RAV4 EV 12V drained dead, replaced, still problems HELP

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristie

Looking to see if there is a "trick" that we haven't tried yet. We have a RAV4 EV in the Virgin Islands and no available dealer or mechanic that can assist, so we are on our own. Tried a lot of things already just looking for any additional suggestions. I have went through most of the forum as well already and attempted a couple things I read but still no go. Here's a run down.

12V drained dead overnight, lights were left on.
Replaced the next day.
System still not functioning - range quotes "180" which is way more than it ever was but says to plug-in, needs to charge.
Doesn't recognize normal charger or trickle charger.
Attempted soft reboot by power cycling 4 times.
Removed 12V again for a hard reboot.
Jump starter attempt.
About 6 hours messing with it and nothing.

In reviewing the manual I saw it listed a step of "opening and closing any door on the RAV4 EV" while attempting to jump from another vehicle, which I thought was extremely odd but ok. It was this random step that leads me to hope there is a trick to getting this car back aligned.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My guess is you need a new gateway computer. Need to connect to the Toyota/Tesla diagnostics machine.
Too expensive to just replace blindly. And you may need the diagnostics machine to initialize it into the system.

Do you have any warranty? If you can't get a mobile Toyota mechanic you are probably looking at shipping the car to a dealer equipped to handle an EV.

Something as simple as draining the 12 volt battery can trip so many error messages that it may be required that you take it to a Toyota dealer.

The Toyota dealer will need to be EV certified and have the ability access to the Tesla portion of the vehicle to clear the DTC’s messages.

If you have the Toyota Platinum warranty, call the 800 number and start a ticket. Beg for them to send the traveling repairmen.

My wife is having the same issue in her car. We have an appointment at the local dealer this friday. Ill post when I know more.

Hello -

Thanks for responding. If you get any information on how they "fixed" the issue aside from having to run diagnostics with the machine, please let me know.

Our Rav's are warrantied in California so if we come to the conclusion that we cannot fix locally, due to no dealer or diagnostic machine on island, we will have to ship back to CA to fix and then sell :(

We'd love to keep them on island but sadly the broken one has now become a mere lawn ornament.

Thanks
Kristie

TonyWilliams said:
Something as simple as draining the 12 volt battery can trip so many error messages that it may be required that you take it to a Toyota dealer.

The Toyota dealer will need to be EV certified and have the ability access to the Tesla portion of the vehicle to clear the DTC’s messages.

If you have the Toyota Platinum warranty, call the 800 number and start a ticket. Beg for them to send the traveling repairmen.

Thanks for responding. Looks like we have to ship back to CA where it's warrantied :(

smkettner said:
My guess is you need a new gateway computer. Need to connect to the Toyota/Tesla diagnostics machine.
Too expensive to just replace blindly. And you may need the diagnostics machine to initialize it into the system.

Do you have any warranty? If you can't get a mobile Toyota mechanic you are probably looking at shipping the car to a dealer equipped to handle an EV.

Hi - Just wanted to thank you for responding. Will prob be shipping back to CA where it's warrantied and then selling :(

Kristie said:
TonyWilliams said:

Thanks for responding. Looks like we have to ship back to CA where it's warrantied :(

Good luck. I recommend Carlsbad Toyota. Ask for Steve Guerro in Service.

Important to understand the warranty. If it is a Toyota warranty, folks around the country have been successfully getting service done at a local Toyota shops, with Toyota corporate support.
If you only have a dealer warranty, from CA, then you would likely be stuck shipping.

Back