Intermittent propulsion - new motor

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

So, I was driving along in my Rav the other day with everything normal as can be and came to a stop at a stop light. When the light turned I pressed the accelerator to get going and the car didn't "go". Almost immediately I got a "Check EV System" indicator and I also noticed the traction control light flicker briefly. I let off the accelerator and then pressed it again and the Rav moved forward as normal / as-it should with no issue or other unusual aspect. The Check EV light remained lit. There were no 'clunks', shifting out of gear, or anything at all associated with this event other as described.

I continued my drive to where I was going which was only 1/2 mile away at this point and parked normally. When my business was completed I returned to the car to go home, powered up, and all seemed normal with exception of the continued check EV indication.

I switched into reverse "gear" to back out.. again nothing out of the ordinary. The car switched into reverse and the annoying backup beeper sounded. I let off the brake and went to accelerate but nothing. Actually the car coasted forward slightly as I was in a slight incline.

I powered down, and then up again, and repeated the attempt.. the car backed out normally. I proceeded to drive home about 12 miles away mostly freeway traffic. No issues.

After exiting the freeway and only about a mile from the house I have to pass through four stoplights. The first two, nothing unusual. At the third, same issue car did not go when pressing accelerator but it did on the second or third attempt. Got home with no further issues.

I did the "reboot" thing by cycling the power button several times and car rebooted. Seemed normal. Made an appointment to take it to the dealer the next day.

The dealer is kind of far away at ~20 miles. When departing to the dealer all was normal. I made the whole trip with no unexpected behavior at all. However, while sitting in the dealers service lane I had another reoccurrence where it failed to accelerate when they asked me to 'pull forward'. All was ok on the second or third attempt.

I just now got a call from the dealer who says they did their diagnosis and have concluded that they need to "replace the engine". And that the new "engine" had been ordered from tesla. Upon further chat he read to me their internal notes which actually indicate that they're going to replace the motor and that this element had been ordered up from Tesla. Apparently the lead time is two and a half weeks and this is all covered under warranty.

My rav has nothing special about it other than having Tonys JDEMO unit installed (which was not a factor or mentioned by the dealer at all). This car has had no issues. It also has no special warranty - just the standard warranty.

I'd like input from the forum on a couple of things:

Has anyone has had this kind of issue before where stepping on the accelerator does nothing intermittently?

Any ideas what aspect of the motor might actually fail that could cause this?

It seems to be to be a positive thing that they're going to replace the motor; presumably this will stave off other potential motor issues such as the buzzing/whatever that plagues these cars (but hasn't on mine). Does this thinking make sense?

Are there any issues or pitfalls I should be looking out for during this replacement process?

And, finally, I am taken aback at how they determined to replace this under warranty completely on their own with literally no input from me other than a writeup of the failure. This seems unusual compared to what I read on this board where it seems extended warranties are required, lots of hassle and phone calls, and maybe even escalations to "Thorn" or other figures within Toyota. Is this unusual?

Thanks for any and all comments.

Count your blessings for having this covered under warranty and for not getting any sh*t from Toyota or the dealer for having a JdeMO installed.

You are likely covered by the 5 year / 60,000 mi powertrain warranty that comes with our cars. It is the dealer's job to assess the problem, and then Toyota USA will decide whether to authorize warranty replacement. Glad to hear that went well for you!

Can you tell us what dealer you took it to, and do they confirm that they have no problems with motor replacement in JdeMO-equipped cars? I know that some dealers do.

tgreene said:
Count your blessings for having this covered under warranty and for not getting any sh*t from Toyota or the dealer for having a JdeMO installed.

Yes, indeed. I was shocked at that and, of course, very happy.

tgreene said:
You are likely covered by the 5 year / 60,000 mi powertrain warranty that comes with our cars. It is the dealer's job to assess the problem, and then Toyota USA will decide whether to authorize warranty replacement. Glad to hear that went well for you!

Yes, thats what it is, the powertrain warranty.

tgreene said:
Can you tell us what dealer you took it to, and do they confirm that they have no problems with motor replacement in JdeMO-equipped cars? I know that some dealers do.

It went to Toyota of El Cajon. This is where i originally bought it new. There was literally no communication about JDEMO units, motors, or anything else at all. I simply dropped it off with a thorough problem description and waited a week silently as they got to it (i guess they have only one EV tech). The first call i got from them was on drop off day saying they need it for a week due to being backlogged and their one EV tech. This was a voicemail. I didnt care as I have other cars - they can have it as long as they want. Next call was one week later, exactly on time as they had indicated, and was a voice mail telling me about the “engine”, that it was ordered (from “Tesla”, apparently - he specifically said), expect two to three weeks, and so on. I called them back to just confirm I interpreted that right. Thats it.

I think they have done motor changes before. I seem to recall a service writer saying something about it on another car last year when i was in for regular service.

Anyway, im more curious if anyone has had a failure like this and / or has any idea what might have failed within the motor or whatever. Just a curioisty. The service writer didnt seem to know and i didnt want to push them since they're already solving it for me.

I had the same problem with a customer car.

It’s definitely the motor assembly, but the actual problem is not known.

Toyota would not fix that car, because it had 64,000 miles, and the powertrain warranty is 5yr / 60,000 miles.

