Understanding PG&E E9A Electric Vehicle Electric Rates

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done another analysis of PG&E EV rates using my parents' SmartMeter data as a sample. They live in a detached single story townhouse - 2BR 2BA ~1700sf. This is what I consider to be a small home and their average electric usage is about 425kWh/month with only December and January over 500kWh. The focus of the analysis was to determine the incremental cost to add EV charging to this sample home. Here is the summary:

Townhouse_PGE_Analysis.jpg

The details can be found in a PDF here. That PDF contains the actual usage and the projected usage with EV charging calculated on E-1, E-6, E-9A, EV month by month.

I thought it was noteworthy that even this relatively small home came out lower with charging on Schedule EV than on E-9A, but it was close at only $67.43 less for the year. I plan to do another larger home that does not have solar for comparison. I expect that the incremental EV charging cost will go down considerably in that case due to the already high bills on E-1.

One more thing I should point out - the incremental cost to add EV charging to the sample home above is an interesting figure. The reason is that the calculation is based on whole home single meter billing. The base for the analysis is on a time insensitive but tiered rate plan but the EV charging puts the whole house on a time-of-use non-tiered rate plan.

So, adding EV charging and recalculating the whole bills for the whole year nets an incremental cost of 15.2 cents/kWh when the actual billed rate for the Off-Peak TOU electricity that is used for charging is less than 9.8 cents/kWh.

I have updated my rate comparison analysis for the full calendar year 2013. E-9A came out marginally cheaper than EV-A for me for the full year. Remember, I have solar, so I am able to stay in the lower tiers for most of the year and all EV charging is done Off-Peak.

Summary of Calculated Annual Energy Charges:
E-1: $1,468.85
E-6: $1,129.21
E-9A: $817.32
EV-A: $837.35

PGE_2013_Full_Comparison.jpg

I have also updated the spreadsheet to Version 1.6. This version includes the annual comparison tab shown above and an easy way to cut and paste into that table from the Bill Calculation tab. It also includes the rate increases that were effective January 1, 2014. Across the board, most rates were increased about 1.1-1.2 cents/kWh for Tiers 3-5. The only rates that I saw that decreased were the Winter Peak and Winter Part-Peak in Schedule EV, which dropped 0.2 cents and 0.1 cents/kWh respectively.

The new spreadsheet is available on Google Drive here: PGE Electric Rate Calculator_V1.6.xlsx.

Schedule E-9 also still includes this note from August 2012:
Schedule E-9 will be eliminated on the later of the date of a decision in Phase 2 of PG&E’s 2014 General Rate Case, or December 31, 2014. At that time, all Schedule E-9 customers will be migrated to an otherwise available rate schedule.
So, I will be moving to Schedule EV at that time, not E-6 as I previously speculated.

Back