G48 Blue Anitfreeze

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
swogee said:
The link to O'reilly Auto Parts does show the correct antifreeze, but it is the 50/50 mixture and not the concentrate. I believe when the dealership did the coolant change out on my RAV4 EV they used a little over 2 gallons of the concentrate since I provided 3 gallons (two were used plus the third was open). I got my G-48 coolant from the local NAPA store.

I thought the concentrate was just being diluted to 50/50 with deionized water anyway. The Zerex is just premixed with decriminalized water. Does this make a difference?

Aki said:
swogee said:
The link to O'reilly Auto Parts does show the correct antifreeze, but it is the 50/50 mixture and not the concentrate. I believe when the dealership did the coolant change out on my RAV4 EV they used a little over 2 gallons of the concentrate since I provided 3 gallons (two were used plus the third was open). I got my G-48 coolant from the local NAPA store.

I thought the concentrate was just being diluted to 50/50 with deionized water anyway. The Zerex is just premixed with decriminalized water. Does this make a difference?

No.

The only difference between the two is the quantity of coolant required. I'm not sure of the exact capacity of the battery/inverter cooling systems but more of the 50/50 mix will be required than the concentrate.

I'm looking into getting some coolants to top off the reservoirs of the car and I ran into these:

G48 coolant:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077P3XQQC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Meets or exceeds performance requirements of: ASTM D3306, D6210-10, D7583; BS6580

Pink coolant:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1OOOE8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Seem to be readily available from amazon.
Does anybody know if these meet the specs of the original coolant?
Do you think these would be safe to use to top off?

Has anyone successfully preformed a coolant flush for the battery system? I took mine to the local mechanic that specializes in hybrids/EVs. At first they said no problem flushing it, but then after having it for a whole day and forcing me to drive their ICE car (at cost to me), they returned it without new coolant. I'm assuming they were worried they would damage the battery, since they had no idea what they were doing.

They told me they needed a special OBD type scan tool to open valves in the battery to get the coolant to flow through and they couldn't justify purchasing one, since I am the first Rav4 EV they have seen. Any Idea how true that is? I guess the other reason they needed the scanner was in case the CPU threw a code, they couldn't reset it.

I asked if it could be done with a fluid exchange systems, that hook into the rad hoses, I have used such systems while working at a shop. They said they didn't own one and these systems were not used on newer vehicles.

I have found that the Toyata in Bellingham has a tech come in about once a month so that is my only option at this point.

Back