Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Caltrans Rav still on duty
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm 

Saw this Caltrans Rav in Sacramento this morning. I remember reading here that Caltrans bought a good number of them. I've only seen a couple of the Caltrans Ravs over the years, good to see them still in service. UC Davis Unitrans has or had a 2012, but I haven't seen it lately, instead been seeing them driving a Ford Energi around.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D9SwiMzHSmTteUAc6

2012 Rav4EV (#1528); charged w/ JdeMO, Jesla; 81,000 miles and counting,
2018 Model 3 (#131xx)
6.2 kW PV

My 2 cents: http://ventricular.org/ItsElectric/

Post subject: Re: Caltrans Rav still on duty
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:43 am 

snoltor wrote:
Saw this Caltrans Rav in Sacramento this morning. I remember reading here that Caltrans bought a good number of them. I've only seen a couple of the Caltrans Ravs over the years, good to see them still in service. UC Davis Unitrans has or had a 2012, but I haven't seen it lately, instead been seeing them driving a Ford Energi around.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D9SwiMzHSmTteUAc6

There is at least one in San Luis Obispo.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:41 pm 

The RAV4 EV based in CALTRANS District 5 (San Luis Obispo) was traded away to District 12 (Orange County) since the persons in charge felt it was not very useful. (They only used it to make short trips to the post office.) I think they got a minivan instead. District 5 management seems indifferent to EV's. The last batch of new vehicles included several Volts but no pure EV's such as the Bolt which other districts have.

On a side note I tried my hardest to convince CALTRANS to install the JDEMO on the their RAV4 EV's with no luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 pm 

swogee wrote:
On a side note I tried my hardest to convince CALTRANS to install the JDEMO on the their RAV4 EV's with no luck.

You were probably too early. When the district yards (some of them) have DCFCs installed it would make more sense.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:27 pm 

miimura wrote:
swogee wrote:

You were probably too early. When the district yards (some of them) have DCFCs installed it would make more sense.

It's actually up to the equipment division at CALTRANS to decide what goes on the vehicles. (Lights, radio, etc) AFAIK there are no L3 chargers installed in any maintenance yard or CALTRANS facility. The only facilities that will have them in the future are the rest stops near Camp Roberts and Shandon. There are no plans at this time to install L3 chargers at the maintenance stations. Initially CALTRANS EV's could not even charge outside of their base of operation until they finally got a network charge card setup. An L3 charging station at the King City maintenance station would have been very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:38 pm 

swogee wrote:
It's actually up to the equipment division at CALTRANS to decide what goes on the vehicles. (Lights, radio, etc) AFAIK there are no L3 chargers installed in any maintenance yard or CALTRANS facility. The only facilities that will have them in the future are the rest stops near Camp Roberts and Shandon. There are no plans at this time to install L3 chargers at the maintenance stations. Initially CALTRANS EV's could not even charge outside of their base of operation until they finally got a network charge card setup. An L3 charging station at the King City maintenance station would have been very helpful.

I probably got my facility terminology wrong, but there are CalTrans sites identified in their "30-30" plan for DCFC installation that are at CalTrans facilities that are not rest stops. These are just some of the examples with the Google Maps place name indicated.
CalTrans Kettleman City Maintenance Station
Fresno - California Department of Transportation
Madera - Department of Transportation
Clearlake Oaks Maintenance Station
CalTrans Willow Creek Maintenance Station

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:24 pm 

miimura wrote:
I probably got my facility terminology wrong, but there are CalTrans sites identified in their "30-30" plan for DCFC installation that are at CalTrans facilities that are not rest stops. These are just some of the examples with the Google Maps place name indicated.
CalTrans Kettleman City Maintenance Station
Fresno - California Department of Transportation
Madera - Department of Transportation
Clearlake Oaks Maintenance Station
CalTrans Willow Creek Maintenance Station

Yes, I do recall the 30-30 plan that was pushed by governor Brown. While it does have some proposed CALTRANS L3 charging stations located at maintenance stations those were culled from a list of suggested locations from the planning dept at CALTRANS. I was the one that pushed to have the King City Maintenance station added to that list in District 5. Not all of the proposed locations will get L3 chargers. The drive behind the installation of the L3 charging stations at CALTRANS facilities was primarily to aid the traveling public in the adoption of EV's (as opposed to the support of the CALTRANS vehicle fleet). Originally they were supposed to be done by November 2018. See the link below to the 30-30 plan.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjlzMq4mPXfAhXJwMQHHWwqAngQFjAAegQIChAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dot.ca.gov%2Fhq%2Ftransprog%2Fctcliaison%2F2017%2F1217%2Fsuperbook%2F49_4.20_Combined4Linking.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1Fp-YPHLDlC83yvfd7FUyF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:39 pm 

I used that original 2017 document to add the named sites to my Google map of State funded future DCFC sites. Has there been any update to the plan? I don't see that any of them are online yet. The Camp Roberts and Shandon rest stops will allegedly get a new system designed by Envision that will have a small grid connection, batteries, and solar to power a single DCFC unit. Hopefully those will be installed and online by Summer 2019.

Future California Funded DCFC Sites