Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:29 pm 

Just had my DU replaced at 71k. Had noise starting around 30k but was very low. Around 65k it started getting annoying.

I"m in NY so I knew I was not going to get a tech to be able to tell how bad it was. I was able to get a tech to ride with me and make a video. They sent that video in and a DU was approved. DU shipped here and then a tech came in to do the swap.

Start to finish was 3-4 weeks. I think the swap was done over one day but I was out of town at the time so I was not paying attention.

As Tony has said before, it's smooth as butter now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:48 am 

Finally, after two months of waiting, the reconditioned DU came in and the noise is now eliminated.

After the CarMax warranty paying out $12,500, I had to pay about $1,500.

'13 Silver RAV4 EV #2178
(Aftermarket Leather Seats)
'11 Leaf SV (retired)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:54 pm 

Jonathan_UK wrote:
The CarMax warranty came though. They are paying up to the purchase price of the vehicle, covering almost $13K. I am having to pay about $1K on top. I am happy with this outcome.

The one downside I hadn't factored in, is that my warranty now comes to an end and will not cover any future repairs, so I will have to source my own replacement parts in future.

I'm now waiting for the replacement drivetrain to arrive at Toyota Carlsbad, which could take up to two months.

Ok, now buy the Toyota Platinum used car warranty, for up to 5 years / 60,000 miles.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:02 pm 

Looks like I'm next on the list. My motor needs replacing. About two weeks for the part to come in. Thankfully, still under warranty.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:02 pm 

I really hope this car isn't turning into a money pit.

Overnight, GOM reading on full normal charge changed from around 74 to around 66, and loud whine developed, seems to be relative to acceleration. Before anybody starts on GOM reliability, I watched it for a few days to see if it was consistent, and it is.

So is it a DU? Is the range reduction related in any way? Should I pay for a diagnostic, or am I in for an argument with Toyota about whether things need to be replaced or not?

:(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:02 pm 

How many miles? My GOM still goes to 130-150 range on full extended charge and CC off. 63k miles.
66 miles would kill me. I get about 110 on normal charge and running the air.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:45 pm 

smkettner wrote:
How many miles? My GOM still goes to 130-150 range on full extended charge and CC off. 63k miles.
66 miles would kill me. I get about 110 on normal charge and running the air.

About 59K, but it was on 50K when I got it.

Brand new, the range on these cars was 91/114.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:16 pm 

Just completed full extended charge.... 137 miles is shown. Mine must have an issue or a big shoe is about to drop.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:14 pm 

AgingHippie wrote:
I really hope this car isn't turning into a money pit.

Overnight, GOM reading on full normal charge changed from around 74 to around 66, and loud whine developed, seems to be relative to acceleration. Before anybody starts on GOM reliability, I watched it for a few days to see if it was consistent, and it is.

So is it a DU? Is the range reduction related in any way? Should I pay for a diagnostic, or am I in for an argument with Toyota about whether things need to be replaced or not?

:(

Check your coolant levels. If the drive unit bearings are getting really bad then the coolant seals may be leaking too and allow coolant to leak into the drive unit / inverter assembly - very bad.

If the car has a significant noise while driving, go to the dealer and ask them to test drive it, or ask to go for a ride with the service person. Hopefully they would not charge for this. But no one on this forum can predict what your local dealer will charge or whether you will have a rough time with them. If the noise is significant, they should make a recording and submit to Toyota corporate for DU replacement approval.

8/12/14 RAV4 EV #3008, Blizzard Pearl
9kW Solar Electric System
SDGE TOU metering
OpenEVSE 40 amp

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 pm 

My car was diagnosed with a bad motor in August by Glendale Toyota... still waiting for a new motor from Tesla.

This is getting frustrating. Is there any way to escalate this?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next