Also, the previous owner had a Platinum warranty on the car.

TonyWilliams said:
I had the same problem with a customer car.

It’s definitely the motor assembly, but the actual problem is not known.

Toyota would not fix that car, because it had 64,000 miles, and the powertrain warranty is 5yr / 60,000 miles.

Also, the previous owner had a Platinum warranty on the car.

Did the previous owner not transfer the warranty to the new owner, or did Toyota not honor the Platinum warranty and was it still valid?

I had a drive unit replaced at Toyota of El Cajon a year or so ago. At the time the EV service tech was Carlos. They used to have two, but one moved on. They did an acceptable job with the exception of properly purging the cooling system of air. The next day I got "battery overheating" and "power reduced" messages, and I had to take it back for them to top off the coolant.

This is a known issue and a "rookie" mistake. I mentioned it when I took the car in, but they rarely listen to the customer (my experience). Of course they told me they've done several motor replacements, but they didn't seem aware of the coolant issue and I still had to bring mine back.

I find Micah is the only service writer that I have worked with that is worth talking too. The other two I've dealt with were near useless. One told me that I should get rid of the car, that Toyota stopped building them for a reason. Apparently he was not aware that they never planned to build them long term in the first place.

You may notice my negative bias towards the service department, but that is just typical of my contempt for dealer service in general. Toyota of El Cajon is probably better than average overall and all in all I have been satisfied with the end result.

Aries said:
My rav has nothing special about it other than having Tonys JDEMO unit installed (which was not a factor or mentioned by the dealer at all). This car has had no issues. It also has no special warranty - just the standard warranty.

Nice. Would you mind telling us which dealer? Always helpful to know the good ones...

Well, apparently the new motor has arrived “in a crate”. I’m going to go out tomorrow most likely to take a look at it as I’m curious what this all consists of. So, seems things are moving along and the motors apparently are available without a huge wait or anything.

They called today to comment on the JDemo, referring to it as an “aftermarket charging system”. It didn’t cause any consternation, he simply wanted approval for the labor they would need to charge to deal with removal and reinstall since apparently (and not surprisingly) the warranty authorization doesn’t cover this aspect. I didn’t have any issue with that.

So far, so good.

Wow! I am floored with your experience. My RAV4 has been at Toyota El Cajon since Oct 14, 2017 with the exact same issue and they are still going back and forth with Tesla....Carlos is still the tech and they told me they had 7 EVs I. The service dept. at one point and are now down to 3. I have the Platinum warranty and the mileage is only at 31k on a 2014 car.

They first replaced the gateway ECU which had no impact. I expected them to then tell me the engine was up next based on other driver’s experiences but nothing. Supposedly have been waiting on Tesla this whole time.....

Can you tell me when you dropped yours off?

I’m a driving a rental they are paying for but I don’t understand why it’s taken this long. Toyota and Tesla know what parts are failing in these cars so there’s no reason it’s taken this long for mine.

Congrats to you though!! Hopefully based on your experience my car will have the enigine replacement soon.

kimberlyr said:
Wow! I am floored with your experience. My RAV4 has been at Toyota El Cajon since Oct 14, 2017 with the exact same issue and they are still going back and forth with Tesla....Carlos is still the tech and they told me they had 7 EVs I. The service dept. at one point and are now down to 3. I have the Platinum warranty and the mileage is only at 31k on a 2014 car.

They first replaced the gateway ECU which had no impact. I expected them to then tell me the engine was up next based on other driver’s experiences but nothing. Supposedly have been waiting on Tesla this whole time.....

Can you tell me when you dropped yours off?

I’m a driving a rental they are paying for but I don’t understand why it’s taken this long. Toyota and Tesla know what parts are failing in these cars so there’s no reason it’s taken this long for mine.

Congrats to you though!! Hopefully based on your experience my car will have the enigine replacement soon.
Did you open a case with the Toyota Experience Center (corporate customer service)?? You should definitely open a case with them explaining where the car is and how long it's been there. There is only so much the dealer can do, but corporate can apply a little more pressure or prioritize your car.

That’s quite a different experience than I have. I’m not sure what to say other than I went into this expecting an experience more like what you describe due to my readings on this forum. As you read, my experience was truely smooth.. literally a non event.

I dropped it off either Dec 7 or 8.. I don’t recall.

Unfortunately I didn’t make it down there quickly enough to see the new motor (engine) before they installed it but I did see the crates. They had two Tesla motor crates -mine and apparently someone else. Carlos was the EV tech. I didn’t have direct interaction with him other than when I went to look at the motor (crates) we passed him in the service area and I spoke to him briefly & thanked him for his work.

I saw one silver rav in the service bay when I was there. Apparently it was in for a motor change also.

I’ll see if I can attach a pic of the crates at least.

I don’t have any special warranties or anything so I don’t know why mine went more smoothly than others seemingly do. My (limited) experiences with Toyota El Cajon have all been positive. I don’t have a lot of experience though as my rav has needed little to no maintenance in its 40k+ miles.

Finally heard Friday that Tesla is shipping a new motor. No ETA on when it will arrive, but at least I now have hope.

Got my car back... nicely detailed and so excited! Fingers crossed it keeps accelerating when I ask it to...lol

Only 5 months in the shop.... :(

Back