare down. I think this one is a low tone? is the other high tone? So... actual horn?

Rather than disable the low speed sound, is there a way to incorporate a circuit to play a different sound?

It appears that the EV world in general is fond of the Jetson's opening sound sequence, and I'm in agreement.

I'd love to have it so that when I'm operating in the range of the existing whistle that it plays Jetson's audio.

Back