Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my Rav4 EV back. They claimed it was a brand new battery. A crate was sitting there with Tesla stamps all over it but I don't know. The car actually charges in in extended mode now, so I guess its better. I haven't done a Tony Test, probably won't. They charge ~$550 to take out and put back in the Jdemo, I think it was worth it. Really happy to have it back. Also have the Tony recommended Bosch 12v in there too now, so that is cool.

Golfpilot said:
I have my Rav4 EV back. They claimed it was a brand new battery. A crate was sitting there with Tesla stamps all over it but I don't know. The car actually charges in in extended mode now, so I guess its better. I haven't done a Tony Test, probably won't. They charge ~$550 to take out and put back in the Jdemo, I think it was worth it. Really happy to have it back. Also have the Tony recommended Bosch 12v in there too now, so that is cool.

Good to hear! Congrats!

Toyota said they found the problem to be some sort of Toyota to Tesla plug. I am not sure what it means exactly. It's suppose to be an easy fix

Lucky I have the extended warranty. $550 for the service plug, $450 for labor (3 hours) and $250 for rental car, $85 for the tow? I am almost breakeven on my extended warranty. I paid $1250 for the 7/125

Note: (originally posted on Mar 22 in Toyota roadside is useless)
I used this message posting to help me get going without a tow

My Rav4 EV died on north 680 today near the Durham exit in Fremont after dark. I was able to coast off the freeway and onto a side street.
The Check EV System warning message was on the dashboard. I used safety connect to call for towing and everything seemed go well until they responded that they were going to tow me 3 miles to Fremont Toyota which is not a authorized Rav4 EV dealer. I told them I wanted to go to Toyota of Palo Alto as I have had all my work done there.

OK the charge for that was $131. What??? Really?? Sir we can only tow you to the closest dealer. I say that dealer can't service the car. They are like sorry sir.

I told the lady to call me back in 5 min. I tried the start 5 times (tried like 15 times) but still no go. I was talking to my wife when Toyota called me back, but my phone dropped the call. No call back from Toyota, tried calling the number on caller ID but it was outgoing only. Now I am feeling very unhappy.

So I am sitting in the car wondering what to do, scared about the traffic whizzing by, I hear the contacter drop out. So I try to start again and it works. The error is still there but I am able to drive 14 miles home

Feeling lucky to get home, but really think - *** Toyota Roadside Service is useless *** and a waste of money.

Scott

Note: (originally posted on Mar 26 in Toyota roadside is useless)

So Saturday I decide to drive my car to Berkley Toyota 32 miles away to diagnose the EV Check Warning Message. I decide not to tow it because of the cost and my bad experience from the previous night. My wife followed in our ICE car.
I make it to Berkley with no problems, but partially pull into the service area that was blocked with cars. I got out to find the service manager and the meter maid tells me to move my car. I try but now the car will not get out of neutral, and is dead. So the service manager pushes it into the garage.
I am happy I made it, but in hindsight I probably should have had it towed in.

Scott

z3scot said:
Note: (originally posted on Mar 26 in Toyota roadside is useless)

So Saturday I decide to drive my car to Berkley Toyota 32 miles away to diagnose the EV Check Warning Message. I decide not to tow it because of the cost and my bad experience from the previous night. My wife followed in our ICE car.
I make it to Berkley with no problems, but partially pull into the service area that was blocked with cars. I got out to find the service manager and the meter maid tells me to move my car. I try but now the car will not get out of neutral, and is dead. So the service manager pushes it into the garage.
I am happy I made it, but in hindsight I probably should have had it towed in.

Scott

Bummer. Keep us posted.

Toyota of Berkley called, I need a new battery.
It is under the original warranty of 60,000 miles, I have over 52,000 on the battery.

The battery took about 2 weeks to get.

I am scheduled to pick it up next week.

Scott

z3scot said:
It is under the original warranty of 60,000 miles, I have over 52,000 on the battery.

Scott

Is this a $36,000 main traction battery (386 volts), or a simple 12 volt battery?

TonyWilliams said:
z3scot said:

Scott

Is this a $36,000 main traction battery (386 volts), or a simple 12 volt battery?

Tony - it is the main traction battery. The service manager said the crate was the size of a Prius :lol:
Wow $36K is even more than I thought.
I replaced the 12v battery Feb 2016 with an Interstate Group 24F from Costco.

Toyota of Berkley have been testing my car this week... I have been getting many charge notifications - and I am on business travel. :D
I can't wait to pick up my car, travel in the bay area without the stickers is slow slow slow.

Today I was going down steep hill near our house in B mode, outside air temp about 73. At the bottom of the hill it flipped into turtle mode, charge went to 0 bars, and the Check EV System warning light came on. Pulled into nearby lot. I power cycled multiple times with no joy, but after about 30 minutes I tried again, just as the tow truck came, and all was good. 52,000 miles. I guess I'll not take it in and see if it recurs.

astroev said:
Today I was going down steep hill near our house in B mode, outside air temp about 73. At the bottom of the hill it flipped into turtle mode, charge went to 0 bars, and the Check EV System warning light came on. Pulled into nearby lot. I power cycled multiple times with no joy, but after about 30 minutes I tried again, just as the tow truck came, and all was good. 52,000 miles. I guess I'll not take it in and see if it recurs.

That sucks. Im sorry. I think I have heard this before and it was the battery. I am not positive though.

Hopefully you have a warranty?

jimbo69ny said:
That sucks. Im sorry. I think I have heard this before and it was the battery. I am not positive though.

Hopefully you have a warranty?

Thanks. I do have the extended warranty, so its just the hassle factor. I will probably it in to Palo Alto tomorrow to have them read the codes.

That sucks indeed. I think that taking it to Palo Alto Toyota is a good idea. Hopefully it stored an error code and the problem is in the ECU or something else not too terribly difficult or expensive to replace.

davewill said:
Check/replace your 12v battery before getting into anything really hairy. It could be the whole problem.

I agree. Replace the battery first. The dealer might give you a new one under warranty but it wont be without a hassle. Spend the $160 and get the one that Tony recommends. I did

Back