Just purchased a 2012 w/ 2550 miles ~ I have questions

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LVpatrick

So I finally pulled the trigger on getting one, been watching them for years.... got one out of Florida with 2550 miles on it.... 2012.... So I have some questions to get me started and forgive me if these are easily answered, I have poked around a bit, but wanted some clarity...

Car is in Las Vegas… is there a Toyota dealer here that works on them?

How do I find out if the car already has the Toyota Extra Care Platinum VSA? If the vehicle does not is there a local Vegas dealership where I can purchase the warranty? I called one dealership in Vegas and I was told they could not offer the platinum zero deductible warranty unless the car was purchased from them (which it was not) I have read that the Toyota dealership in Bozeman Montana is a good place to purchase, but local would be preferred. What is a good price to pay for the Toyota VSA for this vehicle? Can I even get the Toyota one?

The car came with the standard 120 charger which I have not tried to use yet (just got the car) What charger is suggested? The vehicle is going to be driven locally, most trips daily trips will be 2-5 miles but some as much as 20 but not very often. My guess is the Level 2 would be best, but looking for more clarification. Since the trips are short, is sticking with the 120 charger an ok way to go? Also, what charging habits or methods are best for battery life and range for the driving mentioned?

The 12v battery looks like it was replaced in late 2017. Is there anything that that needs to be addressed being the vehicle is a 2012 with only 2550 miles on it?

If anyone has any input or comments to make it would be greatly appreciated. Also, relevant links and other information that would help get me going in the right direction would be very helpful as well.

Thank you.

Any Toyota dealership should be able to look up the service history, recall completion and extended warranty information. This should have been done before purchase. The extended warranty may need to be transferred (registered) to the new owner, I'm not sure.

Have the 12v battery tested and replace if necessary. The 12v battery is worked very hard by this EV, and is a major source of error codes and service issues, especially in cars that are seldom driven.

Definitely invest in a L2 charger unless you are regularly charging at work or a convenient and affordable public charger. But what happens when they are taken? Get a L2 charger IMHO.

The Bosch AGM 24F is the battery we all recommend. Its a direct replacement and easy to do.

It sounds like you would be fine with a 120v charger. We have 2 ravs. Depending on what our travels are going to be like the following day, one of use will use the 240 plug and the othe will use the 120. The only issue would be if you NEEDED the range quickly for a trip. 120 charges VERY slowly, only a few miles per hour of charge. A 240 charger would also be slightly more efficient. I recommend OpenEVSE. I have 2 of them and they work great.

asavage said:
jimbo69ny said:
May I ask why?

1) http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27935#p27935

2) http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27640#p27640

I just read those and it appears that the only person discussed with the Bosch batteries in your examples is you. I didnt read any other negative comments from anyone else about the Bosch batteries.

Bosch batteries are good and the way to go. Many hundreds of us use them.

jimbo69ny said:
I just read those and it appears that the only person discussed with the Bosch batteries in your examples is you. I didnt read any other negative comments from anyone else about the Bosch batteries.

[shrug]
You claimed we ALL like Bosch batteries. I'm here, I don't like them, I corrected your overstatement. Sue me: I worked "in the industry" and I don't like them. IMO, they're both over-priced (even on sale) and over-rated.

Bosch batteries are good and the way to go. Many hundreds of us use them.

Your opinion. I respect that, but it's not fact.

Now that I think on it, I have come around to not liking all Bosch products, period, and I realized why: failed crankshaft position sensors.

A CPS is at it's heart a coil of wire, embedded in plastic. And on Mercedes of a certain vintage, these things failed with alarming frequency.

I mean: it's a coil of wire and Bosch couldn't reliably get 200k miles out of it.

This is just one of a handful of examples of why I would replace a Bosch anything with anybody else's product.

WRT to Bosch batteries, I pulled an awful lot of them out of service well before their rated range. Not as many as Exide, but a lot more than, say, Die Hard or Interstate. Based on that, my personal, first-person experience, I will not purchase nor recommend Bosch batteries. And I won't be willingly included in a blanket statement that WE ALL like, recommend, endorse them.

I felt I owed you a fuller explanation.

I hope you realize that Bosch is not the actual manufacturer of the 24F AGM battery that many of us are using. The exact same battery is also sold branded as an Exide, even with the same blue plastic case. There are just not that many manufacturers of lead batteries in the USA.

miimura said:
I hope you realize that Bosch is not the actual manufacturer of the 24F AGM battery that many of us are using. The exact same battery is also sold branded as an Exide, even with the same blue plastic case. There are just not that many manufacturers of lead batteries in the USA.

[nods]

Back