Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:13 am 

Here is my current battery problem.

Car is 5 Yr old
Never Changed the 12 V battery
Clipper Creek 10 AMP Charger

One Morning, The car was trying to charge but i keep hearing click sounds and retries again and again until in the Evening i am back from office.

Car 12V battery is dead as the car no longer turns on.

Jump started using another car, RAV4EV turned on Fine. As soon as i disconnected jumper cable. RAV4EV went dead.

Jump started again and let the other car ON for next 15 mins and jumper cables connected. Assuiming RAV4EV 12 V battery will get charged.

RAV4EV didn't shutdown even after removing the jumper cable.

Tried to charge the car again and it keep making clicking sounds and i disconnected the charging cable.

I turned off the RAV4EV and after 30 Mins RAV4EV doesn't even start again.

Is it 12 V battery problem or something else. Please let me know. Based on your suggestions i will have to decide to take the car to PepBoys or Toyota Dealership .

Advanced thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:47 pm 

It is almost certainly the 12v battery. That the original battery lasted for 5 years is a minor miracle as the RAV is really hard on them. Do NOT reconnect the dead battery to the car any more (and if it's connected, disconnect it). Low voltage situations have been known to cause lockups that require dealer intervention to correct. Get a new battery and install it ASAP. Read further up the thread for specific battery recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:22 am 

Need to measure the actual 12v battery voltage after you remove the cables. Voltage should rise above 14 volts if the DC/DC converter is working.
Regardless you needed a new 12v battery a year ago.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:45 pm 

Yet another GREAT example of why you don’t wait to change the 12volt battery. If you have the original 12 volt battery, CHANGE IT NOW.

Good luck with all the issues caused by not proactively replacing the 12volt battery.

ravisekhar wrote:
Here is my current battery problem.

Car is 5 Yr old
Never Changed the 12 V battery
Clipper Creek 10 AMP Charger

One Morning, The car was trying to charge but i keep hearing click sounds and retries again and again until in the Evening i am back from office.

Car 12V battery is dead as the car no longer turns on.

Jump started using another car, RAV4EV turned on Fine. As soon as i disconnected jumper cable. RAV4EV went dead.

Jump started again and let the other car ON for next 15 mins and jumper cables connected. Assuiming RAV4EV 12 V battery will get charged.

RAV4EV didn't shutdown even after removing the jumper cable.

Tried to charge the car again and it keep making clicking sounds and i disconnected the charging cable.

I turned off the RAV4EV and after 30 Mins RAV4EV doesn't even start again.

Is it 12 V battery problem or something else. Please let me know. Based on your suggestions i will have to decide to take the car to PepBoys or Toyota Dealership .

Advanced thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:42 am 

I did what Tony said and replaced my original battery, that was almost 4 years old, with the Bosch AGM in February. I've been getting air bag error messages for the last few days so I checked the voltage when I got home and it read 9.6 volts. I charged it to 14.6 and disconnected the charger and the voltage started dropping. I disconnected the neg terminal and the battery is holding at 12.75v. I get a pretty good spark when I touch the neg cable to the neg battery terminal. There seems to be a load discharging the battery...Any suggestions? The car can sit unused for up to 3 days at a time.

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 6sp manual

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:00 am 

rickrides wrote:
I did what Tony said and replaced my original battery, that was almost 4 years old, with the Bosch AGM in February. I've been getting air bag error messages for the last few days so I checked the voltage when I got home and it read 9.6 volts. I charged it to 14.6 and disconnected the charger and the voltage started dropping. I disconnected the neg terminal and the battery is holding at 12.75v. I get a pretty good spark when I touch the neg cable to the neg battery terminal. There seems to be a load discharging the battery...Any suggestions? The car can sit unused for up to 3 days at a time.

Mine did this. Was about 2 amp load that never shut off. Turned out to be the Gateway computer. You need to keep it on a charger or start pulling 12v fuses until the drain stops. Get it into the dealer asap.

BTW Carson Toyota would not work on my car with the larger Bosch battery. They told me it was draining because it was too large. (WTFH?) Installed a Toyota battery (over $200 my cost) and it died 2 days later. Towed to Irvine Toyota to get an actual technician to look at it. Three tows later Tesla decided it was the computer.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1775&hilit=drain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:21 am 

rickrides wrote:

I replaced my Bosch AGM today with another one under warranty. It tested bad at Pep Boys and they gave me a new one. It had almost no capacity. For being such a great battery, it didn't last very long.

I will continue to monitor the new battery to see if there is a phantom load draining it.

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 6sp manual

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11