Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RAV4 EV 12V drained dead, replaced, still problems HELP
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:12 pm 

Looking to see if there is a "trick" that we haven't tried yet. We have a RAV4 EV in the Virgin Islands and no available dealer or mechanic that can assist, so we are on our own. Tried a lot of things already just looking for any additional suggestions. I have went through most of the forum as well already and attempted a couple things I read but still no go. Here's a run down.

12V drained dead overnight, lights were left on.
Replaced the next day.
System still not functioning - range quotes "180" which is way more than it ever was but says to plug-in, needs to charge.
Doesn't recognize normal charger or trickle charger.
Attempted soft reboot by power cycling 4 times.
Removed 12V again for a hard reboot.
Jump starter attempt.
About 6 hours messing with it and nothing.

In reviewing the manual I saw it listed a step of "opening and closing any door on the RAV4 EV" while attempting to jump from another vehicle, which I thought was extremely odd but ok. It was this random step that leads me to hope there is a trick to getting this car back aligned.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: RAV4 EV 12V drained dead, replaced, still problems HELP
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:46 pm 

My guess is you need a new gateway computer. Need to connect to the Toyota/Tesla diagnostics machine.
Too expensive to just replace blindly. And you may need the diagnostics machine to initialize it into the system.

Do you have any warranty? If you can't get a mobile Toyota mechanic you are probably looking at shipping the car to a dealer equipped to handle an EV.

Post subject: Re: RAV4 EV 12V drained dead, replaced, still problems HELP
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:22 am 

Something as simple as draining the 12 volt battery can trip so many error messages that it may be required that you take it to a Toyota dealer.

The Toyota dealer will need to be EV certified and have the ability access to the Tesla portion of the vehicle to clear the DTC’s messages.

If you have the Toyota Platinum warranty, call the 800 number and start a ticket. Beg for them to send the traveling repairmen.