ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had my DU replaced at 71k. Had noise starting around 30k but was very low. Around 65k it started getting annoying.

I"m in NY so I knew I was not going to get a tech to be able to tell how bad it was. I was able to get a tech to ride with me and make a video. They sent that video in and a DU was approved. DU shipped here and then a tech came in to do the swap.

Start to finish was 3-4 weeks. I think the swap was done over one day but I was out of town at the time so I was not paying attention.

As Tony has said before, it's smooth as butter now.

Finally, after two months of waiting, the reconditioned DU came in and the noise is now eliminated.

After the CarMax warranty paying out $12,500, I had to pay about $1,500.

Jonathan_UK said:
The CarMax warranty came though. They are paying up to the purchase price of the vehicle, covering almost $13K. I am having to pay about $1K on top. I am happy with this outcome.

The one downside I hadn't factored in, is that my warranty now comes to an end and will not cover any future repairs, so I will have to source my own replacement parts in future.

I'm now waiting for the replacement drivetrain to arrive at Toyota Carlsbad, which could take up to two months.

Ok, now buy the Toyota Platinum used car warranty, for up to 5 years / 60,000 miles.

Looks like I'm next on the list. My motor needs replacing. About two weeks for the part to come in. Thankfully, still under warranty.

I really hope this car isn't turning into a money pit.

Overnight, GOM reading on full normal charge changed from around 74 to around 66, and loud whine developed, seems to be relative to acceleration. Before anybody starts on GOM reliability, I watched it for a few days to see if it was consistent, and it is.

So is it a DU? Is the range reduction related in any way? Should I pay for a diagnostic, or am I in for an argument with Toyota about whether things need to be replaced or not?

:(

How many miles? My GOM still goes to 130-150 range on full extended charge and CC off. 63k miles.
66 miles would kill me. I get about 110 on normal charge and running the air.

smkettner said:
How many miles? My GOM still goes to 130-150 range on full extended charge and CC off. 63k miles.
66 miles would kill me. I get about 110 on normal charge and running the air.

About 59K, but it was on 50K when I got it.

Brand new, the range on these cars was 91/114.

Just completed full extended charge.... 137 miles is shown. Mine must have an issue or a big shoe is about to drop.

AgingHippie said:
I really hope this car isn't turning into a money pit.

Overnight, GOM reading on full normal charge changed from around 74 to around 66, and loud whine developed, seems to be relative to acceleration. Before anybody starts on GOM reliability, I watched it for a few days to see if it was consistent, and it is.

So is it a DU? Is the range reduction related in any way? Should I pay for a diagnostic, or am I in for an argument with Toyota about whether things need to be replaced or not?

:(

Check your coolant levels. If the drive unit bearings are getting really bad then the coolant seals may be leaking too and allow coolant to leak into the drive unit / inverter assembly - very bad.

If the car has a significant noise while driving, go to the dealer and ask them to test drive it, or ask to go for a ride with the service person. Hopefully they would not charge for this. But no one on this forum can predict what your local dealer will charge or whether you will have a rough time with them. If the noise is significant, they should make a recording and submit to Toyota corporate for DU replacement approval.

My car was diagnosed with a bad motor in August by Glendale Toyota... still waiting for a new motor from Tesla.

This is getting frustrating. Is there any way to escalate this?

asavage said:
My warranty replacement DU took five weeks to obtain, and one day to swap.

I'm hoping to convince them to pre-order the parts, once we find out which parts. It's getting much louder, and range shorter, and now there's a deceleration vibration, but it's still driveable.

AgingHippie said:
asavage said:
My warranty replacement DU took five weeks to obtain, and one day to swap.

I'm hoping to convince them to pre-order the parts, once we find out which parts. It's getting much louder, and range shorter, and now there's a deceleration vibration, but it's still driveable.

The range shouldn’t change at all. If you’re referring to the GOM, yes, of course that changes.

I was able to drive mine during the five-week wait. My DU noise was fairly mild, though. Whether you can drive yours while until the parts arrive is your gamble. I doubt Toyota/Tesla care about any further damage that might me incurred to the existing DU, but it's possible the vehicle might decide to stop moving, and you'll have to decide if that's worth the impact to your lifestyle & scheduling.

It has now been 12 weeks since my motor was diagnosed, and I'm still waiting on Glendale Toyota.

The motor is starting to get pretty noisy, I need to get this resolved. I'm going to call them again this week. Past that, does anyone have suggestions on how to escalate this?

geo said:
It has now been 12 weeks since my motor was diagnosed, and I'm still waiting on Glendale Toyota.

The motor is starting to get pretty noisy, I need to get this resolved. I'm going to call them again this week. Past that, does anyone have suggestions on how to escalate this?
Open a case with the Toyota Customer Experience Center. 1-800-331-4331

I'm at 59,500 miles and the whine is present but still not too annoying. I hear it mostly above 40mph. I'm going to take it in to Tony A. at Palo Alto see if I can get it replaced while still under the 60K drive train warranty. Is there any particular advice anyone has for exactly how to frame the problem for the service advisor? I also have the 'clunk' on stopping that there is another thread about, so we'll see about that one too. Thanks.

astroev said:
I'm at 59,500 miles and the whine is present but still not too annoying. I hear it mostly above 40mph. I'm going to take it in to Tony A. at Palo Alto see if I can get it replaced while still under the 60K drive train warranty. Is there any particular advice anyone has for exactly how to frame the problem for the service advisor? I also have the 'clunk' on stopping that there is another thread about, so we'll see about that one too. Thanks.
The guys at Palo Alto know the drill. Just tell them you want to have the drive unit evaluated for noise and they'll know what to do. I got mine replaced there just before my 5 years ran out. I'm still under 60k.

miimura said:
astroev said:
The guys at Palo Alto know the drill. Just tell them you want to have the drive unit evaluated for noise and they'll know what to do. I got mine replaced there just before my 5 years ran out. I'm still under 60k.

Thanks for the info. Tony indeed knew the drill. Unfortunately my whine was deemed not loud enough, "the replacement motors are louder than yours". Also they couldn't get my 'clunk' either, so came out empty handed. Tony only charged me for one diagnostic fee instead of two (which he initially told me I'd have to pay), so at least there is that.

Back