Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:44 am 

Tony, thanks for the advice.

Will go back to them about this. I was surprised myself at the request to remove it.

'13 Silver RAV4 EV #2178
(Aftermarket Leather Seats)
'11 Leaf SV (retired)

Last edited by Jonathan_UK on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:03 pm 

Jonathan, any update on your warranty pursuit?

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
1999 E300 on B100, Tourmaline Green
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:34 am 

The CarMax warranty came though. They are paying up to the purchase price of the vehicle, covering almost $13K. I am having to pay about $1K on top. I am happy with this outcome.

The one downside I hadn't factored in, is that my warranty now comes to an end and will not cover any future repairs, so I will have to source my own replacement parts in future.

I'm now waiting for the replacement drivetrain to arrive at Toyota Carlsbad, which could take up to two months.

'13 Silver RAV4 EV #2178
'11 Leaf SV (retired)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:28 pm 

Jonathan_UK wrote:
The CarMax warranty came though. They are paying up to the purchase price of the vehicle, covering almost $13K. I am having to pay about $1K on top. I am happy with this outcome.

The one downside I hadn't factored in, is that my warranty now comes to an end and will not cover any future repairs, so I will have to source my own replacement parts in future.

I'm now waiting for the replacement drivetrain to arrive at Toyota Carlsbad, which could take up to two months.

Interesting, wasn't the warranty for a specified time and mileage? If so, was there a clause that limits their liability and allows them to cancel it because of the cost of repairs? It seems they should be on the hook for the duration of the warranty period, otherwise the warranty was sold in a misleading manner.

8/12/14 RAV4 EV #3008, Blizzard Pearl
9kW Solar Electric System
SDGE TOU metering
OpenEVSE 40 amp

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:51 pm 

dstjohn99 wrote:
Jonathan_UK wrote:

Interesting, wasn't the warranty for a specified time and mileage? If so, was there a clause that limits their liability and allows them to cancel it because of the cost of repairs? It seems they should be on the hook for the duration of the warranty period, otherwise the warranty was sold in a misleading manner.

Even the Toyota Platinum warranty has similar limitations. Toyota's warranty will only pay for a single repair up to the present market value of the car and will only pay a cumulative amount up to what the car was worth at the time the warranty was purchased. After all, it is basically an insurance policy, not a manufacturer's guarantee. I can post the specific language in the warranty booklet later if you're interested.

I just got my drive unit replacement approved on the manufacturer's Powertrain Warranty which expires after 5 years or 60,000 miles. These limits on the extended warranty are the reason that I made sure to get the car evaluated for drive unit noise while it was still on the manufacturer's warranty.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:12 pm 

Mine's at 58k. It had noise when I bought it, but not really annoying. It's gotten quite a bit louder, so I dropped it at Toyota of Seattle yesterday for the evaluation . . . driving the E300 again instead :(

I knew I was going to get the DU replaced, I just figured I'd wait until I got closer to 60k. The noise is now louder than the VPNS.

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:24 pm 

Just got my motor replaced yesterday at Toyota of Palo Alto. (Mine's an October 2013 with 36K miles.)

Oh my word, it's so quiet!! The sweet sound of silence (tire noise aside). I had forgotten how quiet it originally was!! Here I had been waiting for the noise to become apparent enough to avoid any hassle with the dealership. I probably could have brought it in a while ago.

However, see also this discussion about how Toyota of Palo Alto will likely try to charge you close to $600 to replace your "battery service plug", starting here:
viewtopic.php?p=27257#p27257

The consensus seems to be that this is, uh... bunk.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:12 am 

As Miimura stated, warranties pay a cumulative amount up to what the car was worth at the time the warranty was purchased. I got my RAV4 for a very low price ($13K) hence my warranty will be over after this claim.

'13 Silver RAV4 EV #2178
'11 Leaf SV (retired)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:46 pm 

Mine's scheduled for a DU replacement on 31May. When they'd confirmed it qualified for replacement, I was told, "two weeks to two months, we won't know until it shows up."

Turns out, about five weeks was the number. I hope they turn it around fast; I've come to dislike commuting in the Mercedes :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:55 pm 

DU has been replaced. One-day turnaround. The tech was "available" 31May, so I dropped it off the day before. I received a text 4pm 31May that it was clear for pickup.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44