Tires

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgingHippie

So, right rear tire has slow leak, took it to tire place. Of course, can't be patched (never had a tire that could, I think they're lying about patching them).

Anyway, discovered that front tires and back tires are not the same brand, and the ones on the back are not LRR. Many questions:

Does anyone know the specific brand and model Toyota put on the RAV4 EV when it was new, and is it still available?

If the original tire is no longer available, is there a current recommendation from Toyota?

How important is LRR for range?

Is LRR worth 50% more for the tire?

Is there any benefit to LRR when only the front tires have it?

eplantz said:
they came with Yokohama Geolandar G055.

I replaced mine with Finnish-brand Nokian

Thanks. From what I can tell, the Yokos aren't LRR either. The Michelins on the front are LRR, but the Dunlops on the back aren't - I'm thinking the dealer was forced to replace the tires because of California law (tires have to have 1/2 their tread left when car is sold), so he got the cheapest thing that would fit.

Are the Nokians you got LRR?

I put on some Continental CorossContact LX20's.

They've been pretty good. About the same efficiency as the original tires. Supposed to be LRR, but they still have plenty of grip.

Has anyone used the MICHELIN DEFENDER T + H tires on the Rav4EV?
Its about time to buy new tires and thats what America's tire stocks for this car.

I presently have the Continental Cross-Contact LX20s and i like them now (and didnt notice a range change when i put them on)

I put in MICHELIN PREMIER LTX 225/65R17 102H BSW ALL SE from Costco about 4 months ago.
So far they've been pretty good. Good traction, not much of a drop in the GOM that I could notice.

I paid the heavenly price of $666 after all fees, taxes, etc. which is about the same price they have today plus some promotions if you have their cc.

https://tires.costco.com/Product?ItemNo=1133095&SearchID=2014%7C%7C%7CToyota%7C%7C%7CRAV4%7C%7C%7CEV%7C%7C%7C1%7C%7C%7Cen-us

n3ckf said:
Has anyone used the MICHELIN DEFENDER T + H tires on the Rav4EV?
Its about time to buy new tires and thats what America's tire stocks for this car.

I presently have the Continental Cross-Contact LX20s and i like them now (and didnt notice a range change when i put them on)
If you like the LX20's, I would get them again. Someone complained about the T+H, but I don't recall specifically what their complaint was.

If someone doesn't want to buy my Rav4 soon, I am going to put the Premier LTX's on. $624.96 installed. Unless someone tells me there is a better deal out there.
The person before me had put non H wheels on practically disabling sport mode for me... Thing squeals if I try.

KurtManz said:
I put in MICHELIN PREMIER LTX 225/65R17 102H BSW ALL SE from Costco about 4 months ago.
So far they've been pretty good. Good traction, not much of a drop in the GOM that I could notice.

I paid the heavenly price of $666 after all fees, taxes, etc. which is about the same price they have today plus some promotions if you have their cc.
AT 52k Oct2017, I ordered and had installed at Costco the Michelin X-Tour All-Season T+H 225/65R17 102(H) with 80k treadwear warranty. I bought the TPMS service pack, too.** 7.7% tax at the Grace store ("Woodinville", not really, two blocks outside, so no city tax, so it's the Costco to use for large purchases), $70 "instant rebate" from Michelin, came to $697 out the door. I didn't have a Costco CC at the time; I believe that's worth 2% add'l rebate, IIRC.

14k miles and a year later, I've been really pleased with these tires. Sure, wet uphill traction from a start is still dicey, but I don't think tires are going to fix that problem, and the Michelins are a lot better than what were on there. I run them at 32 PSI, not 40; I don't need the extra range and appreciate the comfort of more tire compliance.

I had Continentals on the MB when I bought it, and had the traction control light on all the time on freeway onramps, so it got Michelins, too. Never liked those Contis, sold 'em to a Lexus owner via CraigsList, made him a good deal.

**[later, Jan2023: It turns out I had purchased the TMPS "Service Package", which is basically just some gaskets for the TPMS sensors, not the sensors themselves, and the sensors have around a 10-year life. My tale of replacing the TPMS sensors is here.]

asavage said:
AT 52k Oct2017, I ordered and had installed at Costco the Michelin X-Tour All-Season T+H 225/65R17 102(H) with 80k treadwear warranty. I bought the TPMS service pack, too.

These Yokos seem to be giving me a bit of a rough ride, but I can't tell if that's the tires or my developing DU problem. Fortunately, I bet against myself and got a service plan with the car, so now it's just an issue of convincing them that it needs replacing, and with a range of 66 with the A/C on, and a whine that drowns out the radio, and a deceleration vibration that you can actually feel in the steering wheel, I don't think I'll get much argument from the dealer about fixing the car, even if it needs a new traction battery and onboard charger to go with the new DU.

Anyway, I never pay any attention to the tire maker's warranty, because it seems to be just something they make up, like "better ingredients, better pizza". I go by the NTSC codes on the tires, and I've always found that to be a good indication of how long they'll really last (and doesn't jack up the price like high mileage warranties do).

I just installed my second replacement set:

1) Yokohama originals - 40,000 miles
2) Michelin Defenders - 60,000 miles (90,000 warranty)
3) Michelin X-Tour All-Season T+H 225/65R17 102(H) from Costco (80,000 mile warranty)

AgingHippie said:
asavage said:
AT 52k Oct2017, I ordered and had installed at Costco the Michelin X-Tour All-Season T+H 225/65R17 102(H) . . .

These Yokos seem to be giving me a bit of a rough ride . . .

Well, I wouldn't call the ride exactly smooth, but that's more a function of tire pressure and spring rate. I will say that I'm a lot happier with the Michelins than the Yokos, but I admit that I run Michelins on everything I own. Like Snap-On tools, Interstate batteries, and Von Duprin exit devices, Michelins cost a lot more than they really should . . . and never give me any grief. Worth the premium, to me.

TonyWilliams said:
I just installed my second replacement set:

1) Yokohama originals - 40,000 miles
2) Michelin Defenders - 60,000 miles (90,000 warranty)
3) Michelin X-Tour All-Season T+H 225/65R17 102(H) from Costco (80,000 mile warranty)

I had Yokohama originals before, wasn't really happy with them. They are wearing too fast. Switched to Pirelli Tires (all season)

So I bought new tires for mine. I got something I haven’t seen listed on here yet.
I got Goodyear Assurance Maxlife Tires. Previous tires were at 3/32” and couldn’t step on it even in non sport mode without the tires spinning. The previous car owner also put not H rated tires on there.
Will be nice to have the appropriate tires on. Will update here with my experience with them
$515 installed AFTER $110 of mail in rebates.

After 20 miles they did pretty well. averaged 3.0 kwh/mi on the way home, and grip is significantly better than what I had. Less road noise too

Back