Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying a RAV in Canada
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:34 pm 

Hey everyone - new to the forum although I've been lurking and researching for awhile.

I live in the Vancouver area, and some of the local dealerships have imported some 2013 and 2014 Rav's to sell. I test drove one and loved it. I'm ready to make a deal, but the worry of repairs is haunting me.

I've heard that Toyota has roving technicians that would be able to deal with major problems. Does that extend in to Canada? If I have to ship the car to California for repairs, that would kind of be a deal breaker!

TIA.

Post subject: Re: Buying a RAV in Canada
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:00 pm 

It would be worth talking to a couple of the local dealers in Vancouver to see what they say.
As a minimum, you could bring it down to Seattle for service. At this point Toyota of Seattle and Toyota of Kirkland are willing to do service work on the Rav4 EVs.
As you can see from this forum, it takes some patience but it has been working out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:05 pm 

If you're already talking about "deal breakers" before even owning the RAV4 EV, I'd suggest that it's not for you.

To own this car takes a bit of perseverance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:52 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
To own this car takes a bit of perseverance.

Amen. EV = Experimental Vehicle for our cars.

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:46 am 

Hello,

I am a new member of this forum and just purchased a 2014 RAV4 EV that is now located in Alberta, Canada. Wanted to thank all the members that have contributed to this wonderful forum as it sure has helped me understand the RAV4 EV. I was able to purchase the extended warranty with days to spare thanks to the information provided on this forum. I also had to store the vehicle for over two weeks without electricity as I awaited paper work. Again I turned to this forum to find out that things would be fine by just disconnecting the 12 volt battery. It worked perfect :) . I plan to give back with a new post for other Canadians on how to modify the DRL's to turn on when in the off switch. This is mandatory in Canada. I did this myself at a total cost of zero dollars. Looking forward to being a part of this community.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:27 pm 

Hi there. Also new to this forum here. I'm from Vancouver BC. I have been shopping for a EV.

Currently I'm driving a 2007 FWD Rav4 and looking into moving to the 2014 Rav4.

So far I found 3 stocks in Vancouver area.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/ctd ... 55084.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/ctd ... 01727.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/ctd ... 48999.html

Are they priced right?

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:25 am 

snipershrimp wrote:
Hi there. Also new to this forum here. I'm from Vancouver BC. I have been shopping for a EV.

Are they priced right?

What do you guys think?

I would say that there's room for negotiation, but it appears that you get to pick your color. The only thing different between the cars is the four colors; pearl white, fleet white, blue and silver. All cars came with "optional" floor mats.

Anyhoo, if you like one, I'd probably buy any of them if they are clean. You just need to go through the list of known issues with the vehicle prior to sale.

viewtopic.php?p=20079#p20079

Prior to purchase or delivery:

1. RECALLS - check that all recalls have been done

**** Firmware 1.3.101 (US Government recall)
**** Wiper motor (all Rav4s)
**** Seat belts (all Rav4s)

2. FOBs / KEYs - make sure the both the mechanical keys work, as well as both fobs (very common problem)

3. 12 VOLT BATTERY - Change the 12 volt battery if it is the original black top Toyota one. They aren't known to last more than 3 years. If you let the 12 volt battery fail, it can cause all kinds of issues for the car. I recommend a Bosch AGM battery, Group 24F, 60 amp/hour

4. OWNERS MANUAL - you'll want this, if you aren't familiar with the car

5. CHARGING CABLE - the original is a 120 volt / 12 amp unit with a blue plug handle

6. ADJUSTMENTS TO SETTINGS
a. Adjust door unlock remote to open all doors with 1 press; only auto-lock when in drive
b. Adjust car reverse tone to single beep
c. Adjust seat belt reminder chime to only chime once

7. CABIN HEATER - turn the heater to full blast and feel heat come out. This is a $2500 - $6000 repair, which is why you want a warranty. (Frequently fails)

8. AIR CONDITIONING - turn on air conditioning and feel cold air (this rarely fails)

9. TIRES - Check tire wear (the original Yokohamas wear out at 30-40k miles)

10. BRAKES - check brake wear (rarely much wear)

11. DAMAGE - look for obvious damage BELOW the car (ran over curb and damaged battery case, etc)

12. CHARGING - plug it into a J1772 charge station and watch it charge

13. MOTOR NOISE - listen for motor noise (frequently replaced free of charge with 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty, or Platinum Extended Warranty... could be $10,000 to $15,000 otherwise)

14. CENTER INFO-TAINMENT SCREEN - make sure center navigation screen works ($4000 to replace when not in warranty)

15. BATTERY CAPACITY - Check the high voltage "traction" battery capacity viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1625

That's about it. It's not likely that MOST Toyota dealers are going to know the car very well, or even care to do so. Use your own due diligence and don't rely on others to check these things.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:51 am 

snipershrimp wrote:

Are they priced right?

What do you guys think?

Hi snipershrimp,

Just to add to Tony's list from the Canadian perspective.

1) Verify any vehicle in Canada have passed the RIV federal inspection. Should have a sticker in the driver door jam. If this has not been done, do not purchase until they have completed it.

2) You also should ask if the provincial inspection has been done. If not, this you could do but it will cost you a couple hundred.

3) You also want to check if PST has been paid when imported as Canada customs only collects the GST. PST is paid at the registry in BC.

Side notes:
I just imported one into Alberta a few weeks ago. You can get a better price ($3-6K less CDN all in) and more selection in the US if you go through the import process. It really was not that difficult as the vehicle was built in Canada. It just takes more time etc. Take a couple of those RAV's in Vancouver for a test drive. Follow the steps Tony has laid out. Make sure to ask for the history (Carfax).
Be prepared to have to go the extra mile for repairs. I have no regrets (yet) :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:08 pm 

I have a Tesla Model 3 coming and am not ready to go all electric so I am considering selling my Rav4 EV.
46,000 miles in good shape.
Maybe we should talk?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:33 pm 

SeattleRav4 wrote:
I have a Tesla Model 3 coming and am not ready to go all electric so I am considering selling my Rav4 EV.
46,000 miles in good shape.
Maybe we should talk?
What is the asking price?