10 weeks and still waiting for traction battery from Tesla

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conan

Lost all power while driving on the freeway. No power steering no power braking. Towed car in and they had me replace the 12v battery. Told them it wasnt the 12v battery since I had experienced this before two years ago and both the 12v and traction batteries were replaced (took 5 weeks back then). Anyways, two days after replacing the 12v, I experienced the same power loss while driving on the freeway. My 7th such incident in 5 years. Towed the car in again and this time they acknowledged that it needs a traction battery replacement from Tesla. This was 10 weeks ago. Still waiting. Called Toyota corporate and opened a case. They investigated and discovered that the car sat there for 5 weeks thinking the part was ordered when it wasn't. They finally placed the order and the battery was shipped by Tesla on Aug 17th. Still haven't heard back from anyone since then. Corporate said they would compensate me for the inconveniences. Not sure what that means. I am considering ombudsman or arbitration or whatever the process is to see what I can get. Car has spent over 16 weeks in the shop for the same issue two years apart and under warranty.

If Tesla shipped the battery on the 17th of Aug as corporate has stated, I assume it would arrive by the 25th at the latest. It takes less than a day to replace. So should have had my car back a week or two ago.

I hope this doesn't become the normal wait times for these cars. Maybe Teska is too busy to deal with these battery replacements.

I'm in a similar situation. (But only a month so far without my vehicle). A new Drive Unit was supposedly ordered for mine and they gave me a ship date/approximate arrival date. Now, nobody knows where it went. The dealer never got it, Tesla doesn't know where it is. Corporate has no idea what happened. And corporate hasn't returned any of my daily calls for over a week.

Please keep us updated on your situation and if you're on Facebook, there's quite a bit of activity on the Rav4 EV group. You may want to join that if you haven't already.

I wonder what is going on over there at Toyota! It seems like no one is in charge! 10 weeks is a long time!

El cajon Toyota

I'll check the facebook group. This forum isnt as active as it once was.

Got the car back about a few weeks ago. Spent almost 3 months at the dealership. I requested Toyota buy back the car under California lemon law. They agreed!

Will update this thread when they provide me with the numbers.

Back