Headlights on while charging?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiftdelivery

Hey all;

New owner of a used 2014 RAV4 EV. Love it so far, but something is a bit odd to me: the DRLs turn on when I connect a charger. I've searched the forum a lot for some information about this, can't find any so far. Anyone else have this issue? Is there something obvious I'm missing? Light switch is on DRL OFF position when connected. Pulling the e-Brake does nothing.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

That’s another weird one.

Is this the original 12 volt battery in the car? If so, replace it immediately.

Rav4 EV 12 volt Battery recommendations:

https://m.pepboys.com/search/?term=bosch+24f+60ah+agm

I recommend the Bosch or Exide battery with the following specs for around $150-$180:

1) AGM (not flooded acid cells like the original)

2) Group 24F size

3) 60 amp/hour rating

Here are the specific models I recommend:

Bosch S6508B S6 Flat Plate AGM

There is also a Exide battery that is identical, except for superficial color and markings, but normally more expensive.

Exide Edge FP-AGM24F Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery

If the 12V battery is OK, I wonder if the previous owner modified the car to do this. Do you see any extra wiring coming out of the charger area (under the big plastic cover under the hood)?

Thanks Tony! I believe it's the original battery - Toyota 55D23L, Group 5, 356 cranking amps, 99 minute capacity. Why replace right away? Are they faulty?

shiftdelivery said:
Thanks Tony! I believe it's the original battery - Toyota 55D23L, Group 5, 356 cranking amps, 99 minute capacity. Why replace right away? Are they faulty?

They don’t last very long

They are not proper for an EV

When they fail, they cause a LOT of issues for the RAV4 EV

Excellent, thanks for clarifying. In the meantime, I'll be asking the dealer's service department to make an effort to solve it.

Back