New California Corridor Fast Chargers Installed

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A new Localized Health Impacts Report was released by the CEC today that updated sites proposed by ChargePoint and EV Connect for their Inter-Regional Corridor sites. ChargePoint moved 9 sites and EV Connect moved 7 sites.

Localized Health Impacts Report - Addendum 3, GFO-15-603

One comment I will make is that EV Connect only had 11 sites and they have just moved 7 of them. One must conclude that they did not do a good job of vetting their initial sites.

The Google Map has been updated with the new site addresses.

A new Localized Health Impacts Report was released by the CEC today that updated sites proposed by ChargePoint and EV Connect for their North-South Corridor sites. ChargePoint moved 2 sites and EV Connect moved 6 sites.

Localized Health Impacts Report - Addendum 3, GFO-15-601

One comment I will make is that EV Connect only had 11 sites in this grant and they have just moved 6 of them. One must conclude that they did not do a good job of vetting their initial sites.

I was also happy to see that the Recargo ones have not moved - hopefully they are under construction. I asked them for an update a week ago and heard nothing back.

Thanks for maintaining the map of DCFC sites.

Vegas, baby! Looks like the EvGo chargers in Baker are finally online. Technically, not CEC, but definitely needed.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/157532

geo said:
Vegas, baby! Looks like the EvGo chargers in Baker are finally online. Technically, not CEC, but definitely needed.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/157532
Thanks for posting that. I knew about it, but forgot to post it here. This thread is for all Corridor Fast Chargers. I have been posting about the CEC location updates because there have been so few actual new chargers coming online.

There are actually duplicate entries for this location. "Worlds Tallest Thermometer" and "Baker EVgo Charger". Neither of them are linked up to the EVgo network status. According to the EVgo app, the charger IDs are LAXT6928DC1 and LAXT6928DC2. DC1 is currently indicated "Offline" and DC2 shows available. These are not new style chargers, they are the same ABB dual standard 50kW stations EVgo uses all around their network. The UltraFast CCS chargers installed here are not online yet.

I found this little tidbit of info on Recargo's website.

http://help.recargo.com/support/sol...k-be-built-how-many-chargers-will-it-include-

So it appears Recargo is starting work on the L3 charging stations between Santa Barbara and the Oregon border. The first location will be in Prunedale near the the 101 and 156 intersection. A location between Salinas and SLO would have been better....

The FAQ also lists a minimum power output of 175kW. Great for those vehicles that can take advantage of it. I tried to convince CALTRANS to install high powered chargers at their locations but it fell upon deaf ears unfortunately.

Four years and still no CHAdeMO charging stations between SLO and Salinas. There are two 24 kW CCS stations though.

I drove my JDemo equipped Rav4EV to Berkeley and back last weekend to move my daughter home. I had to take the 99 as that was the only reasonable route. I would have preferred the coastal route, but it wasn't covered, and the I-5 was a no-go with all those 25kW stations and no backups if one was unavailable for any reason.

I honestly don't think that I would drive the Rav that far again. It took 15 hours and 7 charging stops each way. I think two or three stops is about my limit.

P.S. At one stop, only one unit was working and it was occupied. I had to convince the Bolt owner to cut his charging session short and make an extra stop. He wanted me to wait a full hour while he charged all the way up so he wouldn't have to make another stop. I might have made Save Mart sound a little better than it was. :)

P.P.S. to add insult, the hotel told me when I called that they had EV charging. They didn't mention that it was all Tesla. Luckily, there was CHAdeMO across the street, and the sister hotel a block away (where I had been the last time up) had regular J1772 units, and were willing to let me charge up for the trip home.

A new Localized Health Impacts Report was released by the CEC today that updated sites proposed by ChargePoint, Recargo and EV Connect for their North-South Corridor sites. ChargePoint moved 2 sites, Recargo moved 5 sites and EV Connect moved 2 sites.

Localized Health Impacts Report - Addendum 4, GFO-15-601

The ChargePoint changes are inconsequential, they are either just down the same street or across the same street.

The EV Connect changes are a result of their partnership with Love's alt-fuel company Trillium. Trillium Press Release. One of these site changes is resulting in a charging station moving from a Pilot Travel Center right off CA-99 in northern Madera to a Love's location on CA-145 much further from CA-99 in Madera.

Recargo changed their sites on the US-101 corridor. The Paso Robles site was moved from a rural winery to hotel that is more "in town". I never liked their original Paso Robles site. The Gonzales site was moved to Salinas and the Greenfield site was moved to Soledad. This is a northern shift of these two sites and the spacing is OK, but Salinas already has fast charging available. The only good thing about the Salinas site is that it is closer to the freeway than the current EVgo site. The San Luis Obispo site was moved from the north side of town to the south side just off Los Osos Valley Road. It doesn't look like there is any food in walking distance. The Santa Maria site was also moved from the north side of town to the south side. The new location is a bit off US-101, but it's in a shopping center that has lots of food choices nearby.

While I'm talking about the 101 corridor, I will mention that it was reported in the Facebook group that a rep from the Monterey Air Resources Board indicated that the CalTrans fast charging site at the Camp Roberts Rest Areas North and South bound should be open by October.

There are a few things to be aware of about the CALTRANS L3 chargers at Camp Roberts (101 NB/SB) and Shandon(46 EB).

