Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tony-Test: How to Calculate Rated Range/Battery Degradat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:02 pm 

BUMP

Was hoping to get some feedback on my post above.

Andy McClure
2014 Toyota Rav4 EV #3304, Blizzard Pearl
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
Clipper Creek 24 Amp L2 EVSE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:15 am 

I don't know what happened with your Tony-Test. Maybe you didn't have the climate off? I did that the first time.

I suggest that you just charge to Standard every day unless you still have more than 7/8 battery left and don't need more the next day. That's the way I have been using the car for 5 years.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:43 am 

Thanks @miimura for your comments. Seems like a good strategy.

I may be in the weeds, but I still find step 2 of the test confusing. It talks about battery temp, but it's unclear what one is supposed to do about it. Charge, then wait until it cools before performing the overnight step, or DON'T let it cool TOO much before performing the overnight step(?)

Anyway, just want to be sure I know how to do it right before bothering to do it again.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:58 am 

89% capacity is quite reasonable for a 3-4 year old battery.

Perhaps you know, but the rest of us have no idea what kind of ambient temperatures this Vehicle was exposed to. Was it in a hot place?

You are over thinking the battery temperature. We just want it somewhere around room temperature. Charging barely heats it at all, even at 125 amps DC using JdeMO. There is no “cooling step” in the Tony-Test.

If the battery was cold (below 60F / 15C), the battery heater will likely come on. If the battery is above about 90F / 35C, the air conditioner pump may run. So, just guesstimate if your battery is within these extremes.

a_mcclure wrote:
Adding a data point, but also have a couple of questions. Purchased a 2014 Rav4 EV from original owner; approximately 32,000 miles. Did the Tony test and was a little disappointed that it came in at 130 or about 89%.

Can someone clarify about the battery and ambient temperatures comment? Is the overnight step the one that allows the cooling, or are the steps indicating that one should charge using extended charge, THEN allow it to sit and cool (then I assume try to charge some more) -- all before the overnight step? I did something in between, I suppose. Charged to standard level, then let sit for a few hours, then charged to extended level in the evening before disconnecting the battery and allowing it to sit overnight. Any insight would be appreciated.

Separately, I wonder if the following would be an advisable charging regimen:
- each night determine how much driving might be done the next day, including a cushion
- set the departure time for the next day late enough to accomplish the target level of charge in time for the REAL intended departure time
- plug in at night, then just unplug the next morning when it's time to leave even though charging is in progress

So if the car says it needs 3.5 hrs to charge to full, but I only want to charge it 2 hrs overnight, I would just set the departure time for 1.5 hrs after my intended departure time. Is it worth the effort, or is it not going to help the battery life any more than just charging to standard "full" level every time I feel it needs to charge? Is it a BAD idea to be regularly unplugging when the car is in an active charging mode?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Andy McClure
2014 Toyota Rav4 EV #3304, Blizzard Pearl
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
Clipper Creek 24 Amp L2 EVSE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:03 am 

Just checked my replacement traction battery using the "Tony Test procedure".

My battery was just changed out last week at 52,500 miles on the original battery
I got 135/146=92.4% at 66 Degrees with about 1.5 hours disconnected.

The capacity is less than new but should last me another 5 years

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:08 pm 

So is Toyota/Tesla replacing battery pack with refurb units that carry less kwh? It seems like everyone who got a new battery already started with 3-4kwh less. I am getting about 92% of the original 41.8

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:47 pm 

Just did the test after one year of ownership. For my '13 RAV with 80K miles, I got 130 miles (89%).

I've had JdeMo installed a year ago, and taken the car on many long road trips which has required frequent Quick charging, so while I would have preferred >90%, I'm not too disappointed.

'13 Silver RAV4 EV #2178
(Aftermarket Leather Seats)
'11 Leaf SV (retired)