Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is My 12V Battery Dying
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:12 pm 

Why would you start a new thread?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:48 am 

I finally bit the bullet and replaced my 12v battery with the Bosch AGM ($179 if you order online and pick up in store at Pep Boys, the battery was in stock 4 year warranty).

The battery was slightly *taller* than the prior battery so i had to use a longer battery stay (the threaded rod on the back of the battery). Fortunately i had one laying around out of a pair i'd bought when i had this same problem on a different car. It needed to be about 1/2 inch longer. I could've taken the plastic battery tray out from under the battery though to make it fit if needed. I did spring for the $1.70 "battery terminal grease" (which is probably a scam) and put it on the mating surfaces on the terminals at the time i installed the battery.

2013 Shoreline Blue Pearl Rav4 EV #1634

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:50 pm 

n3ckf wrote:
I finally bit the bullet and replaced my 12v battery with the Bosch AGM ($179 if you order online and pick up in store at Pep Boys, the battery was in stock 4 year warranty).

The battery was slightly *taller* than the prior battery so i had to use a longer battery stay (the threaded rod on the back of the battery). Fortunately i had one laying around out of a pair i'd bought when i had this same problem on a different car. It needed to be about 1/2 inch longer. I could've taken the plastic battery tray out from under the battery though to make it fit if needed. I did spring for the $1.70 "battery terminal grease" (which is probably a scam) and put it on the mating surfaces on the terminals at the time i installed the battery.

The original threaded rod works... you missed the hole that it is designed to fit in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:22 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:
The original threaded rod works... you missed the hole that it is designed to fit in.

You have to admit, that's very easy to do on this vehicle.

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
1999 E300 on B100, Tourmaline Green
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org