Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Probable Gateway ECU Failure -- Read On
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:58 pm 

Official diagnosis as of today is that the Denso heater failed and the dc/dc converter (inverter) cabling. $7000+ in repairs. All covered by platinum warranty. Paid for itself already 4x over, and it`s only been 6 months.

Working on getting rental car now for what is estimated to take 30 days by the regional repair person to fix, due to parts ordering/backorder.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:33 pm 

SpicyUnagi wrote:
Official diagnosis as of today is that the Denso heater failed and the dc/dc converter (inverter) cabling. $7000+ in repairs. All covered by platinum warranty. Paid for itself already 4x over, and it`s only been 6 months.

Working on getting rental car now for what is estimated to take 30 days by the regional repair person to fix, due to parts ordering/backorder.

Very common failure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:52 pm 

$7,000 is crazy money for this stuff. I am lucky enough my heater failed without taking down the DC converter.
I wonder what a similar failure would cost on a BOLT?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:09 am 

smkettner wrote:
$7,000 is crazy money for this stuff. I am lucky enough my heater failed without taking down the DC converter.

We do this repair for $1500 in San Diego, California.

www.QuickChargePower.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:19 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
SpicyUnagi wrote:

Very common failure.

So, how do I go about making sure Toyota doesn't use refurbished parts? I only want new ones. Should I have someone well versed with the M-M warranty act involved whilst they do this?

Has anyone forced Toyota to buyback their Rav4 if has sat at the dealer in excess of two months?

I`m aware there`s another Rav4 EV that has been sitting at Toyota of Brookfield here in WI in excess of 6 months waiting for parts. Going to call the service manager over there to see if they ever resolved it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:18 pm 

SpicyUnagi wrote:
So, how do I go about making sure Toyota doesn't use refurbished parts? I only want new ones. Should I have someone well versed with the M-M warranty act involved whilst they do this?

Has anyone forced Toyota to buyback their Rav4 if has sat at the dealer in excess of two months?

I`m aware there`s another Rav4 EV that has been sitting at Toyota of Brookfield here in WI in excess of 6 months waiting for parts. Going to call the service manager over there to see if they ever resolved it.

I don't believe you have a right to insist they don't use refurbished parts. There are lemon laws that protect against long repair times, but you will be way past the time frames for most of them. You might sue for damages, but that would require careful legal advice specific to your state, I would think.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:48 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:
smkettner wrote:

We do this repair for $1500 in San Diego, California.

http://www.QuickChargePower.com
May give you a call in January.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:14 pm 

So the heater failed and it took down the cabling with it? or did it kill the converter too? or everything? Is it over 7k? as in 8k or 9k? +++?or just 7k something?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:33 pm 

cashcow wrote:
So the heater failed and it took down the cabling with it? or did it kill the converter too? or everything? Is it over 7k? as in 8k or 9k? +++?or just 7k something?

Whole heater assembly is down; dc/dc converter is down. They said $8000 in warranty repair work. No idea what retail is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:08 pm 

$6430 for the repairs. Somehow the regional tech got all the work done yesterday.

Got in the car, drove for 15 minutes, and Check EV system light came back on. Took back to dealer immediately. Lost all acceleration power/torque. Could put my foot to the floor and it would barely accelerate. Motor humming louder than normal.

New rental car ready this afternoon!