Another Check EV system warning

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squidldy

Bought a dealer owned 2012 Rav4 EV this last April with ~35K miles on it. Have been learning about the car through all your posts - thank you! First got the check EV warning last month then about once a week. Cleared it each time with 3-5 restarts. A little over a week ago the check EV came back on but car would not shift out of neutral. I tried a number of restarts and disconnected the 12V battery for 5 minutes while waiting for a tow truck. Dealer had it about a week before Tesla pronounced the main traction battery dead. Waiting for a replacement, covered under original warranty. Had done the Tony test when I bought the car and had only 4% degradation so I'm a bit nervous on what the "new" refurbished will look like. Any advice?

Squidldy said:
Bought a dealer owned 2012 Rav4 EV this last April with ~35K miles on it. Have been learning about the car through all your posts - thank you! First got the check EV warning last month then about once a week. Cleared it each time with 3-5 restarts. A little over a week ago the check EV came back on but car would not shift out of neutral. I tried a number of restarts and disconnected the 12V battery for 5 minutes while waiting for a tow truck. Dealer had it about a week before Tesla pronounced the main traction battery dead. Waiting for a replacement, covered under original warranty. Had done the Tony test when I bought the car and had only 4% degradation so I'm a bit nervous on what the "new" refurbished will look like. Any advice?

I had my traction battery replaced earlier this year. Cost me about $500 since I had to have the Jdemo removed and reinstalled. I asked, just out of curiosity, if it was a new battery or if they took it from a totaled car. He told me it comes straight from Tesla. And it did, came in a huge Tesla crate. Haven't done a Tony test but the battery is fine. Charges at least 30 minutes into extended charge mode

Tesla is just refurbishing the packs. In most cases, this just means replacing the contactors. In some cases, they may be swapping out a battery module for another used one. Don't expect any of these batteries to be new. In some cases, it's possible you will get a battery with more degradation than the one you had.

Salinas Toyota had my car for just over three weeks. The loaner was a new Rav4 so I was not unhappy. The main traction battery was replaced and the Tony test puts it at 138 (compared to 140 in my last one). So the refurbished seems good and one of you will be getting my battery refurbished at some point. Everything was covered under the original 10yr/100,000 warranty.

Here are the codes: BMS_F038 contractor fault, BMS_F073 Unexpected bud behavior, BMS_W023 HV contractor damage, battery interlock switch okay.

Dang, same thing just happened to my car. 62,000 miles on my 2014 silver Rav and the battery is dead.

Plugged it into a 220 and it didn’t take a charge. Tried to move it later and it wouldn’t shift into ready. Thinking this is the normal fault I unplugged the 12v battery 5 times and restarted it 5 times after each battery reset. Dead. Towed to Toyota of Berkeley were they said the battery is dead and they put in an order for a replacement battery from Tesla.

My battery was still at 94% capacity so I’m hoping the new one doesn’t have less range. I was babying the battery by not charging the past 80 or 90 % for the last few years. All in vain.

Back