Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Car won't charge / Onboard Charger Failure
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:33 pm 

There’s no recall on the charger. It is covered by the 5 year / 60,000 month powertrain warranty.

If your 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV is outside those parameters, you need to buy the Toyota Platinum used car extended warranty (VSA). You can buy this for up to 5 years / 60,000 more miles.

Expect to pay $2000 to $2500 for the warranty. The Toyota dealer in Bozeman, Montana seems to be a good source to buy this warranty.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:16 pm 

RAV4EV a '13 has a fully discharged high-voltage battery, but charging (by different devices) is impossible and not ON/Flash of Indicate Lamps..
On Electric Vehicle Charger Cable read Flash-code 3 *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGVIqqbSxtU
No "Check EV System" message, Car have current DTC only in ABC/VSC/TRAK (U0293).
Please, let me know, as I can solved Problem?

Update. Video lack of charging on another Car and for example charging a serviceable Car shown in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0xDz-5mAM ,
One of the reasons for the lack of charging is shown in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMHu2x7RC_I

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:41 pm 

Sadly, at 42,000 miles, my wife and I are joining the chorus of those having charging issues. Last night, our 2014 Rav4EV would not accept a charge--the two charging lights would both blink after about 30 seconds, with a warning message on the dash. After about 4-5 tries, the car finally accepted a full charge, which will get me to the dealer tomorrow, 54 miles away.

We had our original 12-volt battery changed a couple of weeks ago, while the dealership was replacing the front axle, but I don't know that the battery exchange would have any effect on the charging function. After dealing with the axle issue, it is pretty discouraging to now have charging issues, but that seems to be the price of driving this "rolling science experiment." We did purchase the 10-year, 125,000 mile extended warranty, so we're ready for the long haul.

Solar Panels on Roof
42,000 Miles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 pm 

califteacher wrote:
Sadly, at 42,000 miles, my wife and I are joining the chorus of those having charging issues. Last night, our 2014 Rav4EV would not accept a charge--the two charging lights would both blink after about 30 seconds, with a warning message on the dash. After about 4-5 tries, the car finally accepted a full charge, which will get me to the dealer tomorrow, 54 miles away.

Sorry to hear about your charging issues. Could you ask your dealer to check for fault codes/history on the Tesla diagnostics connector and share the results here? It might help shed some light on these failures that have been popping up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:11 pm 

If this is not under warranty, we can beat the dealer price for an onboard charger repair.

$4800 at the dealer

$3000 at our shop in San Marcos, California.