Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery Chiller
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 pm 

Has anyone ever checked out the chiller for the battery? I am trying to determine if mine is functioning properly; whenever parked with the hood open, I have always noticed that the refrigerant line to the chiller is never cold like the line to the cabin evap coil. Has anyone noticed this on a hot day?

Post subject: Re: Battery Chiller
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:15 am 

ph2 wrote:
Has anyone ever checked out the chiller for the battery? I am trying to determine if mine is functioning properly; whenever parked with the hood open, I have always noticed that the refrigerant line to the chiller is never cold like the line to the cabin evap coil. Has anyone noticed this on a hot day?

The battery is cooled using the same AC compressor as the cabin air. So if you have cold cabin air, your battery is getting cold fluid too. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure thats right.

2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:11 am 

not 100% accurate.
You have to be in none Eco modes .
So, always put it on auto or normal to ensure battery is getting chilled ..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:28 pm 

Thanks for the replies so far; I suppose I should clarify my question.

The battery chiller and cabin evap coil are supplied by the same compressor. However there is an actuator on the chiller that controls the flow of refrigerant.

Does anyone know when this actuator should be open/closed?
Is it simply controlled by battery temp when set to 'AUTO' or are there other control variables such as the car needs to be moving, etc?
I have observed that my chiller does not receive refrigerant when the AC is set to 'AUTO', the battery temp is high and the car is parked; has anyone else observed this or can replicate/confirm?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:42 pm 

There is a "Thermal ECU" that controls this stuff based on actual battery temps. However, its behavior is not publicly documented. The batteries actually like to be a little warm, so in reality they don't need cooling unless it's over 90F outside and you are driving fast or fast charging. In order for it to do active cooling, either with the radiator or the A/C, the car needs to be ON in READY, or charging. If you hear the fans running during charging, it still may not be cooling the battery, it may just be getting the heat out that was generated by the on-board charger.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)