The L3 chargers will be solar powered with batteries to store energy from panels. They didn't want to run 480V service to the locations so they went with a battery powered solar system. I got the impression that there will be a limited number of uses before the batteries are depleted and need to be recharged via solar or a trickle charge 208V service. The person I spoke with about the project didn't seem to have a whole lot of technical knowledge and they weren't very forthcoming with the info.

The charging stations are free, so expect usage to be heavy once the word gets out. There may even be lines for the chargers like the free ones provided down in LA by LADWP.

There is only one station per location so plan accordingly. They were under the impression that only EV's with longer ranges (200+) would use them so only one was installed with no backup.

I'll try and get more info closer to the completion date.

The first CEC funded L3 charger to be installed by Recargo is now showing up at the Prunedale Shopping Center west of 101 off San Miguel Canyon Rd in Prunedale. See the link below.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/163319

It's not operational yet so they are a little behind schedule since they were shooting for June 2018. I am curious how much the cost per kWh will be.

swogee said:
The first CEC funded L3 charger to be installed by Recargo is now showing up at the Prunedale Shopping Center west of 101 off San Miguel Canyon Rd in Prunedale. See the link below.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/163319

It's not operational yet so they are a little behind schedule since they were shooting for June 2018. I am curious how much the cost per kWh will be.
I'm not so sure that one is CEC funded. The nearest Recargo site in CEC documents was recently moved to N. Davis Road Salinas from Gonzales. Based on a post on Facebook from an insider at the Monterey Bay Air Resource District, I believe they are funding this 6-charger site. I wonder who put the "Recargo 1st Location" in the Plugshare listing. One would think that Plugshare would know about Recargo's sites since they're owned by Recargo. However, one hand might not know what the other is doing.
MB-ARD Insider said:
...our agency is also funding a 6 post dual port (CCS + CHAdeMO) DCFC complex at the Prunedale Shopping Center, 175kW with Tesla Power Pack energy storage. Location is on San Miguel Canyon Road, estimate done by September!
The MB-ARD insider also said that they are contributing to the cost of the battery & solar powered fast chargers that will be installed at the Camp Roberts rest areas. Envision is finishing up the design phase now. The same system will also be installed at the Shandon rest area.

According to PlugShare entries, 4 of the 6 stalls at Prundale are working. It is apparently on the Recargo network even though I still believe that this is not a CEC funded Recargo developed site. It may be funded by MB-ARD and developed by Recargo.

The "Pay with PlugShare" price is currently shown as $0.42/kWh. That is relatively expensive. EVgo PAYG is currently $0.20/min. In 30 minutes a RAV4 EV can add ~20kWh. That's $6 on EVgo and $8.40 at this location. That's 40% more expensive. However, IMHO, anything below $10 per 30 minute session is tolerable for the occasional road trip. There are enough EVgo sites in this area that I would just use the one that is most convenient.

Looks like the Mt Shasta Chargepoint is nearing completion. The pictures show it as installed, but not yet open.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/164743

That bridges a big gap on the way to Oregon.

The Mt. Shasta site is still not open, but this picture appeared in the Plugshare listing.

336558.jpg

At first I thought there were more red dots in California than known sites, but after further review, those are all known and shown on my map of future DCFC sites.

davewill said:
P.P.S. to add insult, the hotel told me when I called that they had EV charging. They didn't mention that it was all Tesla. Luckily, there was CHAdeMO across the street, and the sister hotel a block away (where I had been the last time up) had regular J1772 units, and were willing to let me charge up for the trip home.

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

miimura said:
The Mt. Shasta site is still not open, but this picture appeared in the Plugshare listing.

At first I thought there were more red dots in California than known sites, but after further review, those are all known and shown on my [url=https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1VEJLK0-wcAhWV8Q0MirTLULd5mg&ll=37.89190997490617%2C-120.02664558300972&z=7]map of future DCFC sites[/url].[/quote]

That is one kick-ass job with the map! I’ll be referencing that more often.

TonyWilliams said:
That is one kick-ass job with the map! I’ll be referencing that more often.
I'm a little surprised you didn't notice it before. I've posted it many times before, particularly in this thread. It's very easy to put together once you have the addresses. The most time intensive part was figuring out the addresses of the CalTrans sites that were only referenced by name.

miimura said:
Press release regarding the solar and battery fast charge stations to be installed at the Camp Roberts and Shandon rest areas.

Envision Solar to Deploy First Solar-Powered DC Fast Charging Stations for Central California Rest Areas

I love this quote from the press release:

"HP units are solar-powered and self-contained, so they don't require expensive electrical upgrades, disruptive trenching or new foundations. They are designed to fit within standard parking spaces and can be installed in less than a day"

Less than a day. Wow, I guess that means I can do a road trip this weekend. Right?

geo said:
miimura said:
Press release regarding the solar and battery fast charge stations to be installed at the Camp Roberts and Shandon rest areas.

Envision Solar to Deploy First Solar-Powered DC Fast Charging Stations for Central California Rest Areas

I love this quote from the press release:

"HP units are solar-powered and self-contained, so they don't require expensive electrical upgrades, disruptive trenching or new foundations. They are designed to fit within standard parking spaces and can be installed in less than a day"

Less than a day. Wow, I guess that means I can do a road trip this weekend. Right?

Everything just sits on top of the asphalt. Simple.

Back